WEB BROWSER FOR HOPPER

rstaples312

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Kentucky
A HOPPER FEATURE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE

It would be nice to have a secure web browser app on the Hopper. If you had that along with print and save capabilities many would really no longer need a home computer. Does anyone know if such an app can or will be done?

I can guarantee not in the works... Not from any insider information... Just something that doesn't sound like a forte dish would want to venture into. Plus, am the more you add to it, the more you take away from it. Let's enjoy the stuff we have, and celebrate the little things that come along. For instance, the game finer, Netflix, pandora, showtime on demand. This is a TV service, not HP(just my opinion). That kind of died out with the Logitech revue, although some devices are making a little bit of a comeback.

Reactions: KAB
Makes me consider hooking up a PC to my TV.

Oh wait! I've DONE THAT! With a laptop, many times. Meh!

Makes me consider hooking up a PC to my TV.

Oh wait! I've DONE THAT! With a laptop, many times. Meh!
I know some people do that. For me it's too clunky and ugly. Also a PITA... For me personally... Maybe it will come in the future the same way smart phones came about with the whole PDA, mini computer, phone features... But I seriously doubt it. I think ROKU and laptops being plugged in are going to be the closest.

I've had a small footprint computer tucked away in my living room for just this very reason. But honestly, I rarely ever use it. Browsing on a big screen doesn't feel right to me. It's often hard to read copy and I need a keyboard to make things easy to navigate. Plus, every time I want to use it, I have to get up, hit the power button and wait for it to boot up.

A browser on the Hopper would eliminate the boot up, but is the CPU beefy enough to handle browsing while doing what the Hopper was actually designed to do? Maybe, but I've found that a laptop in standby sitting on the table next to my easy chair solves all the problems mentioned above.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the replies. I already thought of ALL of your reasons against the browser and dismissed them all as frivolous with one exception. The exception is security and IMHO opinion the ONLY one with serious merit. I personally would consider a browser app a real positive and useful item. BTW, I HAVE a computer connected to my 65 inch HD TV now and have used my laptop as well but having an extra piece of costly AND potentially unnecessary gear is inefficient at best. Too bad they won’t even consider it

Thanks for the replies. I already thought of ALL of your reasons against the browser and dismissed them all as frivolous with one exception. The exception is security and IMHO opinion the ONLY one with serious merit. I personally would consider a browser app a real positive and useful item. BTW, I HAVE a computer connected to my 65 inch HD TV now and have used my laptop as well but having an extra piece of costly AND potentially unnecessary gear is inefficient at best. Too bad they won’t even consider it
To my knowledge, none of the providers are considering it. Just not worth it.

Thanks for the replies. I already thought of ALL of your reasons against the browser and dismissed them all as frivolous with one exception..
I have to say that comment has bothered me since I read it. You were only given ONE reason, security. The rest were opinions or comments regarding experience. Hardly FRIVOLOUS. They were just not to your liking.

I hate reviving old threads but! The Hopper with Sling and Joey 3 have a web browser in them now. I asked the new built-in Google Assistant for the weather and it had a link to Weather.com for more information. I pressed select and it opened some kind of web browser to Weather.com with my weather!

I hate reviving old threads but! The Hopper with Sling and Joey 3 have a web browser in them now. I asked the new built-in Google Assistant for the weather and it had a link to Weather.com for more information. I pressed select and it opened some kind of web browser to Weather.com with my weather!
Wow! You're right. I was assuming it just opened TWC's app, but it's a browser.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)