We Must Be Getting Close

ONE thing that can make a difference for me is if the Hopper Plus will allow for more than ONE streaming channel via EPG guide (such as the HBO's and other streaming channels via EPG) per Hopper 3 system/network. That would have me seriously considering getting the Hopper Plus, after examining how much more my bill would increase, of course.

Also, while some on this thread have pooed the idea of this Hopper Plus: I understand your underwhelming response, but you are POWER USERS who are fully capable of switching inputs and moving from Dish to various connected devices. I do not believe this Hopper Plus was created for you folks. I think it was created for the vast 95%, which includes EVERYBODY else in my family, who are utterly LOST when switching inputs and find it confounding, especially those advanced in years. The idea of a product that will allow a fully capable "connected device" in the form of Google TV and access to Dish DVR's is manna from heaven for that vast majority of folks and solves their problems.

Also, this device can help retain Dish subscribers who also stream content from other providers because it all happens through the Dish experience and makes it easier to integrate the Dish subscription with other apps and streaming services and creates a sense that Dish is useful and some subscribers may fell less likely to cancel the Dish subscription. I would think the Sling TV app could be downloaded as well, and if subscribers decide that Dish satellite is too expensive and they need to cancel, the Hopper Plus allows Dish to offer its own Sling TV as an vMVPD solution keeping the money with Charlie.

If the Hopper Plus seems to work as it is suggested, I would recommend it to my elderly aunt and uncle because while they use a Harmony I set up to change inputs, it still can present problems, and I think that they would LOVE all the access to streaming apps to be via the Dish system. In fact, they watch Netflix the most because they can easily access it today using the Dish H3, and the LOVE how easy it is to access it with Dish.

Well, I can hardly wait for the reports from limited release users in the summer.

ONE thing that can make a difference for me is if the Hopper Plus will allow for more than ONE streaming channel via EPG guide (such as the HBO's and other streaming channels via EPG) per Hopper 3 system/network. That would have me seriously considering getting the Hopper Plus, after examining how much more my bill would increase, of course.

Also, while some on this thread have pooed the idea of this Hopper Plus: I understand your underwhelming response, but you are POWER USERS who are fully capable of switching inputs and moving from Dish to various connected devices. I do not believe this Hopper Plus was created for you folks. I think it was created for the vast 95%, which includes EVERYBODY else in my family, who are utterly LOST when switching inputs and find it confounding, especially those advanced in years. The idea of a product that will allow a fully capable "connected device" in the form of Google TV and access to Dish DVR's is manna from heaven for that vast majority of folks and solves their problems.

Also, this device can help retain Dish subscribers who also stream content from other providers because it all happens through the Dish experience and makes it easier to integrate the Dish subscription with other apps and streaming services and creates a sense that Dish is useful and some subscribers may fell less likely to cancel the Dish subscription. I would think the Sling TV app could be downloaded as well, and if subscribers decide that Dish satellite is too expensive and they need to cancel, the Hopper Plus allows Dish to offer its own Sling TV as an vMVPD solution keeping the money with Charlie.

If the Hopper Plus seems to work as it is suggested, I would recommend it to my elderly aunt and uncle because while they use a Harmony I set up to change inputs, it still can present problems, and I think that they would LOVE all the access to streaming apps to be via the Dish system. In fact, they watch Netflix the most because they can easily access it today using the Dish H3, and the LOVE how easy it is to access it with Dish.

Well, I can hardly wait for the reports from limited release users in the summer.
Some excellent valid points made here. This could become the KISS version not only for the 95% but the other 5% as well.

There was a recent software update (H315 i believe) that increases the on-demand stream limit to 3, which includes internet streamed channels. So you should be able to do this now even without the Hopper Plus

I believe that the Hopper Plus will require the new Joey 4's if one needs Joeys for other TV's. Also, it states that the Hopper Plus is to be "paired with a Joey 4"

So, in other words, as I understand it, if anyone wants the Hopper Plus, then they must also upgrade all the Joeys they currently have. The question will be what the upgrade cost will be and what any additional MONTHLY fees/costs will be.
Correct - which is good for me because it will create a TON of paid work orders upgrading Joeys - which is as easy as it gets. With the work-load declining and Cost-of-Living exploding over the last few years, this will be very welcomed

I believe that the Hopper Plus will require the new Joey 4's if one needs Joeys for other TV's. Also, it states that the Hopper Plus is to be "paired with a Joey 4"
What about the reverse? I want to buy a J4 but I see no need for the H+ at the moment.
I understand your underwhelming response, but you are POWER USERS who are fully capable of switching inputs and moving from Dish to various connected devices. I do not believe this Hopper Plus was created for you folks. I think it was created for the vast 95%, which includes EVERYBODY else in my family, who are utterly LOST when switching inputs and find it confounding, especially those advanced in years.
Well, I may be advanced in years but I have no issues changing inputs. But I sure as hell did this morning when I was completely confounded by my Westinghouse TV. This particular rather ancient TV was my first HDTV. It has a built-in switch that automatically switches to the last input on which it sees video. If it's not on at the time, it turns on.

