WCET 48 "Digital Service"

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I am having an OTA guide data issue and I am not sure how to solve it. On Thursday we had some great "skip" conditions in this area and I did a few OTA scans with my 622 receiver.

After everything went back to normal, I reset my guide back to the way it was before I did the scans. I have done this many times before without incident. However, it looks like channel 48 WCET added another sub-channel since the last time I did a scan. CET World (PBS World) is now on 48-3. CET HD and CrEaTe are on 48.1 and 48.2 as they have been for quite some time.

Great! A new channel! But when I went to the guide I noticed that all three channels now displayed the dreaded "Digital Service" instead of the program info CET-HD and CrEaTe had been showing before.

Here is what I have done to try to reset the guide info without success:
-Forced guide download numerous times.
-Rebooted the receiver using the power button on the front of the receiver itself then forced guide dowload
-Removed the offending channels from the local list (Menu 6-9-delete), saved changes (channels no longer appeared in guide at all) . Forced quide data download. Waited overnight for system to reset at the normal 5:30am reboot time. Rescanned OTA Digital channel 34 (48) to rediscover the three channels. Forced guide data download.
-Removed the channels from local list. Removed the smart card. UNPLUGGED the receiver for a reboot. AFTER reboot, reinserted the smart card causing another reboot and complete new guide info. Rescanned channel 34 (48) and repeated the process. Waited overnight.

I still have these three channels saying "digital service" instead of showing the available program info. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try next? I record quite a few programs from CET so this is not "minor" to me.

Thanks in advance!
Tony

There are some channels Dish doesn't provide EPG data. Locally channels 25 (.1-.4) and 43 (.1-.5) have never had guide info so "digital service" is expected. But channel 48 is the main PBS station in this area and had guide data before I did the new scan, and didn't afterwards which tells me the problem is with my receiver. That is unless others in the Cincy areay have the same issue.

Thanks!

You'll need to get the engineering department at WCET call Dish and waste their time, errr, sorry, explain the proper lineup. Same thing is going on with WPTD. They (Dish) had the channels screwed up right after the analog shut-off. WPTD re-arranged their channels, Tribune got the "memo", but Dish was still looking for the wrong TSID numbers. It took weeks of the CE at WTPD calling Dish to get things fixed .... and when Dish finally did something, they messed up another of the sub-channels.

This may sound too simple, but after you scanned for channels did you click on 'Select All'. A while ago I had a problem with one FOX channel, I had scanned, added it to the EPG but nothing but 'Digital Service' showed. I complained to Dish, nothing changed. About six months later I discovered the problem. I found out that the channel numbers will get added to the guide after scanning for locals. And if you exit the process there after scanning only the numbers will appear in the EPG, with out the guide data. You have to take that extra step of clicking on 'Select All' to get the EPG data.

However, it looks like channel 48 WCET added another sub-channel since the last time I did a scan. CET World (PBS World) is now on 48-3. CET HD and CrEaTe are on 48.1 and 48.2 as they have been for quite some time.
Do you know if Dish had the right guide data for those various sub-channels all along ? If WCET shuffled their HD channel from the -5 slot to the -1 and then bumped everything else "down", odds are guide data was showing on Dish's receivers but was in fact wrong. My daughter kept trying to record something off of 16-2 but would end up with a cooking show or quilting or something else !!

It won't hurt to do it...

Try this with a station that has multiple sub-channels: Instead of selecting "Scan locals", do the manual addition method. It might be "Add channel", as I recall. Simply enter the 'base' channel number, i.e. "16", select "Done", and then "Done" again (I think). It will pop-up that it's updating memory or something.... Go to the guide and ALL of the sub-channels should be listed but they will say "Digital Service" for a few minutes, in my experience.

Wasn't one 'advantage' of digital supposed to be that skip would be almost non-existent? I know it's impossible to totally eliminate it but I guess I have never even tried to scan for 'skip.' With all of the sydication and repeats and the loss of station individuality it's probably not as much fun today as it was thirty years ago anyway.

A lot we didn't know

Wasn't one 'advantage' of digital supposed to be that skip would be almost non-existent? I know it's impossible to totally eliminate it but I guess I have never even tried to scan for 'skip.' With all of the sydication and repeats and the loss of station individuality it's probably not as much fun today as it was thirty years ago anyway.

There's been a lot of things that were supposed to be but didn't work out that way. Radio waves are still radio waves. They will bounce off the atmosphere and come back to earth whether digital or analog. Turns out there is also interaction w/ FM problems in the upper VHF channels that have cause problems that weren't expected either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)