Waterproof F Connection?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TreDEE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
What is the best way to wrap your coax connections to protect them from the elements? UV Rays, water etc etc? I was thinking of using some gaskets to cover the gap between the f connection and the switch and then wrapping it with rubber tape then going over it with some 3M Super 88 electrical tape. I found the gaskets at http://www.hometech.com/techwire/coaxconn.html#PL-18101 . What do you guys think? Maybe some of you professional installers can chime in and let me know if you have a better method? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I use snap and seal connectors with dielectric grease, ever since I have started using this grease I have NEVER had a bad connection! I am of the firm belief that rubber boots/ o-rings .... cause more trouble than they are worth, and often trap moisture!

After the above application of dielectric grease the connections could almost go under water without getting damaged!

This is what the Army use for cars that have to be submerged in water to keep them running!

I've been using Digicon F connectors and love them. I have tried the Snap N Seal product but feel more comfortable with the Digicon ends. Can you show me the dielectric grease you're talking about? Ive read about Coax Seal and understand its not UV rated and will get thrashed in the elements so I'd rather stay away from that product.

TreDEE said:
I've been using Digicon F connectors and love them. I have tried the Snap N Seal product but feel more comfortable with the Digicon ends. Can you show me the dielectric grease you're talking about? Ive read about Coax Seal and understand its not UV rated and will get thrashed in the elements so I'd rather stay away from that product.

Most autoparts stores have it... it's usually close to the spark plugs.

With 25 years of antenna install experience I've tried just about every weatherproofing technique. By and far the best that I've found is to be sure to tighten the F connector (finger tight and then one sixth or one eighth of a turn more using a 7/16 wrench) and then using coax seal with Scotch 33 black tape over the coax seal. Start in the middle of the coax sealed connection and then tape to one end and back over the middle to the other end and then back to the middle. Scotch 33 is made for wide temperature variation outdoor use. Also the last couple of inches of the black tape should not be stretched as you apply it. Stretched tape is more likely to come undone as it tends to unstretch in temperature swings. This method was recommended to me by some professional tower microwave dish antenna installers.

The F connector grease and antenna boot is my 2nd choice. Lightly coat the threads of the f connector but don't put grease on or around the center conductor. Be sure to wrench tighten the connector- this the most important first defense against bad connections, signal ingress, and moisture ingress.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)