Further complicating the issue is the paucity of HDMI ports on that old TV. I added another automatic switch in series with the built-in switch to handle a Joey, a BD player, and a media streamer via one HDMI port. The other had a FireTV Stick. I saw no picture on the Joey. I saw no picture on the FireTV Stick. Video was present on both, because the TV didn't turn off. I had to unplug the FireTV Stick to get the TV out of it's funk. Weird.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Was talking to dish. Hopper plus require the joey 4, older joey will not work with andriod tv platform, Each Hopper 3 will require it own Hopper plus. dish people are unaware of any restriction on how many hopper plus you have per account as of yet. according to dish there is not monthly fee for hopper plus. and Joey 4 will have the same 7$ monthly fee as 4k joey. Select area are already beta testing the units

I hope the no restrictions hold true as i dont want have go threw hoops to get 2nd one like did trying to get 2nd hopper 3.

I look foward to this as I will finaly disconnect my TCL tv from internet and never have to worry about there updates breaking gamemode again. also look foward to arguing with dish about get the upgrade for free almost 20 years with dish come in handy when say i will drop them.

Last edited:
Well when they release in my area i gona be talking to dish about get hopper plus and 2 joey 4 to replace 2 4k joeys i have.

Was talking to dish though.

Hopper plus require the joey 4, older joey will not work with andriod tv platform, Each Hopper 3 will require it own Hopper plus.

I will be talking to dish once i know they released to have them upgrade my 2 4k joeys to joey 4 and about get 2 hopper plus hope they dont make pain to get 2 like it was with get 2 h3 current dish people are unaware of any restriction on how many hopper plus you have per account. according to dish there is not monthly fee for hopper plus. and Joey 4 will have the same 7$ monthly fee as 4k joey
Thanks. Did DISH say anything about the WJs?

Thanks. Did DISH say anything about the WJs?

I did not specifically ask about the wireless one cause i know how bad and laggy they are. cause we have those in NJ house there super laggy even when router and joey are in same room 5 feet away

But I am assuming the new WJ's will be required by Hopper plus like the joey 4 is i am also assuming there monthly charge is gona be the same

out curiously do we know what hardware specs are for 4k joey? see joey 4 is 4gb ram 16gb emmc and quad core is 4k lower spec or higher?

I do hope 4k joey heat was addressed with joey 4 cause those 4k joey really do run hot

I agree. But even if you are a very tech-competent "power user," it's still very nice to have all your TV viewing consolidated on one box with one cohesive UI on one input using one remote. I'd say I fall into the "power user" category and I watch everything (except discs) through my Apple TV 4K and love it.

Now my elderly parents are definitely NOT power users. I recently switched them from Dish over to YouTube TV on an Android TV device that has all the apps they use, so they no longer have to switch from one box and remote to another for streaming versus "regular TV". Back when they had Dish, my Dad would always get mixed up when the TV wasn't set to the input he expected. (Yes, I tried setting them up with a Harmony universal remote but even that didn't work out great.) Situation is way better for them now.

Comcast, and now Dish with the Android TV-powered Hopper Plus and Joey 4, seem to be miles ahead of all other pay TV operators in terms of their tech platform and broad app support. It's not enough to just offer a good-quality cable TV service, operators have to offer a turnkey set-up that incorporates all of the content customers want on the same device, allowing them to own input 1. Because if they don't, many folks will just switch to an app-based cable TV service like YouTube TV or Hulu Live that works along with all the other services they care about on whatever streaming devices they already own.

I did not specifically ask about the wireless one cause i know how bad and laggy they are. cause we have those in NJ house there super laggy even when router and joey are in same room 5 feet away
Your router has nothing to do with Wireless Joeys although being it to close to the WAP can have issues

I agree. But even if you are a very tech-competent "power user," it's still very nice to have all your TV viewing consolidated on one box with one cohesive UI on one input using one remote. I'd say I fall into the "power user" category and I watch everything (except discs) through my Apple TV 4K and love it.

Now my elderly parents are definitely NOT power users. I recently switched them from Dish over to YouTube TV on an Android TV device that has all the apps they use, so they no longer have to switch from one box and remote to another for streaming versus "regular TV". Back when they had Dish, my Dad would always get mixed up when the TV wasn't set to the input he expected. (Yes, I tried setting them up with a Harmony universal remote but even that didn't work out great.) Situation is way better for them now.

