SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL

Android TV Launch Guide​

Overview
  • Android TV is a new addition to the Hopper family of receivers
  • These new products take all of the features on the Hopper and Joeys today and combine them with the power of a smart TV platform
    • Instead of being limited to only those apps available on the Hopper, you can now download thousands of apps directly from the Google Play Store.
      • For example, Disney+, Hulu, and Spotify are all now available on your Hopper or Joey!
  • This platform consists of:
  • Hopper Plus
    • This device connects via a USB cable to the Hopper
      • Hopper 3 only at launch
        • Hopper w/ Sling compatibility will follow at a later date
        • Will not be available for Hopper 2000
    • Essentially it “upgrades” the Hopper 3 to the Android platform
  • Joey 4 and Wireless Joey 4
  • Both Joeys use the same physical installation steps as the current Joeys
Key Features
  • Chromecast built-in, so customers can cast content from compatible smart devices
  • 4K, HDR, and Atmos capable
  • Improved Google Assistant integration
  • Download apps available from the Google Play Store (6000+)

Attachments

• android1.jpg
    android1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2,252
  • android2.jpg
    android2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,378

Android TV Launch Guide​

Overview
  • These new products take all of the features on the Hopper and Joeys today and combine them with the power of a smart TV platform
    • Instead of being limited to only those apps available on the Hopper, you can now download thousands of apps directly from the Google Play Store.
      • For example, Disney+, Hulu, and Spotify are all now available on your Hopper or Joey!
  • Hopper Plus
Key Features
  • Chromecast built-in, so customers can cast content from compatible smart devices
Heard this earlier. Great news IMO.

Android TV Launch Guide​

Overview
  • Hopper Plus
Key Features
That announcement is confusing as hell! Which key features apply to the H+ and which to the J4? The above almost makes it sound like the J4 comes with the Android TV built-in. That can't be right. As it is, I intend to buy a J4 but NOT a H+ because we've already migrated those apps to our Roku TVs.

Android TV Launch Guide​

Overview
  • Hopper Plus
Key Features

I'm happy to see the Hopper w/Sling is included, even if I will have to wait a bit longer... :)

The above almost makes it sound like the J4 comes with the Android TV built-in. That can't be right. As it is, I intend to buy a J4 but NOT a H+ because we've already migrated those apps to our Roku TVs.
I assume to get the new UI/features on additional TVs you would need to get the new Joeys. Question is would a J4 or WJ4 require a Hopper Plus attached to the host Hopper to work, and vice versa if you just wanted to add a Hopper Plus to a H3 would you also have to upgrade all the attached Joeys to J4s or would the older Joeys continue to work with the "old" Carbon UI?

That announcement is confusing as hell! Which key features apply to the H+ and which to the J4? The above almost makes it sound like the J4 comes with the Android TV built-in. That can't be right. As it is, I intend to buy a J4 but NOT a H+ because we've already migrated those apps to our Roku TVs.
Perhaps the J4 will operate on it's own, for Android, kind of like the 4K Joey would work without the Hopper 3 for 4K.

I get that they are trying to make an all-in-one system.
But,
1) the proliferation of streaming devices and smart tvs make this redundant? What will it better than smart tv or having 'choice of stick'.
2) the problematic function of H3 and 4k, hdr, streaming already has me feeling 'reboot every other time' switching from sat-to-stream and versa.

Holding out hope something remarkably stupendous arrives

There are other posts on that bulletin but they're just about installation/activation. I'm not sure about the Joeys, either. Dish has scrapped Joey 1's - FINALLY and I doubt Joey 2's and current Wireless Joeys would support the platform. It does seem odd that Joey 3's aren't mentioned

My understanding on this is that they are doing a limited rollout in select areas in order to get more feedback so they can tweak it for final full release which is expected this summer. I do not however know what those select areas are or how you can get one if you are in those areas.

If you are one of those folks selected, please be sure to post about it here, and if you have any questions you can post them here as well, and we have been told by DISH that we can answer those question. With that said we are very limited at what we can say about it until it is in the publics hands.

But with what HipKat has posted above, I must say I am disappointed there is no Dolby Vision support on these boxes. Even some of the cheap Android boxes at Walmart now support those standards now.

What features does this provide that my Nvidia Shield TV Pro does not offer?
Live DISH TV all in one unit with integrated search through the DISH On Demand Library with Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. All controlled with your DISH remote.

Everything without having to switch HDMI ports on your TV

Last edited:
Live DISH TV all in one unit with integrated search through the DISH On Demand Library with Netscape, Amazon Prime etc. All controlled with your DISH remote.

I have Dish Anywhere on my Nvidia box now and have the Amazon Prime app. Not sure if I have Netscape, though. Will the Dish system work with KODI?

I have Dish Anywhere on my Nvidia box now and have the Amazon Prime app. Not sure if I have Netscape, though. Will the Dish system work with KODI?
When you get one, compare the picture quality between Dish Anywhere to whats coming direct from your Hopper 3. Remember you still have the Hopper experience you are use to.

As far as will it run... well if its in the Android Play Store it will work on it. DISH has no control over whats in the Play Store.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Live DISH TV all in one unit with integrated search through the DISH On Demand Library with Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. All controlled with your DISH remote.

Switching ports? My Harmony remote does a great job handling that now....

Android TV Launch Guide​

Overview
  • Hopper Plus
Key Features
Is there a price on this and the new Joey?

Reactions: charlesrshell