WBRZ Baton Rouge local on the way out......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

southofi-10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 17, 2010
South Louisiana
Seems the weather channel isn't the only one that is trying to get more money from subscribers.
I just say (ota) that wbrz channel 2 will be pulled by Jan 5. Channel 2 is telling it's viewers to call direct tv.I'm assuming directv will tell those caller to call wbrz and ask for lower demands.
I also notice that the weather channel is indeed taking it hard that they have been dropped.They are also running "ads" telling folks they should call and whine to dtv. (that's just lame)
Ok-here goes my opinion..If Baton Rouge local folks put up an antenna,they'll probably be surprised to find 3 channels on channel 2.They have a news sub and a weather sub that I'm sure dtv doesn't carry.I don't get any sub channels on my locals with dish..which are in Lafayette Louisiana.That's why I watch ota.
So- here's the deal..why pay for locals when you can get them for free.More of them!! Dishnetwork doesn't charge me for locals.(Hey,they want my business.)Dtv charges for locals and sometimes doesn't put the right local market in.
It used to be,and probably still is..that Lafayette were getting thier NBC not from Baton Rouge,Lake Charles, or Alexandia...but from Jackson Mississippi.Go figure that one out.
With my antenna set up,I get all those NBC stations and the sub channels. (no,not Jackson LOL)
Woo hoo.
I again applaud dtv for taking a stance against these greed mongers.
Whats next??

Seems the weather channel isn't the only one that is trying to get more money from subscribers.
I just say (ota) that wbrz channel 2 will be pulled by Jan 5. Channel 2 is telling it's viewers to call direct tv.I'm assuming directv will tell those caller to call wbrz and ask for lower demands.
I also notice that the weather channel is indeed taking it hard that they have been dropped.They are also running "ads" telling folks they should call and whine to dtv. (that's just lame)
Ok-here goes my opinion..If Baton Rouge local folks put up an antenna,they'll probably be surprised to find 3 channels on channel 2.They have a news sub and a weather sub that I'm sure dtv doesn't carry.I don't get any sub channels on my locals with dish..which are in Lafayette Louisiana.That's why I watch ota.
So- here's the deal..why pay for locals when you can get them for free.More of them!! Dishnetwork doesn't charge me for locals.(Hey,they want my business.)Dtv charges for locals and sometimes doesn't put the right local market in.
It used to be,and probably still is..that Lafayette were getting thier NBC not from Baton Rouge,Lake Charles, or Alexandia...but from Jackson Mississippi.Go figure that one out.
With my antenna set up,I get all those NBC stations and the sub channels. (no,not Jackson LOL)
Woo hoo.
I again applaud dtv for taking a stance against these greed mongers.
Whats next??

The Locals on D* are part of your package ... you don't pay extra for them.

Let's also note that BRZ is not the only station affected here. KRGV down on the Rio Grande, serves McAllen/Harlingen/Brownsville Texas with ABC. Both stations are involved in this latest shootout, IIRC. On its website, KRGV says that the current deadline is Monday, February 3, at 5:00 p.m.

At least two, perhaps three, deadlines have come and gone already. That, to me, indicates that talking is going on and hopefully there will be a settlement.

And southofi-10, if you aren't getting your subchannels through Dish, perhaps you might want to come over and watch them on DirecTV, off air with full recording capability and a full guide, via the AM21 sidecar. We have absolutely beautiful integration of locals into the DirecTV guide and it doesn't matter if there's a dispute or not, we always have them. ;)

( BTW...love your avatar! I grew up on Deputy Dawg! :popcorn )

Last edited:
The AM21 sidecar sounds cool.
Is this seperate from the dtv box? Is it dtv equipment?
I'm guessing they somehow work together with 2 inputs? sat /ota
And,if this is the case,why is there a problem with people losing local when all they need is a sidecar and antenna?
U got me wondering now....lol

The AM21 sidecar sounds cool.
Is this seperate from the dtv box? Is it dtv equipment?
I'm guessing they somehow work together with 2 inputs? sat /ota
And,if this is the case,why is there a problem with people losing local when all they need is a sidecar and antenna?
U got me wondering now....lol
D*s AM 21 is thier OTA tuner, they previously removed the OTA cards from thier boxes years back.

Anyways, the AM21 has an OTA input and is fed into the D* receiver, 5hus allowing it to work in the Channel guide and the ability to Record it as well.
To answer the other part of your question, not everyone is close enough to the station towers to get OTA signal to use it.

Last edited:
Indeed, I went the AM21 route when it looked like Direct was going to be playing chicken with one of my favorite locals. It's a one inch high box that matches the width and depth of my HR24. It's probably the best insurance you can have against local fights such as the one involving KRGV/WBRZ. On top of that, getting ALL of my local subchannels is an absolute requirement around here. I seem to remember that Dish has a similar integrated tuner, but that it does not give you guide info for subchannels.

Anyway, here's hoping the Manship family can come to terms with DirecTV for these two stations. I have no knowledge whatsoever of who is asking for what...but it does seem that DirecTV has more backbone in these negotiations than it used to.

Yes- the am21 sounds interesting.Might have to check that out.
Of course I get plenty to record,but I like to see what i can do to improve my free tv as well as my dishnet sub.
I'm not upgrading my sub,but I'm always open to gettng bigger antennas,pre amps, etc.......I find it a challenge to see how many channles I can get "legally" for free. That's why I use FTA and OTA

And a week later, deadline after deadline comes and goes and is extended time and time again. I really don't think the viewers of KRGV or WBRZ have anything to worry about.

STill get the AM21. It's nice to have the backup during storms and to have the subchannels. (And all of the locals in HD that should be!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts