Watching 4K HDR programing via a 4K Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gstill

Original poster
Dec 26, 2021
Atlanta GA
I tried to join this Form a year ago it would not let me but I tried to join again today and it let me in this time ( never got the e-mail confirmation). I came back here today to see if there was any updated about the 4K Joey playing 4k HDR programing. So, I wanted to post what I have found out just in case anyone cares at this time.

There is one way you can watch Sports live from the 4k Joey I just did this last night to watch the Eagles and Giants game. First set up game finder for the sports you want to watch, next have your TV on any channel just before the game starts and when the Game finder popup in the bottom left hand corner states you game on 540-1 is about to start, press select on you remote and the 4K joey will turn to channel 540-1. Note if you leave 540-1 you cannot go back to the channel. Since I planned to only watch to half time. I record 540-1 from the Hopper 3 and once recorded I moved the recorded game to an external hard drive. Once the recorded game was on external hard drive the 4k Joey will see and play the recording. I have also read that if you record the 540-1 program from the hopper you can get the 4K Joey to join that tuner ( I have not tried this but I read it in a different form)
I really like to know why Dish will not fix this issue because I been using the method for almost a year now and have called Dish 3 or 4 times and even had one higher level support person over 6 months ago said it be fix in a future update.

I have been using my iPad and the DishAnywhere App to record the 4K HDR event. While the event is recording, the Red button on the remote for my upstairs Joey 4K brings up the TV Activity pop-up and you can select the 4K event being recorded.
1674434991875.jpeg
1674435013921.jpeg
1674435040747.jpeg

I have a Hopper 3 + Hopper Plus, and then 3 x Joey 4K units in various rooms.

Hopper 3 is wired to my network via ethernet, and all Joey 4K units are connected via ethernet as well (this is technically unsupported by Dish as they want you to use MoCA/coax).

My Joey 4K's haven't had any issues viewing 540-01 4K HDR events with this setup. Even yesterday, the 49ers vs Cowboys game worked fine in 4K HDR.

This is on the original Joey 4K I got back in 2016, not the new Google OS-based Joey 4 that pairs with the Hopper Plus. My Hopper 3 and my Joey 4K are using the Jan 13 2023 Software (x33).

Reactions: charlesrshell
I recorded the 49ers vs Cowboys game on my Hopper and use the "Join the event" (tuner) and it work with no issue on my 4 K Joey
(not a Joey 4). I thought about trying the Ethernet idea but I read they have to be on their own network (separate from my router) not sure if that is true or not, I guess I could get a second router and isolate them to stay on that sub-net ( that may work).

But thanks for posting these other methods!

I thought about trying the Ethernet idea but I read they have to be on their own network (separate from my router)
No. The receivers all have to be on a network, this can be your home network or the Hopper created one via MoCA. Now if your home network is not up to the task then you can expect problems, but I have had Joeys on 100Mbit ethernet work just fine. YMMV.

I guess I could get a second router and isolate them to stay on that sub-net ( that may work).
Absolutely unnecessary, especially the separate subnet part. If you really want to isolate the traffic then you can just connect the Hopper/Joey via ethernet directly. If bridging is enabled and the Hopper connected to your home network it will provide a IP address from your home LAN to the Joey as well, otherwise it will use autogenerated IP addresses without internet connectivity.

Well, after recording the Michigan vs Iowa game Thursday evening on 540-1, I was able to watch it on my Samsung 4K non-HDR TV (vintage 2015). The color was pale probably because of the lack of interpretation of the HDR info by my TV but the program did record and can be watched on a non-HDR 4K TV by a similar method to what the Joey 4K users have been doing. No need to transfer to an EHD.
Just play the program (you get the message that it is not compatible with the non-HDR TV) but just cancel out of the error message and the program is there to watch. Don't click OK, cancel. OK sends you back to the program last watched on a tuner.

Last edited:
I tried to join this Form a year ago it would not let me but I tried to join again today and it let me in this time ( never got the e-mail confirmation). I came back here today to see if there was any updated about the 4K Joey playing 4k HDR programing. So, I wanted to post what I have found out just in case anyone cares at this time.

There is one way you can watch Sports live from the 4k Joey I just did this last night to watch the Eagles and Giants game. First set up game finder for the sports you want to watch, next have your TV on any channel just before the game starts and when the Game finder popup in the bottom left hand corner states you game on 540-1 is about to start, press select on you remote and the 4K joey will turn to channel 540-1. Note if you leave 540-1 you cannot go back to the channel. Since I planned to only watch to half time. I record 540-1 from the Hopper 3 and once recorded I moved the recorded game to an external hard drive. Once the recorded game was on external hard drive the 4k Joey will see and play the recording. I have also read that if you record the 540-1 program from the hopper you can get the 4K Joey to join that tuner ( I have not tried this but I read it in a different form)
I really like to know why Dish will not fix this issue because I been using the method for almost a year now and have called Dish 3 or 4 times and even had one higher level support person over 6 months ago said it be fix in a future update.

I didn't see 540-1 and 540-2 on my 4k Joeys, only the on the Hopper (540-3 appeared on both Hopper and 4k Joeys), but the Hopper is on an older TV that doesn't support 4K. This February, I was unable to watch the Super Bowl in 4K, because it aired on 540-1 or 540-2, but not on 540-3, and therefore not on any 4k Joey.

I went around with Dish on the phone, resetting Joeys and the Hopper, multiple service visits since then, just replaced the Hopper 3, and still no 540-1 and 540-2 on the Joeys. Finally, we realized it's because the 4K Joey DOES NOT SUPPORT HDR AND 540-1 AND 540-2 ARE HDR, THEREFORE WON'T WORK ON Joey 4k.

This is insane. So Dish offers a 4k Joey, but most of the 4k content won't work on it, because it's also HDR (which is good in and of itself), which is incompatible with the 4k Joey.

Is there a separate Joey 4 that's different from Joey 4k that addresses this and that I should be using instead of my apparently useless (for 4k) Joey 4ks? Or is there no current solution to this problem? (hard to research this for the past few weeks, because much of Dish is down following the ransomware attack).

I didn't see 540-1 and 540-2 on my 4k Joeys, only the on the Hopper (540-3 appeared on both Hopper and 4k Joeys), but the Hopper is on an older TV that doesn't support 4K. This February, I was unable to watch the Super Bowl in 4K, because it aired on 540-1 or 540-2, but not on 540-3, and therefore not on any 4k Joey.

I went around with Dish on the phone, resetting Joeys and the Hopper, multiple service visits since then, just replaced the Hopper 3, and still no 540-1 and 540-2 on the Joeys. Finally, we realized it's because the 4K Joey DOES NOT SUPPORT HDR AND 540-1 AND 540-2 ARE HDR, THEREFORE WON'T WORK ON Joey 4k.

This is insane. So Dish offers a 4k Joey, but most of the 4k content won't work on it, because it's also HDR (which is good in and of itself), which is incompatible with the 4k Joey.

Is there a separate Joey 4 that's different from Joey 4k that addresses this and that I should be using instead of my apparently useless (for 4k) Joey 4ks? Or is there no current solution to this problem? (hard to research this for the past few weeks, because much of Dish is down following the ransomware attack).
After posting, I did find some information on this and other sites that there is indeed a Joey 4.0, which is NOT the same as the Joey 4k, and it's not even that new anymore. Came out in early 2022. I order a Joey to watch the Super Bowl from Dish and they sent me the 4k, which was not capable of showing the Super Bowl instead of the newer and capable Joey 4.0.

It's not the Joey 4K can't display 4K content, but that it can't display HDR content. The problem is that all the new/current 4K programming on DISH is ALSO IN HDR (which is good -- if anything HDR is more important to the viewing experience than 4K, especially if you have an OLED TV where the brightness differences between HDR and non-HDR are, well, yes, night and day). HDR is much less visible on non-OLED TV's. Therefore, none of the new/current 4K content is accessible on the 4K Joey.

I get that the people at Dish are not engineers and may not know anything beyond what's on their script and that they may have older Joey 4K inventory to unload, but you'd think they would at least set the policy when the new Joey 4.0 came out that 100% of new Joey's shipping out to customers specifically asking for 4K content would be the new Joey 4.0, because the older 4K models don't actually support any of their current 4K content.

It doesn't help that the names are so similar: Joey 4 does not equal Joey 4K, and to actually watch 4K, you need the Joey 4, NOT the Joey 4K. I can understand their phone staff being confused thanks to their own naming. Maybe they should have skipped 4 and went right to Joey 5. :)

The Joey 4 came out the same time as the Hopper+. From my understanding some folks were able to get them to work with the Hopper without the Hopper+ and some weren’t. At one point, Dish wouldn’t let you order them without getting the Hopper+. That may have changed.

According to many, the Hopper+/Joey 4 setup is still pretty buggy. The Hopper plus also disables multiview. Which is a great feature to have this time of year.

I’ve had the worthless Joey 4K since it came out. It’s just a visual reminder of a bunch of broken promises.

I’m pretty sure I had to pay extra for it too, compared to the other Joeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scuttlebutt is that if you record a 4KHDR program on your Hopper3, you can play it on the Joey 4K.

So start the recording and go to your Joey 4K and begin playing it with only a slight delay.

I cannot confirm this situation since I have not gotten a Joey 4K because of this problem.

I Started this post because you can watch channels 540-1 and 540-2 and if your TV has HDR and is connected to a 4K Joey, you will see the Picture in 4K HDR mode. You are correct that you can not see channels 540-1 and 540-2 from the 4k Joey, nor can you see a 4k HDR recording that is on the Hopper 3's internal HDD. In my first post, I explained how to use the Game-finder to start the program that is 4K HDR on channel 540-1 or 540-2. In the second Post, "Foxbat" gives a good example when you set the hopper 3 to record the program on the HDR channels how you can use the 4k Joey to to select the event on the Hopper 3 while it is recording and it will play on the 4k Joey in 4k HDR mode. I know both methods work because I been using the game finder method for about a year and for the Super Bowl this year "FoxBat's method work for me with no issues.
My Hopper is connected to a 1080P Epson projector and does not do 4k. My Joey 4K is connected to a 65inch Samsung TV that is 4k HDR. Why Dish will not fix the 4K joey and and every level 1 and 2 support person at dish will tell it the 4K Joey will not do HDR I cannot answer. But I currently have the 2023 SuperBowl on my external HDD and if I play it with my 4k Joey it puts my TV in 4k HDR mode.

I Started this post because you can watch channels 540-1 and 540-2 and if your TV has HDR and is connected to a 4K Joey, you will see the Picture in 4K HDR mode. You are correct that you can not see channels 540-1 and 540-2 from the 4k Joey, nor can you see a 4k HDR recording that is on the Hopper 3's internal HDD. In my first post, I explained how to use the Game-finder to start the program that is 4K HDR on channel 540-1 or 540-2. In the second Post, "Foxbat" gives a good example when you set the hopper 3 to record the program on the HDR channels how you can use the 4k Joey to to select the event on the Hopper 3 while it is recording and it will play on the 4k Joey in 4k HDR mode. I know both methods work because I been using the game finder method for about a year and for the Super Bowl this year "FoxBat's method work for me with no issues.
My Hopper is connected to a 1080P Epson projector and does not do 4k. My Joey 4K is connected to a 65inch Samsung TV that is 4k HDR. Why Dish will not fix the 4K joey and and every level 1 and 2 support person at dish will tell it the 4K Joey will not do HDR I cannot answer. But I currently have the 2023 SuperBowl on my external HDD and if I play it with my 4k Joey it puts my TV in 4k HDR mode.

This looks like it could be a very good work-around, but I'm confused. You wrote, "nor can you see a 4K HDR recording that is on the Hopper 3's internal HDD" (which I take to mean the 4K Joey can't play recording 4K HDR content) and also "you set the hopper 3 to record the program on the HDR channels how you can use the 4k Joey to to select the event on the Hopper 3 while it is recording and it will play on the 4k Joey in 4k HDR mode" (which sounds like it can watch recording 4K HDR content on the Joey 4K).

At first, those appear to be in conflict...

Does that mean that you can only watch 4k on the Joey 4k by starting the recording from the Hopper (where the 540-1 and 540-2 channels are available) and then hitting the Option button to tune into an active show on another box WHILE IT IS ACTIVELY RECORDING, but that you can play the recording back again after the recording completes (per your first quote)? Effectively, you can only watch live content, but it can be paused or delayed during the original airing, but you can never go back and watch it again? How odd, if that's what you're saying.

In my case, where the Hopper 3 is only connected to an HD (not 4K and not HDR) TV, will it even let me set the Hopper to 540-1 or 540-2? There's no 4k programming on them normally for me to test this.

This looks like it could be a very good work-around, but I'm confused. You wrote, "nor can you see a 4K HDR recording that is on the Hopper 3's internal HDD" (which I take to mean the 4K Joey can't play recording 4K HDR content) and also "you set the hopper 3 to record the program on the HDR channels how you can use the 4k Joey to to select the event on the Hopper 3 while it is recording and it will play on the 4k Joey in 4k HDR mode" (which sounds like it can watch recording 4K HDR content on the Joey 4K).

At first, those appear to be in conflict...

Does that mean that you can only watch 4k on the Joey 4k by starting the recording from the Hopper (where the 540-1 and 540-2 channels are available) and then hitting the Option button to tune into an active show on another box WHILE IT IS ACTIVELY RECORDING, but that you can play the recording back again after the recording completes (per your first quote)? Effectively, you can only watch live content, but it can be paused or delayed during the original airing, but you can never go back and watch it again? How odd, if that's what you're saying.

In my case, where the Hopper 3 is only connected to an HD (not 4K and not HDR) TV, will it even let me set the Hopper to 540-1 or 540-2? There's no 4k programming on them normally for me to test this.

I will try again, the Joey will not see channels 540-1 or 540-2 and it can not see a 4k recording that is made from the hopper 3 and stored on the internal hard drive. However you can still record channels 540-1 and 540-2 from the hopper 3 (see *) and it will store the 4k event on the internal Disk in the hopper 3. You just cannot replay it because the 4K Joey will not see the recording nor will you be able to watch it from the Hopper 3 because your TV on the Hopper 3 is not 4k. But once the recording starts you can using the example posted by Foxbat to connect to that "active" recording and watch it live on the 4K Joey (Using Startover) and it will play to the end even if the recording has finishes before you stop watching. Now once the recording is complete and the 4 K joey had dropped the connection to the tuner that was recorded the event, the only way to watch the recorded event is to use the hopper 3 to copy it to an external hdd that is connected to the hopper 3. Once the 4k recording is on the Hopper 3's external hdd the 4k Joey will see it and play it but you still can not watch it from the hopper 3 because your hopper 3 is not connected to a 4k TV. These are workarounds because Dish will not fix this,

* Just one more note I think when I went to set up the 4k recording via hopper 3 I had used the manual process for recording as the hopper gave me a error when I tried to using the channel guide to record the event.

Now you stated how you can use the 4k Joey to to select the event on the Hopper 3 - Please look at the "SECOND post" from the top made by user Foxbat which he explained with pictures.