Watching recorded programs on a deactivated receiver

Aliens

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Virginia
I am going to cancel Dish and switch to DirecTV. If I cancel and have my VIP722 deactivated on a Monday, will I still be able to watch recorded programs a few days later? I’ve gotten a mixed bag of answers when searching the Internet, so it isn’t 100% clear to me.

Thanks.

You are getting mixed answers because there is no hard fast rule that it will work for XXXdays after deactivation. Just deactivate and see how long yours is visible.

If you have recordings on an ehd and you cancel, they are gone forever. ehd's are keyed to the account. If you ever come back to Dish, you will have a new account and won't be able to view the ehd.

I took my 722k camping. I could not find the signal throught the trees at my campsite. So, I decided to just watch the previously recorded movies that I had on my 722k. The dvr would not let me watch the movies or anything else. It was dead. It had a pop up "looking for signal".

Just deactivate and see how long yours is visible.

I’m finishing a series next Monday night, The Top of the Lake on Sundance, that isn’t in the package I’m getting with D*. I hope to finish the series on Tuesday but I’m not sure that will happen. I plan on deactivating the 722 on Wednesday (when my billing cycle ends) after my D* install. If I can’t watch the series on a deactivated receiver, then I will have to wait until it comes out on DVD, and with the final episodes airing on Monday, that could be a long wait. I suppose I could wait until after I finish the series to deactivate, but I’m anal when it comes to billing. Dish has screwed up my billing the past 3 cycles, so that’s also why I want to end it when the billing cycle ends. Of course that doesn’t mean they still wont butcher it. :)

I took my 722k camping. I could not find the signal throught the trees at my campsite. So, I decided to just watch the previously recorded movies that I had on my 722k. The dvr would not let me watch the movies or anything else. It was dead. It had a pop up "looking for signal".
The pop up is automatic, of course. But did you hit the DVR button? I had my 722k disconnected for over a week when remodeling, and had no trouble watching recordings.

unhook it from the satellite and phone/ethernet before you cancel.

That sounds like a great idea. If they send a “hit” to the receiver it won’t register. I hope to finish my recordings Tuesday, but if I can’t I’m trying to cover the bases.

Thanks.

That sounds like a great idea. If they send a “hit” to the receiver it won’t register. I hope to finish my recordings Tuesday, but if I can’t I’m trying to cover the bases.

Thanks.
Will not work when I left dish in Dec I unhooked the sat ,phone , and broadband then called and canceled when I tried to start it up all programs where locked.

I suppose I could wait until after I finish the series to deactivate, but I’m anal when it comes to billing. Dish has screwed up my billing the past 3 cycles, so that’s also why I want to end it when the billing cycle ends. Of course that doesn’t mean they still wont butcher it. :)
Even if you cancel at the end of your billing cycle, you are already pre-billed for the next month in advance, so even if you cancel now, your bill will still appear to be "screwed up" because the previous month's bill already includes days paid for in the future and you will sill be owed a credit. There is no "clean break" as far as billing goes when cancelling. Almost all providers do this (bill in advance).

ATT bill in advance when you start, but bill you up to the cancel date, when you cancel. I never did pay them, but still could not get across to them that they owed me money.

Will not work when I left dish in Dec I unhooked the sat ,phone , and broadband then called and canceled when I tried to start it up all programs where locked.

I understand the lock since the satellite could not be seen, but could you not unlock the programs with your code?

I understand the lock since the satellite could not be seen, but could you not unlock the programs with your code?

I believe he was referring to shows being locked without an existing code.

I upgraded to the Hopper and was able to watch programing off my two 622's that were disconnected from the dish without problem. When it said searching for signal I just hit the DVR button.

I hate to sound ignorant but what do you mean? I guess I don't understand "an existing code". Whenever I've experienced this situation, I put in my lock code and could view the channels.

He did not create any lock code, meaning he did not want/attempt to lock out anything from the get go. So, no code number existed to unlock the the recordings.

I don’t know how it was lock although some posters have said if you do not take the power off the receiver it will not happen for some time.so maybe unhook phone, sat and broadband but do not power it down
The theory is it needs to see the satellite when it boots I would say try at your own risk but do not be surprised if you cannot access the shows.
For me it was no big deal everything I need to see was on directv on demand and I was so happy with the genie that I did not care about the shows that I lost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)