WCWN(45-1) down?

ETS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Port Ewen, NY
WCWN(45-1) & WCWN(45-3) out of Kingston, NY. appears down when I try to tune into it. I am in Port Ewen, NY just 6 miles from where the translator is. Since April I've been able to get those two channels with my AM21 with DirecTV or with the RCA Indoor antenna(ANT111) just connected to my HDTV. But twice in June during the afternoon(during 12pm-6pm) I got no signal even tho it was clear skys outside. Now the first week in July I noticed when watching the Office at 10:30pm it lost signal for 5 minutes on Wenesday July 4th and for 10 minutes on Thursday July 5th. Since Friday July 6th their has been no signal at all anytime. I even tried moving my indoor antenna(RCA indoor antenna ANT111 around to see if it was a problem on my end)

Is their anyone else in the Hudson Valley who is able to get WCWN with the Kingston, NY translator(not the signal out of Albany, NY). Or could my RCA indoor antenna have failed?

My signal for the channel with my HDTV has always been high and with my AM21 only 45-1 came in not 45-3(said searching for signal) but both always showed a strong signal meter of 85.

Last edited:
WCWN(45-1) & WCWN(45-3) out of Kingston, NY. appears down when I try to tune into it. I am in Port Ewen, NY just 6 miles from where the translator is. Since April I've been able to get those two channels with my AM21 with DirecTV or with the RCA Indoor antenna(ANT111) just connected to my HDTV. But twice in June during the afternoon(during 12pm-6pm) I got no signal even tho it was clear skys outside. Now the first week in July I noticed when watching the Office at 10:30pm it lost signal for 5 minutes on Wenesday July 4th and for 10 minutes on Thursday July 5th. Since Friday July 6th their has been no signal at all anytime. I even tried moving my indoor antenna(RCA indoor antenna ANT111 around to see if it was a problem on my end)

Is their anyone else in the Hudson Valley who is able to get WCWN with the Kingston, NY translator(not the signal out of Albany, NY). Or could my RCA indoor antenna have failed?

My signal for the channel with my HDTV has always been high and with my AM21 only 45-1 came in not 45-3(said searching for signal) but both always showed a strong signal meter of 85.

Have you tried calling WCWN most station will try to be helpful in getting their broadcast received.

I called the phone number but the lady struggle to help me. She kept repeating that I need to rescan my TV or converter box to be able to get the channel. I said I had already rescaned my HDTV & AM21. She did not know what I was talking about the translator in Kingston, NY. She said she does not know where the signal comes from. S0he kept saying I already get the channel on cable. I told her here in Port Ewen we get WRGB on Time Warner Cable but not WCWN she told me I must have skipped over it.

I wrote a email to them hopefully they get back to me that way.

I even went out and bought a new indoor antenna and it also does not pick up the signal.

you might want to ask for the engineer...they would know ;)

Thanks I called again and asked for a engineer. He looked and noticed it was off the air and not transmitting at all. He said it has to be a issue because it's not even hot out he said he was going to try to see if he could fix it where he is. But he said if not he is going to have to have someone come down to Kingston, NY to fix it. He said they have low staffing so he does not think anyone is going to be able to come down and fix it soon. I asked if sometime this week and he said he did not know. Albany is 1 hour/100 miles away from Kingston

WcWn transmitter at Jiminy Peak went down in November - Chief Fred retired and the station was sold to Sinclear. Dispute repeated reminders, it remains down.

I'm north of Kingston and can usually pick up the channel 24 translator off of the back side of my antenna. I don't see anything as of tonight. I can't believe how far WRGB has fallen that they would let a station stay down for a week without investigating.

The transmitter is in a tiny shack back in the woods off of Route 209. If they need someone to reboot it I can go down and do it. Just don't ask me to climb the tower :)

Bob2011 said:
I'm north of Kingston and can usually pick up the channel 24 translator off of the back side of my antenna. I don't see anything as of tonight. I can't believe how far WRGB has fallen that they would let a station stay down for a week without investigating.

The transmitter is in a tiny shack back in the woods off of Route 209. If they need someone to reboot it I can go down and do it. Just don't ask me to climb the tower :)

Check the avsforum for Albany NY HD and you will see some discussion that has been going on about their JP site.

I got a repley on the AVS Forum from a WRGB Engineer he said
Main breaker tripped. One of two power supplies NG. All of the fuses for each of the output devices on both power amplifier modules blown.

Does anyone know what this means and if that means it will be expensive to fix for them? I hope they repair it if its repairable?

They fixed the JP transmitter a couple of weeks ago - just after you reported the Kingston transmitter down. JP went down in November. Maybe they took the parts from the kinston transmitter to fix the JP transmitter. smiley face goes here. Since this is a politics free forum, I will only say that it is likely that Sinclear will want to fix the transmitter before the election. I think the transition to Sinclear has not been an easy one for channel 6 - maybe Jack Anaerke will be back - he would fit right in. I would think fixing fuses and power supply would be easy. More difficult would be to determine what caused them to blow so it does not keep happening.

Well rf 19 at Jiminy Peak is now crapping out. Hardly a signal when I point directly at it. It was coming in at 98% strength and 100% quality. Wonder where they got the parts to fix the Kingston transmitter? ;> Maybe they only have enough parts to keep one transmitter going and are recycling them among the transmitters.

Well it was working until the summer again. Then working on & off. The last week in August & first week in September it worked. On the night of the 12th and there was a big thunderstorm, I checked the following week and it's not working again. In My room with my rabbit ears antenna I have 40%(same as before) but no picture except it comes in every once and awhile just blurry. I got another indoor antenna and put it in another room, and it gets 85% signal but no picture for WRGB 45-1 & 45-3. But I am now able to pick up WYBY and their 5 church channels out of Newburgh 40+ miles away at 60% signal with clear picture and sound. I really think WRGB is just having a issue again.

I don't understand the point of having translator stations if you don't care much about them and leave them off the air for days or weeks at a time. I'm sure there is some old person in Kingston who was mad as heck not being able to get the Yankees game on their little old tv with a converter box. I wonder if management even knows or cares about the situation. The few dozen people who watch the translator station are small potatoes compared to the thousands that watch the regular channel.

I don't understand the point of having translator stations if you don't care much about them and leave them off the air for days or weeks at a time. I'm sure there is some old person in Kingston who was mad as heck not being able to get the Yankees game on their little old tv with a converter box. I wonder if management even knows or cares about the situation. The few dozen people who watch the translator station are small potatoes compared to the thousands that watch the regular channel.

Me I watch WCWN on the antenna for Ring Of Honor Wrestling, as it does not air on the NYC channels I get on DirecTV, I can see the show online but that's 5 days after it airs. Sometimes I watch the morning news on WRGB, but only really care about the wrestling show that's why I have the antenna.

Had storms come thru the area Monday afternoon and Monday night WRGB 24 in Kingston was working again. I had 85% signal when it was down and now with it working. Weird that it went down after a storm last month and now working again after a storm. Any idea what could be causing that to happen?

Had storms come thru the area Monday afternoon and Monday night WRGB 24 in Kingston was working again. I had 85% signal when it was down and now with it working. Weird that it went down after a storm last month and now working again after a storm. Any idea what could be causing that to happen?

As far as I know the translator station is on autopilot with little management from the engineer. There might have been a brief power outage that triggered a reboot and put everything back to normal. My only gripe now with the station is that on my Zenith converter box channel 24 and 43 both scan in as 45.1 WCWN. So each time you do a rescan of channels you end up with 45.1 and 45.3 repeated twice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts