We are on the way to CES!

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Several staff members have had very early mornings today, as we are in the process of heading to Las Vegas for the 2009 Consumer Electronic Show. We'll be there in force to provide you with the best coverage possible of the show. I'm sitting in an airport waiting for the trip to begin!

Beyond covering Dish Network, my plan is to focus on Blu-Ray, the latest and greatest in HDTV, and computer gadgets. The scope of the CES Show is hard to describe; imagine a Sam's Club or Costco, and triple the size of the building. Then add on a second floor, and only then do you have the Las Vegas Convention Center. Add to that a SECOND convention center (The Venetian/Sands) and you have CES. Stealing from Howard from Big Bang Theory, "its like nerdvanna." :D

I'll continue to blog as the trip progresses. Now, I just want to get on board the plane, and into Las Vegas.

Planes were delayed, but Ramy and I are here, looking out our room on the strip, going to head to the Sands Press Room to get our credentials, and make a plan of attack for tomorrow.

Yeah, my flight /plane originated out of Chicago and they announced it was running about a half hour late. But, finally arrived here and checked in. CC closed the section I usually stay because, they said, turnouit wasn't good this year. So, I'm in the skyrise tower. A bit longer walk to the bus than I usually have.
Time to rest up and do some non-CES activities tomorrow.

I am here and have seen some nice stuff but nothing eye-popping yet.

Given the number if industry/press attendees already, allowing the general public would just be out of control.

But I still want to get to one. It is definitely on my bucket list.

I used to go back in the 1980s when they had two shows. The Summer CES was in Chicago and so was only a few hours drive for me. Back then, I "worked" for one of the local stereo stores and got in using their credentials. After that, SCES would send me invitations year after year, so I continued to attend. Then, SCES tightened the admissions criteria and the side business I had ended. I was selling Electro Harmonix for a couple years, but mostly I did it to get their equipment at cost!

I guess I should have tried to make it this year, but then I think of all the money I have spent of Consumer Electronics over the last 20 years, and I think, "Hell, they should fly me out to Vegas AND pay for my hotel room!"

Last edited:
Might go Friday, but have to find my badge and then decide if i want to deal with figuring out where to park :p

Easy suggestion: Go park at the Tropicana, walk across the street to MGM, jump on the monorail, and you are all set. Although given the lack of crowds, you could probably do that at any hotel except the Hilton or Venetian. :)

I know you can park in the garage at Circus-Circus and catch a free shuttle bus in the morning and return in the afternoon. There is no security for the hotel parking this year so far. Parking if available is running $10-$20 all day at lots near the Convention center.
The show is still quite large and is impossible to cover it all in a rush in one day. 3 minimum to do about 80% of it.
I do expect low crowds this year. Already the hotel said their bookings fell way off with many cancellations. They closed down one whole section of the hotel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts