Week 2 and still cannot get the HD channels, Signal problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

agepag

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 14, 2012
Canada
So here is the situation, I recently got set up with directv in Florida where I have a summer home. I used my Florida address to get the account up and running and brought the dish and ird back with me to Canada. Now I had the dish (slimline 5) installed but we cannot receive any hd channels, its says x 721, but I have the choice ultimate package. So the dealer said it has to be a dish pointing problem. The installer came back and he is trying everything to get all 5 of the of the sats, but why are there two 99 sats and 2 103 sats? When I run the system set up it shows I have errors on tuner 1? I have the new h25-500 ird with the swm switch outside, 1 line from the dish going into the swm switch and that line going into the power supply behind the tv, and then 1 line into the IRD. What are we doing wrong! I understand I will not receive the local programing but I still should be able to receive ESPNHD and speedHD correct?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Also does it make a difference how we try and find the sat signal, i.e. everything hooked up and use the second output on the swm to the signal meter?

Last edited:
:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You could have several issues. First, is the mast plumb? Second, is the skew and elevation set correctly for your location instead of in Florida?
Are you pointing at the 101 satellite? Are you getting any signal at all on any of the satellites? What are your signal levels on all of the sats?
Have you checked all of your connections? Were you using the same lnb in Florida? If not, have you changed the dish/lnb type in the menu?

BTW, you mentioned a swm switch. Are you referring to a swm8? If so, you need to connect four lines from the lnb to the switch for it to work. If there is only one place on the lnb to connect a cable to, it's a swm lnb and you don't need to swm8 switch. In fact, you can't use it with a swm lnb. If you do have the swm lnb, just connect the one cable from the lnb to the power inserter to the H25. Also, there are two satellites at 99 and two at 103.

OP: you "summer" in FL and "winter" in CAN? Really?

Well since I work full time and my wife is a teacher we usualy go to florida march break and July/august! Now regaring the equipment, I do not have anything set up yet at the condo since it has to be approved by the condo corp if I am allowed to instal the dish. What I did was brought all the equipment back with me, I new h25-500 Ird, slimline 5 dish, power supply for the ird and the swm switch ( 1 in 4 out) THe installer was able to hit all the sats yesterday, 101,110,119,99,103, but when I run the test I get error found on tuner 1 and red x's on 99 Odd/even,103 odd/even, nothoing on 110 odd, can this be a bad swm switch? Another thing I cannot figure out is why the HD channel say call ext 721. I am on the choice ultimate package so I should get the channels, I have re-hit the ird 3 times. Another thing is when I go to my settings and I hide all HD channels, I cannot un-do this operation without a full system restore?

Just to be clear, you don't have a switch, it's a splitter. Can you post the signal levels for all of the satellites?

Here are my signal strengths:
101- all 32 above 80% except transponder 26 is at 0
110 - 3 transponders 8-10-12 above 85
119 - 11 transponders 17 to 32, above 80 except 26 and 29 are at 0
99c - 14 transponders all above 70
99s - 16 transponders, 1-6 at 0, 15-16 at 0, 17-18 at 60, 19-20-21-22-23-24 at 0
103s - 16 transponders, 1-2 at 0, 3 at 82, 4-5-6 at 0, 15 at 76, 16 at 0, 17-18 at 45, 19-20 at 0, 21-22-23-24 above 75
103ca - 16 transponder all above 65
103cb - 14 transponders all above 75
Swm - 9 transponders all above 89

Signal meters
101 - 93%
110 - 89%
119 - 95%
99c - 80%
99s - not acquired
103s - not acquired
103ca - 72%
103cb - 80%
swm - 99%
Dish set to slimline 5 swm and swm switch

Just to be clear, you don't have a switch, it's a splitter. Can you post the signal levels for all of the satellites?

What I have is what the company gave my, it has 1 in 4 out and I think says swm on it? I have to climb the ladder to see, but I am pretty sure its a smw, its detected on the system set up

Like I said in a previous post, if you have one cable from the dish, then you have a swm lnb and you can't use a switch with it, only a splitter. They come in several configurations, one of which is a 1x4. Yours should say sws4 on it. Anyway, your signal levels are much too low. Your dish needs to be realigned. You should have at least upper 80s if not all in the 90s, except many on the 99s and 103s satellites, since those are spot beams. Some on the 119 will be low for the same reason.

so your saying they gave me the wrong switch?

What he's saying is it's a SWM Splitter, not a switch ...
See what it says on it... that would be the best way to know.

Persomnally, I would run the line from the dish/lnb into the room and then put the SWM Plitter into place.

Btw, how many recvrs are you running ?

If only one, you don't need the splitter either.

Like Chip asked previously, how many outputs on the LNB ? 1 or 4 ?

You are getting the failure indications because your signals are too low. A correctly aligned dish IN THE U.S. would have most 101 transponders at or close to 100, and 99c/103ca/103cb at 90 or above. Where in Canada are you?
And since DirecTV is illegal in Canada, do you think you will still get permission to install it??

So this is exaclty what I have, WNC MSPLIT4R1-01 4-Way High Frequency SWM Splitter, see link NEW WNC MSPLIT4R1-01 4-Way High Frequency SWM Splitter | eBay

The dish has 1 output only, I am running only 1 ird, the h25-500. From my signal strenght is pretty high, almost all above 85 except for the spot beam hd channels. I understand that directv is technically illegal in Canada I just didn't want to go the card sharing route, I rather have my own account and paid for what I want to watch, I am in Toronto Ontario. You guys think I should bypass the spliter and go diretly to the power supply then to the ird?

So this is exaclty what I have, WNC MSPLIT4R1-01 4-Way High Frequency SWM Splitter, see link NEW WNC MSPLIT4R1-01 4-Way High Frequency SWM Splitter | eBay

The dish has 1 output only, I am running only 1 ird, the h25-500. From my signal strenght is pretty high, almost all above 85 except for the spot beam hd channels. I understand that directv is technically illegal in Canada I just didn't want to go the card sharing route, I rather have my own account and paid for what I want to watch, I am in Toronto Ontario. You guys think I should bypass the spliter and go diretly to the power supply then to the ird?

If your only using one recvr, you have no need for the splitter.

So I took the splitter out and still no HD channels? All say call ext 721 not subscribed. I give up! I might just try and get another installer here to try and get a better signal, maybe that will help. I don't understand what it means that I have errors on tuner 1 odd 13v and even 18v

agepag said:
So I took the splitter out and still no HD channels? All say call ext 721 not subscribed. I give up! I might just try and get another installer here to try and get a better signal, maybe that will help. I don't understand what it means that I have errors on tuner 1 odd 13v and even 18v

It means the signal is either not there or it's not high enough for the system to say its ok. What's your signal strength?

Please listen to us agepag. Three of us have told you that your signal levels are too low and your dish needs to be realigned.

101 - 92%
110 - 87%
119 - 96%
99c - 72%
99s - I have to go through the transponders, but 73%
103s - I have to go through the transponders, but71%
103 ca - 68%
103cb - 76%
SWM - 98%

Please listen to us agepag. Three of us have told you that your signal levels are too low and your dish needs to be realigned.

Ok I guess I will have to get it re-aligned once again! I guess the installer didn't know what he was doing because he said that the signals he was getting was fine to receive the picture.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv drops football pricing 40 percent

directv media player

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)