Comcast, and now Dish with the Android TV-powered Hopper Plus and Joey 4, seem to be miles ahead of all other pay TV operators in terms of their tech platform and broad app support. It's not enough to just offer a good-quality cable TV service, operators have to offer a turnkey set-up that incorporates all of the content customers want on the same device, allowing them to own input 1. Because if they don't, many folks will just switch to an app-based cable TV service like YouTube TV or Hulu Live that works along with all the other services they care about on whatever streaming devices they already own.
I had to chuckle at the "power user" labeling. My wife only knows that when the TV is on satellite, pushing the "Home" button on the FireTVstick remote switches to the Firestick, and pressing the "SAT" button on the H2 remote switches back to satellite. She has no idea why it works, and she really doesn't care... ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if the next version of the Hopper will be a headless unit like the AirTV Anywhere that Dish makes for Sling.

I know the answer to this but I am going to ask anyway; since they are making a "wireless joey" (since it has an ethernet port I am assuming it can be connected that way as well) it stands to reason that they could make an app for other Android TV or Roku/AppleTV/Amazon devices to talk to the Hopper. Any chance this will be an option?

I know the answer to this but I am going to ask anyway; since they are making a "wireless joey" (since it has an ethernet port I am assuming it can be connected that way as well) it stands to reason that they could make an app for other Android TV or Roku/AppleTV/Amazon devices to talk to the Hopper. Any chance this will be an option?
You mean something like the DISH Anywhere app???

Shades of the Logitech Revue. ;) I'm probably the only one who bought one of those things. It was a weird one with HDMI in as well as out. (Your Dish receiver out went to that HDMI in.) Kinda clunky and there were never very many apps designed for Android 3.0.

Oh, I had one. Thanks for the reminder! I probably still have it in a junk box somewhere.

Reactions: TheKrell
I had to chuckle at the "power user" labeling. My wife only knows that when the TV is on satellite, pushing the "Home" button on the FireTVstick remote switches to the Firestick, and pressing the "SAT" button on the H2 remote switches back to satellite. She has no idea why it works, and she really doesn't care... ;)
Yeah, if your TV and all its connected devices properly support HDMI-CEC, that goes a long way toward making it simpler to juggle multiple inputs. Still though, one must deal with the hassle of multiple remotes, which isn't ideal for most folks.

And from Dish's perspective, they'd much rather you do all your streaming on their box. Because the more time you spend watching TV through something else -- a Fire TV stick, a Roku box, etc. -- the greater the likelihood that you think "Why do I still spend so much per month to keep this Dish box that I use less and less?"

And from Dish's perspective, they'd much rather you do all your streaming on their box. Because the more time you spend watching TV through something else -- a Fire TV stick, a Roku box, etc. -- the greater the likelihood that you think "Why do I still spend so much per month to keep this Dish box that I use less and less?"
You are probably right. I may be in the minority but I believe a dedicated "pipe" for incoming TV (satellite or cable) and a dedicated network for TV viewing (MoCA for example) provides the best experience. If I was in charge of designing a system it would be for Dish to create a headless Hopper like the AirTV Anywhere and create MoCA USB adapters for Apple TV (the current models dont have USB so there would have to be a new model from Apple)/Roku/Android/etc so they could act as clients to the dedicated Dish network along with a Dish app.

Anyway, I think this new Android product is the next best thing and should be great. Just hope the specs allow for this box to stay current for awhile.

Reactions: MSEman and NashGuy
You are probably right. I may be in the minority but I believe a dedicated "pipe" for incoming TV (satellite or cable) and a dedicated network for TV viewing (MoCA for example) provides the best experience. If I was in charge of designing a system it would be for Dish to create a headless Hopper like the AirTV Anywhere and create MoCA USB adapters for Apple TV (the current models dont have USB so there would have to be a new model from Apple)/Roku/Android/etc so they could act as clients to the dedicated Dish network along with a Dish app.

Anyway, I think this new Android product is the next best thing and should be great. Just hope the specs allow for this box to stay current for awhile.
The solution you're proposing would likely be seen as sub-optimal from Dish's perspective because it would make their service "just another app" on your Apple TV or other streaming device.

But the new Hopper Plus will feature a Dish-designed home screen. Yes, the underlying operating system is Android TV -- meaning that the Hopper Plus has access to the Google Play app store and has Google Assistant and Chromecast features built-in -- but the home screen is controlled by Dish, not Google. When you start it up, you're immediately in Dish territory. From there you can watch their service or opt to launch apps like Netflix, HBO Max, etc. But those third-party apps are "side dishes" while Dish is presented as the main entree.

Beyond that, IMO, using the sort of simple remote that typically comes with streaming devices for a live cable TV service isn't the best. It's nicer to have a full-featured remote control that's custom-designed for the service, with dedicated buttons for DVR, record, last channel, channel number keys, etc. And the Hopper Plus, of course, will still use the regular Dish Hopper remote that has all that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)