Way more VOD commercials on FireStick?

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
My wife and I have been catching up on some SyFy shows using On-Demand, and we've noticed that when we watch them on our Hopper3, we really only get house ads (for SyFy). When we watch on our FireStick in our exercise room, we get more commercial breaks, and a variety of ads, although almost always a Volkswagen ad. Anyone else notice this?

That sounds like the difference between the Hopper's On-Demand and the SyFy App on Over-the-Top services like FireTV, Roku, and Apple TV. I was watching "The Expanse" on my Apple TV and the same 4-6 commercials would play in each break. I'll have to try the On-Demand through the Hopper next time.

Watching MSNBC on my Fire TV Stick, I "enjoy" a commercial between each segment. On my slow-as-molasses Roku SE, I can watch 5 or 10 segments before it injects an ad.

That sounds like the difference between the Hopper's On-Demand and the SyFy App on Over-the-Top services like FireTV, Roku, and Apple TV. I was watching "The Expanse" on my Apple TV and the same 4-6 commercials would play in each break. I'll have to try the On-Demand through the Hopper next time.

So, I get no benefit from watching On-demand on Dish Anywhere?

My wife and I have been catching up on some SyFy shows using On-Demand, and we've noticed that when we watch them on our Hopper3, we really only get house ads (for SyFy). When we watch on our FireStick in our exercise room, we get more commercial breaks, and a variety of ads, although almost always a Volkswagen ad. Anyone else notice this?
I have been watching Krypton using On-Demand on my Hopper Duo. It seems to have the same commercials that were included in the show when it originally aired on SyFy. That could just be because it is a new show, and I am watching within a few days after the episode first aired, though.

Not trying to be a smarty pants. But have you noticed the same thing on YouTube's app for the Samsung TV? They are very frequent too.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Not trying to be a smarty pants. But have you noticed the same thing on YouTube's app for the Samsung TV? They are very frequent too.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

I don't have any Samsung SmartTVs. The SmartTVs I do have aren't even connected to the Internet. So, the FireStick experience is about what I would expect (and hate) from OnDemand. We were actually pleasantly surprised at how few we got with OnDemand on the Hopper. It was just annoying to find we didn't experience the same dearth of ads on the FireStick.

This is exactly my problem with OTT services like YouTube TV replacing DVR "recordings" with OnDemand as soon as it is available. I realize ads are how a lot of these channels make money. I am also happy to pay more for the content to avoid the ads. I am actually more in favor of the CBS All Access model than I used to be. I had been thinking of going with one of the OTT services once our Dish contract was up. Now I am not so sure.

I don't have any Samsung SmartTVs. The SmartTVs I do have aren't even connected to the Internet. So, the FireStick experience is about what I would expect (and hate) from OnDemand. We were actually pleasantly surprised at how few we got with OnDemand on the Hopper. It was just annoying to find we didn't experience the same dearth of ads on the FireStick.

This is exactly my problem with OTT services like YouTube TV replacing DVR "recordings" with OnDemand as soon as it is available. I realize ads are how a lot of these channels make money. I am also happy to pay more for the content to avoid the ads. I am actually more in favor of the CBS All Access model than I used to be. I had been thinking of going with one of the OTT services once our Dish contract was up. Now I am not so sure.

All Access has commercials too, unless you get the top tier which is commercial free

All Access has commercials too, unless you get the top tier which is commercial free

Right, at least they offer you the choice. When we watched the new Star Trek, we did so commercial-free. Unfortunately it was surround-sound-free as well.

Reactions: osu1991
Right, at least they offer you the choice. When we watched the new Star Trek, we did so commercial-free. Unfortunately it was surround-sound-free as well.

This is the first Star Trek series ever that I haven't seen first run. I refuse to pay the extortion that greedy CBS is demanding. Hopefully the show will make it to syndication at some point.

This is the first Star Trek series ever that I haven't seen first run. I refuse to pay the extortion that greedy CBS is demanding. Hopefully the show will make it to syndication at some point.
Surely Netflix, since they are financially involved.

Reactions: JSheridan
Surely Netflix, since they are financially involved.

Maybe eventually. Les wants CBS to be the next HBO, so I'm not sure how much he's going to be willing to share the "best" content, even for a price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts