Weather Issues or Other

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
I live in Glastonbury, CT and my dish is pole mounted. During the past few weeks there have been some storms in which
I have lost reception from a few minutes to an hour. I cannot remember a time this happening so frequently. Wondering if anyone in the area has had the same issues? With winter coming, I do not want to deal with consistent loss of signal.

This is not normal rain. :)

Be careful they are advising people in Glastonbury to take shelter in their basements currently. Tornado warning.

Scott Greczkowski said:
This is not normal rain. :)

Be careful they are advising people in Glastonbury to take shelter in their basements currently. Tornado warning.

Thanks! I am actually in my basement reading a book because I have no TV (llol). But again, this has happened moreso than just today.

cjwct said:
Thanks! I am actually in my basement reading a book because I have no TV (llol). But again, this has happened moreso than just today.

It s extremely calm and bright outside . . . Very eeeerie to say the least! Okay, back to my basement.

The weather in CT has been stronger this year, certainly heavier than normal rains. I generally don't lose reception more than a couple of times a year from the rain. This year it's happened numerous times.

raoul5788 said:
The weather in CT has been stronger this year, certainly heavier than normal rains. I generally don't lose reception more than a couple of times a year from the rain. This year it's happened numerous times.

That's good to know; thanks! Frustrating to say the least!

It is, especially if you are watching something good!

The weather throughout the country has been really bizarre this year so I would expect that there might be more weather related outages than usual. A couple of nights ago we had a line of severe thunderstorms pass through and I lost the signal for about 15 minutes. First time I had that happen in a couple of years. Could have been worse, cable lines came down in various places and it took at least a day or two to get everybody back and running.

Check your Ka band signals on a clear day, if they're not in the 90's then your dish needs some fine tuning.

It has been very stormy this year and I've lost signal more times in the past two weeks than in a usual year.
It is frustrating, but there's nothing you can do about it, except go to cable (like that would happen?).
Just make sure your signals are as strong as possible. This can shorten the outage time.
I have OTA, so if I'm watching a network when I lose the sat signal, I just switch to the antenna.
But, that can be a problem as well. Then it's read a book time or watch a recording, if power stays up.

Thanks everyone; glad to see I am not alone and others experiencing similar issues especially during storms this year.

Also, Ka band goes first and many times Ku will still work some time after Ka band has gone out. During stormy weather I switch my guide to show SD duplicates so I can switch to the Ku SD feed when the Ka HD feed goes out.

Last edited:
It has been very stormy this year and I've lost signal more times in the past two weeks than in a usual year.
It is frustrating, but there's nothing you can do about it, except go to cable (like that would happen?).
Just make sure your signals are as strong as possible. This can shorten the outage time.
I have OTA, so if I'm watching a network when I lose the sat signal, I just switch to the antenna.
But, that can be a problem as well. Then it's read a book time or watch a recording, if power stays up.

See post # 8 ...

If the storms are bad enough that they bring lines down, chances are your Cable is out too and you'll be waiting 3-5 days for restoral ...
Which is better, an hour tops or 3-5 days ? :rolleyes:

Last year my son insisted we not get DirecTV. Since he no longer lives with us I had it installed a week ago Saturday (upstate New York). The next day we had two storms and it went out both times. Sure enough my son came home this Saturday and we had another storm while he was watching it and it went out again.

Still, I am very happy especially to get NFL Ticket and for the savings over cable.

I just had D* installed a few weeks ago, and have lost signal three times already here in North East PA. Twice I actually lost the signal before it started raining. All of my signals seem good, so I guess it must just be the heavy storms?

I just had D* installed a few weeks ago, and have lost signal three times already here in North East PA. Twice I actually lost the signal before it started raining. All of my signals seem good, so I guess it must just be the heavy storms?

Losing signal before it starts r4aining is very common, normally the storms come from the SW as is the Sats.
Therefore, when the Sat goes out, and it's not raining, y6ou know a storm is coming, go out pick stuff up and be happy, usually by the time the rain starts, you'll have service back !

Last year my son insisted we not get DirecTV. Since he no longer lives with us I had it installed a week ago Saturday (upstate New York). The next day we had two storms and it went out both times. Sure enough my son came home this Saturday and we had another storm while he was watching it and it went out again.

Still, I am very happy especially to get NFL Ticket and for the savings over cable.

Your Son has Cable ?

Ask him how he feels when the storm takes his Cable line o9ut and is without TV for 3-5 days waiting for them to get there.
Ask him how he likes his Cable then !!!

Your Son has Cable ?

Ask him how he feels when the storm takes his Cable line o9ut and is without TV for 3-5 days waiting for them to get there.
Ask him how he likes his Cable then !!!

Actually we had Time-Warner and their predecessors since 1980. I was happy with them but too expensive and no NFL Ticket.

Joseph Giorgianni said:
Actually we had Time-Warner and their predecessors since 1980. I was happy with them but too expensive and no NFL Ticket.

Our Time-Warner (bright house now) here is horrible! I would be shocked if 20% of the people in the area still use them for tv. Most of us use them for high speed Internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts