We Need Better International News In English!

leegart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I really wish our friends at DISH would give us the new BBC World news channel and CNN-International! We are relegated to CNN-US, Headline News, MSNBC, you- know-what on Channel 205, and the few hours of BBC News on BBC-America. I don't feel that I am getting enough balanced, intelligent, substantive international news reporting. To me, this should be a fundamental advantage of satellite TV over domestic cable. Where is it? protest ?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I would like to see Dish add Euronews.

That, CBC and Deutsche Welle as part of an international news package would be great.

Totally agree. At least BBC World and CNN International. I am doubtful in regards to Euronews though, I don't think this channel can be distributed in North America.

My roots lie in Europe and I miss international news coverage I was getting back there. I had an impression that this situation is due to most Americans not being interested in that kind of programming. Is that true?

I, am personally, very interested in it.

Born and raised in surburban US.

Sincerely, Blue blooded American who is tired of being spoon fed my news by the few that control so much of the media outlets in the US. And, althoug I couldnt live without the net, it gets old as the only real source of international news

kenny911 said:
Amen. BBC world and cnn international would be nice.

Double-amen, here. I watched a fair amount of CNN over the 4th holiday and they're getting more and more like Fox every day--and that's NOT a good thing.

Adult, objective journalism CAN be entertainingly watchable w/out flippant banter, empty-headed posturing (alternating from macho to fear-mongering, minute-to-minute) and cheesy graphics, but you wouldn't know that from the typical American broadcast.

Last edited:
NEOSG said:
I, am personally, very interested in it.

Born and raised in surburban US.

Sincerely, Blue blooded American who is tired of being spoon fed my news by the few that control so much of the media outlets in the US. And, althoug I couldnt live without the net, it gets old as the only real source of international news

shanewalker said:
Double-amen, here. I watched a fair amount of CNN over the 4th holiday and they're getting more and more like Fox every day--and that's NOT a good thing.

Adult, objective journalism CAN be entertainingly watchable w/out flippant banter, empty-headed posturing (alternating from macho to fear-mongering, minute-to-minute) and cheesy graphics, but you wouldn't know that from the typical American broadcast.

I am also a native American but I have traveled overseas and have friends in Europe. I am tired of the "dumbed-down" lazy cable and network news which is "forced" on us. I also agree that CNN-U.S. is getting hard to tolerate.

BBC, CNN-International and the others mentioned do a far better job of objectively, skillfully and substantively reporting news from other countries. We Americans need to (and should want to know) what is happening in the rest of the world. Satellite technology is perfect for bringing this to us. D* and E* are both not realizing their potential.

I would love to be able to tune in the BBC or CNN-I any time of the day or night and really find out what is happening. How about it DISH!!!! !protest

This is from another thread on the same topic:

News in Englsih from other parts of the world on the Dish system includes:

England
Channel 135 - BBC World News on BBC America:
Saturday and Sunday
6:00am (ET)
Monday - Friday
6:00am-9:00am and 6:00pm (ET),

Germany
Channel 9410 European News Journal from Deutsche Welle (Germany) in English on World Link
Daily 1:30am, 7:30am, 1:30pm, 7:30pm

Channel 9410 DW Journal (Business News from Germany)
4am, 10am, 4pm, 10pm

Middle East Edited
Channel 9410 Mosaic (Middle East) Mosaic features selections from daily TV news programs produced by national broadcasters throughout the Middle East. The news reports are presented unedited and translated, when necessary, into English.
Unknown playback times.

China Government censored
Channel 264 China Central TV (Several News programs in English. Schedule unknown)

Japan
Channel 640 TV Japan (NHK News Programs free to all subscribers and FTA receivers) Some news programs in English. 7am news (the Evening news in Japan) has a Second Audio track in English. Select "Japanese" on the Dish receiver to get the program in English.

That's all I know about in English. Everything except BBC America is available with AT60 or less! BBC America requires AT120.

AT120 also opens up access to news from Mexico but that would be in Spanish. As is news from Spain on HITN available with AT60 or less.

See ya
Tony

I agree with all, but one thing troubles me. It seems that feeds that BBC allows local PBS and BBC America to air are tailored for "the U.S. Audience". Those select newscasts are heavy with U.S. domestic news or "International" news from Washington D.C.. I don't need anymore U.S. news. What I need is what the US networks don't provide: international news or domestic news of a foriegn country--and not how it affects the U.S. There is great value in news that has nothing directly to do with the U.S. So far, TV 5's daily newscast from channel 2 is the closest to filling that bill. It provides a much better understanding of the Europeon Union, or Europe's strengths and weaknesses, all those things that would make us a better informed U.S. citizenry. BBC World, yes. But please don't tailor a thing for the "U.S. Audience". Just air what you have been, including UK domestic, and the segments designed for Asia and Africa. Thank you.

TNGTony said:
This is from another thread on the same topic:

News in Englsih from other parts of the world on the Dish system includes:

Thanks for the info TNGTony but we want the channels continuously so we can watch the quality newscasts every hour. What you listed is helpful but 24/7 access to BBC, CNN-I, Euronews, DW, CBC, etc. would be much better.

I understand what people want. But what some here want and what is actually available are two different things.

DW does not have an international 24 hour news channel. The DW channel on Dish now is it. this has some German programming as well as the news in English, Spanish and German. The studio I work at programs one of its channels with all three language broadcasts for the afternoon and evening. All the news in English available on DW is being shown on World Link (or SAFE TV if you have Sky Angel). There is no more to pick up.

The CBC used to have Newsworld International. That channel went out of business. CBS sold it to Al Gore and it is curreltly "Current" so no 24 hour news from Canada.

CNN-I is based out of Atlanta and it is mostly US news with some international content (I see a lot of this channel when I travel abroad, it is not much different than the Domestic channel).

TV Japan has all its news and public affairs programming in the clear now on Dish and FTA systems. There is no other news channel.

All the Chinese news there is to get is on CCTV4. There is no 24 hour news channel.

Sky News is "Fox News Channel" with british anchors stationed in London.

Really the only 24 hour English language news channel from abroad available to the US is BBC World News International.

I'm not familiar with Euronews. I'll have to take a look at that to see what they are all about.

Sorry to disappoint, but it is very difficult for Dish or DirecTV to pick up channels that are just not available. (Meaning not in existance).

See ya
Tony

I can't believe Dish Network and DirecTV haven't realized that there are people who appreciate a wide variety of NEWS programming like some like a large variety of kids or movies or sports or educational / informative channels. The sooner they do, the better because I'm fairly sure that CNN International is pennies on the dollar compared to CNN itself and almost any other channel for that matter. Unfortunately, that isn't the one I want the most. EuroNews and BBC World News are THE ones to get for me.

Thanks Scott. I composed this message before I saw your post.

Okay... I officially like EuroNews! :)
Some info about the channel http://www.euronews.net/feedback/en/EuroNews_2006_MP_en.pdf

Their web site is http://www.euronews.net
Be aware that is a .NET site. The .com site is a rip-off link site.

I'd like to see Dish launch this channel with all the languages in the various "Language" modes. I'll take it A la carte or as part of a package.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
CNN-I is based out of Atlanta and it is mostly US news with some international content (I see a lot of this channel when I travel abroad, it is not much different than the Domestic channel).

I think CNN-International is quite different from CNN domestic. While they use some of the same reports and reporters, they have a separate editorial apparatus, the writing in the newscasts is vastly different, and the stories often are longer and in more detail. Since they are competing with BBC-World, the style of the reports, intended for international audiences, is not "dumbed down" as it is for CNN's domestic news reports. It is actually quite different.

Best,

Leegart

I have seen this channel in Europe and in Asia. It is not exatly the same as CNN, but "it's the same thing" if you get my meaning. The stories might be longer, but not told differently. Larry King and World report are identical. All the regular shows are the same. It is really not "different" enough to make it worth anyone's while.

See ya
Tony

I get Euronews on ExpressVU and its a great news channel, its not watered down, its just reporting. A few weeks ago they actually showed video of someone getting executed because it was news, you would never see that on America's News Channels as they wouldnt show it as it would offend some viewers.

On ExpressVU they have it as 5 channels one broadcasting each language, however the same can be done with the language selection screen on a Dish Network receiver.

Yeah it always makes me shake my head, when I see "International" or "World" News, and all is from or about the U.S. There's more beyond the borders of this country. The U.S. is NOT the "World"! It's just a small part of it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)