Wave Frontier dish to pick up both DirecTV & Star Choice? (yes, I am a noob)

ScottDecker

Original poster
Hi... :)

I am probably moving to Atlanta in the not too distant future and the place I would be going to only allows one dish on the patio... I have DirecTV now and was planning on getting Star Choice, and was wondering if I could use my Wave Frontier dish to pick up both services (I assume I would need to use the LMBs from both the DirecTV and Star Choice dishes instead of the single ones included with the WV dish)...

Is it possible to do that with that dish or would I need to buy a different kind of dish that can do that?

I was also going to broker service for Star Choice through Freeway Support... are they good to deal with, any suggestions on checking out anybody else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... :)

Simple answer, it will not work as you expect. Furthermore, you would need a T-90 in Atlanta for what you want.

1) First, there are no Ka lnbs for the Toroidal that will pick up the new 99 and 103 birds for Directv. You might think that isn't an issue if you don't have HDTV but....

2) Because of the space that is needed on the bar that holds the lnbs (not to mention the actual "feed" itself, there is a minimum of 3 degrees needed between lnbs on a Toroidal (think of 1.5 degrees from the center of a lnb to the outter edge). Thus a Directv Sat C lnb at 110W would leave no room for a SC 111W lnb (and quite frankly, the lnb on the other side for SC is also tight to the 110W lnb), thus that does not work either.

Your only option would be :

1) Forget HDTV (Directv Ka 99W and 102.3W)

2) Forget Directv 110W Sat C (110W Transponder 28/30/32) and anything (mostly HD) that is on SAT C.

Quite frankly, a Toroidal works better with BEV (82/91) and Directv (101/110/119). However you still won't get the new Ka 99 and Ka 102.3 with it.

And, unless you know how to install a Toroidal and have a lot of time to tweak it, it can be very frustrating.

Take it from someone who has 2.

I didnt think the Toroidal was bad at all. I had mine tuned in less than 5 minutes after I put it on the the pole. To me putting it together was the hardest part. After that everything else was a breeze.

Yes, the first time putting it together is a cluster f.....

After the first one, the second one 9 months later went together in less than an hour, but that first one.....

If you had yours tuned within 5 minutes, go play the lottery. You are the luckiest individual I've met - Although I do wonder how well tweaked they are.

Okay maybe 5 and a half minutes. I was surpised how easy and quickly I had it tuned to the arc. I was receiving the nimiq birds(82-91) and the Echo birds(110-119) with a signal in the 90's on my particular receiver.

birdview said:
Okay maybe 5 and a half minutes. I was surpised how easy and quickly I had it tuned to the arc. I was receiving the nimiq birds(82-91) and the Echo birds(110-119) with a signal in the 90's on my particular receiver.

which receiver?

birdview said:

No offense, but I call total BS....because it is just that.

One cannot tweak the elevation, skew and arc while changing the feeds on meters in anything close to that amount of time - much less fine tuning the lnb placement on the beam as well as tightening down the their offset.

In essence you are stating that you got everything in place EXACTLY CORRECT with no adjustment necessary just throwing it up.

Again, if this is true, go play the Lottery.

Quali-TV. I just wanted to get up and running so I used that receiver for those particular satellites. I now use the toroidal for G-10 and others. I use a satcruiser for my purposes now. The QualiTV is too important for HD feeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)