Please reply by conversation.

jge

Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
mexico
Hello
I would like to get some advice.
I would like to watch the FTA channnels that are available
at the AMC1 bird. I particular I am interested on the NBC channels.
that are at the 12000-H transponder.
Those channels have a 8PSK system encryption.
I have a brand new viewsat VSMAXHD. No additional hardware/software has been installed.
I am in Tampico, Mexico, about 300 miles from the mexico-usa border.
Right at the mexican coast of the gulf of mexico.
It looks like I am very close to be
out of the footprint.
I decided to try any way. After pointing my "fixed dish" at AMC1, I got the following readings:
71 strenght and 42 quality (12000 transponder).
Since I know that this bird has an odd skew,
I rotated the lnb until I got maximum readings.
That happened about 50 degrees to the right when I was
standing behind the dish.
After scanning all the transponders I could not find any channel, even
though I was able to lock the 12000 transponder...
Saludos para todos!
Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestion

The Max HD will decode HD but those tp's are dvb-s2, which some say the Max HD cannot do. I have a Max HD but I have never tried to watch a dvb-s2 since I am within viewing range of all the networks and there maybe one or two dvb-s2 channels that I would be interested in. (The bulk of my use is for feeds and PBS.)

jge,

Can you at least detect the Pentagon channel from this sat? Lyngsat shows it on TP 12.100 V, but I seem to have it stored as 12.096 V and on 12.105 V on my AZBox. A bit confused here, but I think that is my box.

I get the NBC east HD and the NBC central HD channels on 12.000 with this AZBox, but they are apparently feeds as I get color bars on one and just a black screen on the other.

RADAR.

You want a cheap alternative to the AZBox to get those NBC HD channels, get the Coolsat 8000

Don't think that VS will do the S2, seems like we just had a discussion on that last week.
Did you try scanning anything before you changed the skew? (when you had both signal and quality) Seems like you'd pick up something, I dont get much better reading than that on AMC1 here, but I haven't made any adjustment for the offset-skew on that satellite either. Pentagon channel and abunch of nbc newsfeed channels come in stable here.

Thought I would mention that those NBC Feeds have a bad sound setup, the sound is best with 2 receivers.

Second that. I haven't watched much on them but I noticed when watching Jimmy Fallon that the audience was on one channel and the host and guest on another. It's kind of annoying.

I want to thank oldford, WTguy, AcWxRadar, pro96,
turbosat, Lak7, SpiffWilkie for their suggestions.
Yes , the VSMAXHD is able to decode HD. I am pretty much sure about it
since I have a little one at home who is happy.
He usually watches the PBS HD channels at the AMC21.
The AMC1 channels are desirable to have since I am in Mexico and
as everyone might understand I am not in the viewing range of any network.
AcWxRadar the answer is no, I can not detect the Pentagon Channel. I have tried a lot.
During the pointing work, sometimes I have gotten an unstable reading on that particular transponder.
The quality is unstable in the 0-40% range.
I have done the scan thing even knowing that I have a no-stable reading.
I got nothing.
AcWxRadar, I entered the transponders that you mentioned, I got zero quality.
The hard time I have had probably is related to the fact that
I am very close to be out of the footprint.
Yes turbosat, I have scanned before changing the skew of the lnb.
Several times different skew's.
Again, I got nothing.
It seems like I am pointing the dish to the right spot since after doing a
blind scan I have been able to
watch some feed channels of the NYN (I think it is the new york lottery)
No solution so far.
Saludos!!

It seems like I am pointing the dish to the right spot since after doing a blind scan I have been able to watch some feed channels of the NYN (I think it is the new york lottery)
No solution so far.
Saludos!!

Jge,

If you are scanning in channels with names such as NYN 1, NYN 2... etc. There are nine or ten of these channels. You would be on the wrong satellite. The NYN channels are found on AMC 5, 79.0 W. Are you possibly confusing the two sats or possibly that far off with your dish?

RADAR

Most probably you're 2 ° off. NYN has moved to 105.0°W AMC 15 Ku.

Yurek,

I am still getting NYN on 79W. So they haven't moved entirely. Have they simply put up a feed there on 105W? If so, which TP and SR?

This would make more sense in Jge's case as it would be more logical to be off these few degrees instead of way off to 79.0W.

EDIT: I viewed the NYN 1 channel and they have all the information listed there. Moving to AMC 15 as of Jan 1, 2010 (already moved). TP 11.738 MHz Horizontal, SR 20.5 Msb, FEC 3/4

RADAR

Last edited:
jge,
What size antenna are you using? According to lyngsat you would be needing at least 1.2m. for your location for 103w. You might be actually getting 101w next door since that one is pretty strong and you would need like 30" (como las de eskay). Saludos de Mty.

Jge,

If you are pulling in the NYN's and thinking that you've got the sat, you are close, but just 2 degrees off.

Instead of aiming at 103W you are aimed at 105W. Thanks to Yurek for bringing us the info that NYN was moving and thanks to you for mentioning the NYN channels. That helped a lot for all of us to determine where your dish is aimed.

Make a reference mark on your mast if you have a static (fixed dish setup) so that you will have a reference point to work from. You are not too far off from your desired sat.

Heck, if you are already at 105, you might check out the Big 10 B-Ball game! :)

You are right in the ball park regardless, wish you good to get it set the way you want it.

RADAR

jogon64, Yes, I am using an eskay dish.
Is that big enough? Have you ever tried it?
I mean you are in Monterrey, Mexico, kind of
"close" to Tampico, Mexico.

On the other hand, I have been able to read the following info related to the NYN channels:

AMC1
11741 20000 V auto

I did not enter this info. It appeared when I did a blind scan.

Radar and Yurek
yes, there are about nine of those channels. They are always down
excepting two or three of them. The ones that are up, they are not
very often.
According to Lyngast there are not any NYN channel on the
AMC15 bird.
Am I off?:confused:

What is the stronger transponder on AMC1?
It seems I have to go back to the roof.
Saludos!

jogon64, Yes, I am using an eskay dish.
Is that big enough? Have you ever tried it?
I mean you are in Monterrey, Mexico, kind of
"close" to Tampico, Mexico.

On the other hand, I have been able to read the following info related to the NYN channels:

AMC1
11741 20000 V auto

I did not enter this info. It appeared when I did a blind scan.

Radar and Yurek
yes, there are about nine of those channels. They are always down
excepting two or three of them. The ones that are up, they are not
very often.
According to Lyngast there are not any NYN channel on the
AMC15 bird.
Am I off?:confused:

What is the stronger transponder on AMC1?
It seems I have to go back to the roof.
Saludos!

Jge,

Have you seen the area of our forum called "The List"? Go there and research all the sats listed. Usually, "The List" is better updated than what you will find on Lyngsat and probably more accurate. Use all the resources that you can, of course, but "The List" is usually best for us as it is meant for us, designed by and for SatelliteGuys and updated by Satelliteguys.

For this specific satllite, I don't want to recommend any specific TP right now, because my personal information doesn't jive with what I see on the web or other sources and I don't want to give you erroneous information. I need to doublecheck all that I have first.

RADAR

Jge

If you're on AMC 15, please scann TP 11928H SR 3979, and you should get 'Echostar Satellite Service' . This will confim which satellite you are on.

Jge

If you're on AMC 15, please scann TP 11928H SR 3979, and you should get 'Echostar Satellite Service' . This will confim which satellite you are on.

Good choice of a channel to test, Yurek. Just to show you what the channel looks like... See the attachment below. Remember, this is from sat 105W.

RADAR

Attachments

• cap_ch2_20091209_231019.jpg
    cap_ch2_20091209_231019.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 170
Nice RADAR, I hope we will set Jge on it
Jge, if you get to AMC1, try TP 12100V SR 2000. It should yeld 'Pentagon Channel' This is quite strong TP.
Good luck

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)