Status
Not open for further replies.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
"We need your help to SURVIVE!"

Is that new ? It seems like something is different in the "ad row" above.

:confused: Capture.JPG:confused:

I logged in under my wifes name above to capture that pic.

Pub members or supporting founders won't see it, but that's not relevant.

It's the way it's worded...sounds drastic or worrisome.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Pub members or supporting founders won't see it, but that's not relevant.

It's the way it's worded...sounds drastic or worrisome.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I'm a Pub Member and I see it. Just like in HiFi's post above....

But you're right, it does kinda sound ominous.....

Pub members dont see it

non-pub members DO. I logged in under my non staff login (to check things like this) and I do see the following

To Remove The Ads Below, PLEASE Consider Becoming a Supporting Pub Member! We need your help to SURVIVE! Thank you!

I need to change that to say "keep the lights on" to me survive sounds too harsh.

We are in no danger of not surviving.

Here is what is up as far as financials go. As I reported one of our biggest ad agencies which counted for over 70% of the revenue we draw went belly up as of May 1st. I have (unsucessfully) been trying to replace the lost revenues with our other agencies, but those agencies are more strict where ads can be placed and they also pay a lot less then what the old agency paid.

In addition moving the ads around to try making up the revenue must have upset the Google Adsense algorythem, as once I moved the ads around our Adsense revenue dropped by almost 80%. Adsense was our #2 revenue generator. When Adsense does this it can sometimes take a few months before the revenue climbs back up to where it was again. Adsense does not like change and by moving around all the ad code it upset the Adsense gods.

But with that said I have always been one to save for a rainy day. And with that the money I put away would keep us online for a long time to come. So I am not worried about anything or worried about the site going away. :) (I always kept money aside for a rainy day just in case we have a server hardware issue or needed it for board expenses.)

To be honest (and I told this to Dfergie this at CES in January) with the old agency (that is now defunct) we were looking we were for the first time ever going to see a large profit. But at the moment it looks like that won't happen and for me I am ok with that, but even still we will make enough to keep us floating along. :)

Now a few people last night donated to the site (I am guessing because of this thread) and first I would like to say THANK YOU for your support, but secondly that if you would like your donations back due to my poor wording as they thought we were in dire straights please let me know and I will send it right back immediately with no hard feelings. We have the greatest members here and for that I thank you!

I appologize for my poor wording as that was not my intention at all. One of the things people tell me is they would have become Pub Members a long time ago but didn't know how to become one or that we offered an option to get rid of the ads. By placing a note about Pub Membership up there was my way of letting them know about it without begging... but I quickly did it and by looking at it... well it looks like I am begging. And again for that I am sorry.

I will reword that line in a few moments. Thanks for the feedback and again my appoligies to all who were concerned!

hehehe yea I bet those that saw the first ad were a bit taken aback.:D

On the bright side I feel confident you will be able to find some good advertisers for this site.:)

Here is what is up as far as financials go. As I reported one of our biggest ad agencies which counted for over 70% of the revenue we draw went belly up as of May 1st. I have (unsucessfully) been trying to replace the lost revenues with our other agencies, but those agencies are more strict where ads can be placed and they also pay a lot less then what the old agency paid.

In addition moving the ads around to try making up the revenue must have upset the Google Adsense algorythem, as once I moved the ads around our Adsense revenue dropped by almost 80%. Adsense was our #2 revenue generator. When Adsense does this it can sometimes take a few months before the revenue climbs back up to where it was again. Adsense does not like change and by moving around all the ad code it upset the Adsense gods.

But with that said I have always been one to save for a rainy day. And with that the money I put away would keep us online for a long time to come. So I am not worried about anything or worried about the site going away. :) (I always kept money aside for a rainy day just in case we have a server hardware issue or needed it for board expenses.)

To be honest (and I told this to Dfergie this at CES in January) with the old agency (that is now defunct) we were looking we were for the first time ever going to see a large profit. But at the moment it looks like that won't happen and for me I am ok with that, but even still we will make enough to keep us floating along. :)

Why not direct sell ad space to companies in the satellite TV and related technology space? If this website really has 90 million page views a month then $10,000+ in revenue is not impossible. A top site like The Huffington Post generates around $500,000 on that many page views by direct selling ads.

We could sell direct ads, but honestly I perfer not to. I get requests from a few companies a week looking to advertise here and I turn them all down just because I dont want to peddle my members JUNK. If I can't trust or buy from one of these companies myself there is no way I would want to recommend them to my members. To many fly by night companies.

In addition some sponsors don't get when they buy ad space here thats all they are buying not a license to spam. All the companies that were sponsors here that arn't any more are not here any longer because I booted them not because they didn't want to be here. Some were booted due to customer service issues, poor quality equipment or just plain out spamming. A few offered to pay double what they were paying for to come back and I declined.

I am sure I could go directly to DISH Network and they would be more then happy to write me a big check, however its in my contracts with ad agencies that I can not see direct sponsorship from companies which advertise through them and I respect that.

If it was about money I could be making major bank with this site, but I dont want to push crap down our members throats. I take pride in our Gold Sponsors and pick them carefully.

The syndicated ad we run I work to keep those ads clean and keep crap like pop ups, audio, self playing video and stuff like that off the site. Its a hard drive to keep them clean as many of the ad agencies are not showing behaviorial ads showing members ads based on their browsing history. We had on guy who let his teen age son use his computer and the next day he came to SatelliteGuys and all the ads shown were for adult dating and webcam sites. Because these were behavioural ads they were not listed in the regular ads running from any of the ad agencies. For that one I had to have the member take screen shots of each ad so I could go in and block those sites from showing their ads here. This alone took a number of hours but was happy when I was able to block them all so that the member could again browse without having these ads pop up.

It's quite a bit of juggleing I have to do to try keeping everyone happy. We need the ads to pay the bills, but I also do not want to drive people away from the site. So this is the tightrope I am walking on running this site. I got to admit I am not perfect but I try my best to make SatelliteGuys the best it can be for YOU!

Behavioral ads were the reason why I decide to just be a pub member. I was getting SICK of them. If an agency wants to run ads related to any technology stuff, I'm fine with that since Satelliteguys is a site all about technology. But running ads based on my browsing history or internet cache or whatever just annoys the hell out of me and if I don't want to see those kinds of ads, I had to keep deleting my history before I logged in on here. So I just said screw it and became a pub member and now I don't have to deal with that crap anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)