Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Thank you to everyone who made their voices heard about the Name Based Recording controversey! After announcing that Name Based Recording would NOT be coming to the 50x series of DVR's, Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergen tonight announced that name based recording would indeed be coming to the 50x series!

It should be noted no word on the 721, and it should also be noted that name based recording has never been announced for the 921

The reason why name based recording is coming is because of all the SatelliteGuys and DBSTalk members who made their voice heard!

Our thanks go out to Charlie Ergen for working with us to get us the promised name based recording feature back in the mix!

Way to go everyone! See what happenes when we all work together? :D

Yes thanks for working together Charlie and Scott. I think he honestly didn't know about the whole NBR thing and when he got in contact with you he got something done. All of this of course unless he just brought it up tonight to keep us strung along, much like about adding a couple of HD channels...

Yeah I think so to, but hoep not. But most likely he was telling them what they wanted to hear...

Charlie the CEO on the Charlie Chat:
We have these Monday morning staff meetings here, and I had the same question this morning. Only because that is a great feature.
[DESCRIPTION SNIPPED]​
It is a great feature and it is scheduled in all the 510's 522's and I had the understanding this morning that it was already downloaded, but Jan you are saying not downloaded yet. So it will be a software upgrade to the box, and I assume - at the worst case you can ask the head of engineering who will be hosting this show in February. And we should have it out by then.
Great question, but it is coming. And again there is nothing you have to do, it is just a download automatically to your set top box to improve the functionallity in the future.​

I just emailed Charlie and thanked him for working with us on this. I am VERY happy!

Thanks again to everyone who made our voices heard!

I'm gonna hold off on the happy dance until we hear again about this. I just don't put enough weight on a Charlie Chat potential slip up. Especially after they had put this to bed a few weeks ago.

Yeah, I wouldn't dance for you guys either. Scott, I know you may be excited at the possibility of the group accomplishing something, but this type of thing is what got it started to begin with...

Scott Greczkowski said:
I just emailed Charlie and thanked him for working with us on this. I am VERY happy!

Thanks again to everyone who made our voices heard!
Did you ever hear back directly from Charlie or have a chance to talk to him in Vegas?

His line back in December seemed to be one of denial - prove what we have promised and not delivered. Today it was denial of a different form - we've already done this, haven't we?

Perhaps this is what he was thinking in December, that E* had already addressed everything they had promised. While I do see this as a very positive sign, the CEO himself saying it WILL be done, I don't see it as a response to our efforts - however noble.

I wonder if Charlie spoke to his head of engineering after the chat tonight? If not I can imagine that will be early on the schedule tomorrow. I couldn't help but wonder when Charlie said "at the worst case you can ask the head of engineering who will be hosting this show in February" who the head of engineering would be. Charlie was embarrassed - and even the tone on the Tech Chats and Charlie Chats transcripted last year seemed pointed - "we need to get this done". If NBR on 510/50x isn't addressed will Charlie have the head of the head of engineering?

JL

You better get a confirmation of this in an email from some people high up from Dish Network. I guess we can dream can't we?

After all we went thru to find CC and tech chats that talked about adding NBR to all the DVR's, I wouldn't think that Charlie would do that all over again after we have been hounding him like crazy over this thing. I am going to believe you for once Charlie, don't let me down buddy.

Charlie has played us before and he'll do it again in the future. I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. Sure deep down I'd like to give the guy a chance and believe him. But he is also the CEO of the company and several layers of management away from the people who actually know about the current state of things.

I'd also like to imagine that it was our community that got Dish to do a 180 on NBR, but I'm not sure. I honesty think that Charlie's quote from the CC was a slip up. It will be interesting to see what Dish does in the next month or two.

chastulsa said:
ok stupid Q. Title says NBR on the 50X series what about the 510?
510 is part of the 50x series (yeah we know it doesn't fit but oh well). They can't use 5xx because that would include the 522. A better name for the 50x series is 5[0|1]x but that's a lot harder to write. :)

shappyss said:
I dont have dish network, but how do you have a DVR without Name based recording? Do you have to always manually enter the time?
With non-NBR, you have to manually set up a timer. In the programming guide you just find the show you want, then hit select. Up comes the timer page and you can make any changes (start early,end late, etc). With NBR, you could just say "Record all episodes of '24'" and it finds it for you. You don't have to manually find and set up timers with NBR.

That reference to the 510 has me worried. He didn't say 50X series. I gotta agree with others who have posted (in the other related topics) that it may only come to the 510 and not to the 508 or the 501 as they have no dvr fee and the 510 does. I realize that they use the same software, but that doesn't mean they HAVE to give the feature to everyone.
Charlie was looking for specific language that he had said earlier it would be provided to all dvr's so I think semantics plays a HUGE role on what is said now. I can't believe after everything that has happened with this issue that he would not choose his words extremely careful.

Since we believe (know) that no questions really get through unless they are the ones Charlie wants, you have to think he had an answer ready.

You'll probably see something start rolling out inside a week unless they have huge stability issues.

942 picture frozen on dvr playback

One thing missing from 942 release notes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)