We currently have 7 receivers - are we out of luck?

jdsabin1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Central IA, USA
I'm reading that the Hopper/Joey system is maxed out at 6 (2 hoppers and 4 joeys). We currently have 7 HD receivers connected to 7 HD sets (with 1 HD DVR). Do we have any options to:

a) Use a standalone Dish HD receiver for the 7th HDTV?;
b) Purchase another joey on our own (or is 6 the literal max?);
c) Connect the 7th HDTV via one of the joeys (and if so, how does it connect and will it still be HD - and I realize it would be mirroring whatever channel that joey was on).

Finally, I read somewhere that with a 2 hopper/4 joey system that you could only watch 4 streams/tvs at a time. Is this true? There are times when we do watch more than four televisions at a time so if this is accurate it's probably not for us regardless.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed now that this has gone live.

:confused:

Jeff

I'd say go back re-read. Just to start, two Hoppers have six tuners, all can be seen by any Joey connected. Soon the Joeys will see all tuners all at the same time, right now you can see one Hopper or the other, and pick which one to see at anytime from the Joey. If you reach the limit allowed then yes you would need to buy the Joeys. You can technically have up to three on each Hopper. (Giving you up to four TV's on each Hopper)
Dish will not allow you to have anything but Hopper/Joey receivers on your account, so no you can not use any present receiver with the Hopper system.
By the way, if you are using the PTAT feature, you are watching/recording 6 channels from one Hopper at that time four being the Networks, if two hoppers, assuming you are not also using the PTAT feature (not sure you would need to other than for a back-up) you would have three more tuners to watch.

Last edited:
He asked for options, that is the best fit..........

yep, just adding in the DIRT part to make sure he can get it done right without going through normal customer service. You could imagine someone trying to go through online chat and trying to get this done..... now that would be scary