Watching a president tank:( (bush)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NightHawk said:
Witless? You have nothing other than "it's just gotta be there I know it" What is this magic source of energy? I'm an engineer so I know something about science and your platitudes about renewable energy sources sound nice but ultimately unrealistic. We are not at the "end of days" and Iraq is not the apocalypse. The US leads the world in technology and corn is not the answer. The entire world is working on finding the next answer, as it should be, but for now it's very short-sighted to condone crippling the worlds economic engine because of prehistoric madmen who currently control the worlds energy source because of a simple geographic happenstance.

Here's a bit of recommended reading, an essay by columnist Thomas Friedman that really brings the topic of energy and environment to the quick of the new American Patriotism. Not all conclusive, but it raises the discussion, which is what we really need. Originally run in the NYT, here's a free-to-access transcription:

http://timworstall.typepad.com/timworstall/2006/01/thomas_friedman.html

And here's one mutual fund, whose fund family just got purchased by AIG I think, that offers a sampling of the companies/technologies being developed (a good hedge against traditional energy stocks in a portfolio, too ;))...

http://www.powershares.com/pbwfund.asp

One last thing, I have great respect for engineers and scientists. My line of thinking goes back to my good friend and former post-college roommate. He occasionaly brought me into his lab and shared bits of his research while he was pursuing his doctorate at University of Chicago in Physical Chemistry. Their main project was one funded by the Dept. of Energy and Dept. of Defense, studying organic compounds photosynthesis capabilities. Seems organic photosynthesis is in the order of 98% efficient, while silicon-based is something like 13% or less. So, they were using lasers and fractional micron sensitive measuring equipment to study the exact chemical processes involved. Seems the military and our governmental agencies see serious merit in the research and its been a big program at several universities for some time (this particular lab was in the early-mid-90s). Feel free to look up some info, I know there are several papers published. Here's an article from last year (my friend did his post-doc at the lab at Berkeley):

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/sabl/2005/May/01-solar-to-fuel.html

So, no fantasy here. Just science looking to do something very real and very positive for humanity. I hope that 'market forces' get with it or your and my children and grandchildren will only suffer more of the myriad negative consequences of our dependency on fossil fuels. That's a fact.

Marc Kessler said:
You're wasting your time imparting the truth to these right wing nut cretins here.[/QUOTE

Another great post by Mr. Whisky. Name calling is such a relief in lieu of substance.

Bob Haller said:
wether or not bush should of invaded if you invade you do it right.

selective war just breeds more grief look at korea as a example

or kennedys bay of pigs with cuba, cuba went on to create lots of trouble although today he is old and more like a aging irritant,.//

Yeah bushes disapproval poll numbers are so great the replublicans will pay the ultimate price during the coming congressional election.

that probably sparked the houses block port sale to fund war bill.

attempt by house to prove they arent a bush rubber stamp. since bush promised to veto any bill blocking port sale.

I DONT believe this will help the voters anger over how the country is going...

hey bobbert,(I MEANT THAT)

how many beers did you have before that rambling , incoherent post?

was it a free pot party and commie fest down at oaklant (meant that too) it is oaklanD, bob

dragon002 said:
hey bobbert,(I MEANT THAT)

how many beers did you have before that rambling , incoherent post?

was it a free pot party and commie fest down at oaklant (meant that too) it is oaklanD, bob

I DONT DRINK or do drugs either! My spelling may be poor and my grammar just plain bad but those who disagree tend to attack those rather than the content.

bush must either pull the troops out or be neutered by a democratically controlled congress

me and john murtha agree:D

Bob Haller said:
I DONT DRINK or do drugs either! My spelling may be poor and my grammar just plain bad but those who disagree tend to attack those rather than the content.

bush must either pull the troops out or be neutered by a democratically controlled congress

me and john murtha agree:D

MURTHA???? ever hear of DIANNA IREY?? hes got a real fight on his hands this time, on top of HOOF IN MOUTH DISEASE!

MURTHA is biting the dust!!!!

and IF bush pulls em back, it will be to avoid the nukes and or carpet bombings of tehran and damascus. then we move back in to kill the rest.:devil:

dragon002 said:
MURTHA???? ever hear of DIANNA IREY?? hes got a real fight on his hands this time, on top of HOOF IN MOUTH DISEASE!

MURTHA is biting the dust!!!!

and IF bush pulls em back, it will be to avoid the nukes and or carpet bombings of tehran and damascus. then we move back in to kill the rest.:devil:

You DONT get it do you, we used all our international political capital in iraq, the other countries will go nuts if we attack any other countries. thanks to a poorly planned and executed war we dont have the ability to attack others. true other countries dont like tehran getting nuclear but they are sick of our meddling

did you notice the the countries surround iraq didnt supoport our attack, they werent concerned with saddam...

now we have a terrorist training ground, congrats george..

Murtha is a respected war hero, he is right bush wouldnt want a democratically controlled congress for the last 2 years of his term, so he has to find a way out.

a pure full blown civil war would fill the bill.

Today far gewer iraquis have essential services like running potable water and electricity. we didnt rebuild the infrastructure we let it detoriate

bob, do you have access to a map of the middle east?? the countries that surruond iraq:

turkey, our ally
jordan, a semi ally
kuwait, our ally
iran, nut jobs, but i didnt see them rushing to save saddam.
syria, outlaw/terrorist state. we should have taken the hussiens out along with saddam.

Last edited:
'Tis a common observation here that our cause is the cause of all mankind, and

][PIE]I'm from the computer generation...we expect change, expect bona fide advancement, expect true progress on a Moore's law timetable. No excuse for the combustion engine industries. None. I can't stand the fact that my tax dollars go to protecting the business interests of these parasites. I'd much rather my money go toward something positive for our nation's future.

I can't wait until the old school mentality dies off...I just hope it isn't too late by then.[/PIE]OK.I have been reading this tread in order to gain some insight, as to the beliefs of your"computer generation".That would be the generation who has enjoyed the fruits of an "old school mentality".Being an old fart,I can speak of many of the previously mentioned periods of time in our nations past,on a less passionate, but, more truthful plane.You specifically,I sincerely hope to be the case,have shown the true color of a generation.As i choose not to climb down to the level of personnel insults,I will let others pine on the particular color I refer to.As I have underlined above,you use the term we a lot.I is what you mean.Say it. Of a more telling note,expect is the word that goes right to my gut.Your expectations have been bought and paid for.The more I get into this the more upset I am.Better quit.Lastly,I trust you eventually will learn that "old school mentality" is sorely missed in this "Expectant" society you so wrongly perceive. P.S. Another quote of Benjamin Franklin-"'Tis a common observation here that our cause is the cause of all mankind, and that we are fighting for their liberty in defending our own."

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
bob, do you have access to a map of the middle east?? the countries that surruond iraq:

turkey, our ally
jordan, a semi ally
kuwait, our ally
iran, nut jobs, but i didnt see them rushing to save saddam.
syria, outlaw/terrorist state. we should have taken the hussiens out along with saddam.

so how many offered troops to depose saddam????

NEXT

We looked for international support, did get some from england and italy.... perhaps some others in minor numbers...

but the close by countries who you would think would be most concerned with saddam didnt commit troops.

we went in without international support:(

this indicates international saddam was not deemed a big threat, espically to surrounding countries

we dont NEED international support..............wait.......... you are one of the wack jobs that think we need to ask the UN to condone our moves....arent you??

screw the UN, we get hit we retialate, we dont need no stinkin UN permission. hell they are worthless anyway.

there is the building the planes SHOULD have hit.

The danger in going to war without international support, some countries may decide to work intentionally against you.

once bush asked the UN he should of followed their rules.

instead he went off half cocked:( some of those countries immediately surrounding iraq are providing $ and support for terrorism there.

just curious?

If we found Saudi Arabia were supporting terrorists in US and iraq do you think we should invade them too?

dragon002 said:
yes.

that would take about 3 HOURS. at the most.

no, wait let the french do it, it would take them at least 2 years.

You know we dont have the ability to invade everyone who bad. do you picture the US as the worlds policeman?

dragon002 said:
we dont NEED international support..............wait.......... you are one of the wack jobs that think we need to ask the UN to condone our moves....arent you??

screw the UN, we get hit we retialate, we dont need no stinkin UN permission. hell they are worthless anyway.

there is the building the planes SHOULD have hit.

This is such a touchy subject in itself. I agree with dragon, mainly becuase so many of representatives on the UN are corrupt... from terrorists and leaders like Saddam. This is even in the 9/11 report.

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
EARTH TO BOB,

where have you been since , like, 1962???

lets see we didnt overrun n korea, or overun cuba successfully, there are many bad countries and rulers.

if we fight everyone no one will be our ally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)