WB Affiliates on Ku-Band Satellite (1998)

Well The WB never scrambled any of its feeds throughout that time (1998).

You do understand I am talking about you effecting NOW, 2020? correct??

No one but you cares about what happened in 1998, OK!

And what difference does it make if they were scrambled then or not you didn’t know about it.

Though only a handful of WB Affiliates (outside of the Tribune stations) had news outlets in '98, affiliates like KWBP Portland, OR and KUWB Salt Lake City would often provide weather forecasts and updates.

Although only a handful of WB affiliates had news outlets at the time (except for the Tribune stations) with others having newscasts produced by their local affiliates (ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS), The WB still should've had an affiliate news service to compete with ABC NewsOne, NBC NewsChannel/Skycom services, FOX NewsEdge, CBS Newspath and CNN Newsource (which Tribune provided video feeds to).

Last edited:
Select WB Affiliates without news outlets (or newscasts produced by local affiliates) would run All News Channel (SBS6) I believe (or rely on news coverage from CNN), in addition to syndicated programming and movies.

Any mention of news feeds is with respect to content from the mother ship. They make mention of "backhauls of all kinds" but they don't say whether it is from the affiliates or from network-sponsored production trucks.
There's little to nothing there to support your claim. There are more reasons why you shouldn't use Ku than evidence that the affiliates did might have.
At least this might further explain that Ku was a source for several newsfeeds and satellite news gathering (SNG) feeds.

Speaking of WB Affiliates with newscasts KNVA-TV (which had a 5:30PM newscast produced by KXAN-TV until June 1997), would often run news updates under the "54 News Now" banner. They would have a looping of local weather throughout the midnight hour (2AM to 6AM).

As for the newsfeeds that came in from Florida (S3R Ku, tp 24), I also forgot to mention WFGX Mobile-Pensacola which had a newscast produced by WEAR-TV (Emerald Coast News) and was discontinued in December that year.

Well my Orbit Magazine edition from June 1998 had just arrived, on the Ku-band side of the chart I don't see any WB or Tribune feeds listed on there other than the superstations on Anik E2 (A2-431: WGN Chicago (whose superstation feed discontinued WB programming by Oct. 1999), A2-432: WPIX New York and A2-433: WB flagship KTLA Los Angeles) and the Florida newsfeeds on S8-24 (WKCF Orlando, WDZL/WBZL Miami-Ft. Lauderdale and WFGX Mobile/Pensacola). All it just lists are CONUS and occasional feeds, plus CNN is on there as well (SBS6, GStar4). But there are some sats that are missing from the chart (GE2 (Primestar programming), Satcom K2 (though its an NBC sat), Galaxy 3R (the Ku side used was as a backup sat after Galaxy 4 crashed in May 1998)), they list SBS4 (although still in circulation at the time), SBS2, GStar 2, 3 and Anik C3 as sats at inclined orbit.

Attachments

• 20210204_200443.jpg
    20210204_200443.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 226
As for the Ku side of Galaxy 4, and Telstar 5. My Orbit magazine lists CBS affiliate feeds on there as well as Channel One News/Herbalife, Microsoft TV, Grand Valley State/MI learning net feeds, Jade TV, Asia-American TV (mainly the Chinese Television Network) and the Filipino channel as well as occasional video feeds on Galaxy 4 Ku (most of these feeds move to Galaxy 3R Ku following the G4 communications failure in May 1998), for Telstar 5 Ku it mainly lists occasional video feeds (although FOX, ESPN and CBS Newspath was on there). If for any WB feeds on Ku, I'll probably try Satellite TV Week or OnSat Magazine (I'll just have to pay attention to the EBay listings if there's any from June 1998).

As for the satellite systems that both shared the Ku side of Anik E2 (A2) at the time, StarChoice carried the superstation feed of WGN-TV (which acted as a "de facto" national feed of The WB Television Network until October 1999), whiles ExpressVu (which used Dish Network software) carried the local Chicago feed (WGN-TV). Though several programs on the superstation feed were subject to blackout due to SyndEx rules (WGN Morning News (since September 1996) and the Saturday edition (which discontinued effectively on Dec. 11th that year)).

Plus, there were a lot of PBS feeds on Ku back then (W8-20: PBS (Occassional), W8-22: PBS (Occassional) W8-600-605: PBS (4DTV was for the Digital feeds), T7-13: Florida PBS, T7-600-614, T7-620-634: South Carolina Ed. Television, T7-640: Georgia Public TV, T7-641: Peachstar etc...)

As I wait patiently for the Satellite TV Week June 1998 edition from Ebay (I check daily to pay to attention to all the listings, and don't see any WB feeds on the Kuband side of the Orbit Magazine chart. CBS (KCNC-TV Denver (one of the Denver stations on Satcom F1, transponder 6), KYW-TV Philadelphia, WJZ-TV Baltimore, WCCO-TV Minneapolis-St. Paul (also one of the stations on the Cancom services on Anik E2), KUTV-TV Salt Lake City, WFRV-TV Green Bay, KFMB-TV San Diego, WBNS-TV Columbus, OH, WPRI-TV Hartford/New Haven, KION-TV Salinas/Monterey, WMAZ-TV Macon etc...) and The WB (WBDC Washington D.C., KDAF Dallas-Ft. Worth, WGN Chicago feed, WATL Atlanta, KASW Phoenix, KOFY San Francisco, WCWB Pittsburgh (now WPNT), WNYO Buffalo) on C-Band also carried their affiliate feeds (though occasional) on Galaxy 4, transponder 21.

UPDATE: From what I looked at, I learned that WKCF's newscast was WESH-produced at the time. So the only WB affiliates with news outlets (outside the Tribune stations) were KPLR St. Louis, KKYK Little Rock (whose news operation discontinued in September 1999) and WYLN-LP Hazelton/Scranton (which became an America One affiliate after WSWB-TV (formerly WOLF-TV whose call letters and affiliation moved to Ch. 56) took the WB affiliation for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market on Nov. 1st that year) which had a live newscast at 5:30 PM (with rebroadcasts at 6:30 10, 11:30 PM and 6 AM).

Last edited:
What I meant in this topic was FTA (Free-to-air) Ku-band if there were any WB Feeds or affiliates on there back then?, although a small number of sats were on Ku although there were 32 transponders on there in contrast to C-band which had 24 (SBS4, SBS5, SBS6, GE-1 Ku, GE-2 Ku (reserved for Primestar at the time), GE-3 Ku, Galaxy 3R Ku, etc...) and the majority of Ku-band was being used for newsfeeds, sports and international channels. There were almost no wildfeeds of entertainment shows and programs on Ku-band (with the notable exception being NBC and the Canadian Anik E2 sat (ExpressVu and StarChoice)).

I don't mean to pour water on the interest of the original poster but given that you are effectively the only one posting to your own thread, perhaps its time to let this thread die and find someone or somewhere else that shares your personal interests? All you are doing is posting nonsense to keep this thread alive. Can this thread be closed?

I don't mean to pour water on the interest of the original poster but given that you are effectively the only one posting to your own thread, perhaps its time to let this thread die and find someone or somewhere else that shares your personal interests? All you are doing is posting nonsense to keep this thread alive. Can this thread be closed?
Not till I find some answers, Ken Werner the VP of Distribution at The WB Network at the time (now retired) might probably have it (or I could wait for a Satellite TV Week Magazine edition from June 1998 to appear on eBay).

Last edited: