Watching a channel during uplink change

phillycreamboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
I am still a newbie here but I have a silly question that I have to ask. I alway look at the uplink reports to see what is going on with Dish Network. I am wondering what it looks like to the average customer when Dish makes a change like:

9435 STZHD MOVED FROM Tp 10 ConUS beam on EchoStar 5 at 129w
TO Tp 27 ConUS beam on EchoStar 5 at 129w

Does the receiver have to download new information to tell it that the channel has moved? Does the picture interupt?

Just Curious.

So far, we don't have reports what show us real changes in video/audio stream(s).
Those posted updates came from System Tables changes what used by receivers certain ways. Basically speaking, each receiver hold two version of the tables and flop between them when time is right.
How audio/video stream syncronize with SI tables ? That's will be an answer to your question.

I've seen the screen flicker, or go black for a brief sec, or hear a phone being dialed over the audio (the audio mysteriously started to get lower right before) and then a minute later it happened again. all the while when these changes were happening both with satellite and cable when the feed they have changes that stuff too. normaly it happens in the 2-3am est time frame

I'm guessing that maybe these changes don't happen instantly, rather the signal is kept uplinked to the old location for a little while until for sure all receivers have got the new tables (4 hours for example per Smith's statement above), so in real-time a "move" would actually be an add to new location then a delete from old location some hours later.

If this is the case, then the receiver could automatically switch to the new location when it gets an updated table, just a momentary 'blip' while that happens and nothing else.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)