Week 2 and still cannot get the HD channels, Signal problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok I guess I will have to get it re-aligned once again! I guess the installer didn't know what he was doing because he said that the signals he was getting was fine to receive the picture.

Maybe it was okay when he was done, but not now. Perhaps there are other issues like the mast not being plumb or a loose connection, or the dish not attached tightly to the mast.

Ok I guess I will have to get it re-aligned once again! I guess the installer didn't know what he was doing because he said that the signals he was getting was fine to receive the picture.

Those numbers use to be fine for getting a picture and still are, however, once weather comes into play, you'll lose your signal quick.

All your numbers should be in the high 80's and 90's.

Back in the day, the Recvrs didn't have a test to go thru that failed or passed, I would imagine they were getting to many calls to go back out for alignment issues.

Jimbo said:
Those numbers use to be fine for getting a picture and still are, however, once weather comes into play, you'll lose your signal quick.

All your numbers should be in the high 80's and 90's.

Back in the day, the Recvrs didn't have a test to go thru that failed or passed, I would imagine they were getting to many calls to go back out for alignment issues.

They are good enough to work for the most part except yours borderline searching if the signals are that low. As for the tests, if we have any reason to go to a home we have to run an IV retest on one of the advanced receivers. Standard isn't tested unless an R22 is on the account. We have to get a 4 digit completion code or we can't close the job. If the signals and perfect then we have to realign the dish regardless of why were there

Hi. I will be the 2nd installer attending this gentleman's problem. Before I go there, I have a question of my own.

I have installed the Slmline5 before, and never had problems. The dishes were NOT the SWM LNB, they had 4 outputs on them.

I can't see this SWM LNB being much different in aligning.

Personally, I believe the 1st installer did a proper install, with very good signal strengths. The numbers indicated now, are from the installers 2nd attempt.

The complainant's receiver is receiving the Programming Information & Guide for all his HD channels, which indicates to me he is receiving adequate signal.

My concern is the Error Message he receives, indicating he is NOT SUBSCRIBED to these channels.

This tells me that dish alignment is NOT the issue here. I believe the issue is the receiver needs to be re-authorized by DirecTV.

Comments please & thank you.

With signal strength numbers as low as the 60s, the dish isn't aligned correctly. Why is another question. The reflector could be damaged, or the skew or elevation settings may be wrong, or the mast may not be plumb. Something is amiss!

You could have 30 on the 101 and receive the guide data. As for the 721, yes, the receiver needs reauthorized but the signals are still horrible

Hey guys, I have had the receiver re-authorized twice by calling directv and have done it myself through my online account twice. I have just logged into my account online and under my account overview its says I have the Choice Ultimate package, and my equipment says I have a HD receiver. So I am hopping this is a dish alignment problem, lets hope! Another thing is my dish is about 15-20 feet off the ground and my neighbor is 20 feet away from me so I don't think there is any obstructions.

721 is a programming issue, as for it being a dish problem its part of it but you have an issue with your account as well. Is the bill paid?

721 is a programming issue, as for it being a dish problem its part of it but you have an issue with your account as well. Is the bill paid?

No outstanding balance, I am set up on visa direct pay. The company that set up the account says it is most definitely a signal issue. The 721 message is throwing me off, but let me get the signal above the 90's and then we will see what happens.

OK, in Toronto you should get pretty well the same signal strengths as in the northern USA which means:
101 high 90s or even 100 on most transponders
very high 80s to mid 90s on 99c/103ca/103cb.

But that isn't causing the 721 issue. Does your account show you are set up for HD access, if you can get the channels in SD and not in HD my guess is you do not have HD service activated, and if so reauthorisation will not help. Just because you have Choice Ultimate does not mean they activated HD, even though it's supposed to be included.

That last statement is a good point.
To access HD programming, the literature indicates a customer must have HD Access activated.
I would suggest the customer call DTV back, and have them check his account.
If HD Access is not activated, they won't get HD programming.

Here's a question for you agepag: Did you ever get the hd channels correctly while you were in Florida?

I had a similar issue back in 09. I brought a HR 22 over to my Canadian residence where we spend some of the year. I also had a SL5 installed when I phoned D* for the hit I was missing some HD channels like USA,SYFY,TBS Which where all saying 721 on them, but others like TNT & HBO , Starz came in fine. I had 2 re hits sent and still nothing. I then did another re align of the dish and did a third re hit and it worked.

Ok so here is the update, I called directv last night and it seems the peope that set up the service never told directv to activate the HD channels! I asked directv why would I get the HD ird but not activate the HD channels! All is working, still getting the red x's and tuner error, but I think thats because I can't pick up the local spot beam channels since I am in Canada, hopefully once I change the address to Buffalo all the channels will work!
THanks everyone for all your help and suggestions

agepag said:
Ok so here is the update, I called directv last night and it seems the peope that set up the service never told directv to activate the HD channels! I asked directv why would I get the HD ird but not activate the HD channels! All is working, still getting the red x's and tuner error, but I think thats because I can't pick up the local spot beam channels since I am in Canada, hopefully once I change the address to Buffalo all the channels will work!
THanks everyone for all your help and suggestions

No, this isn't why you have red X's. Spot beams don't factor in to the test the receiver runs. You're dish needs realigned in order to get the proper signal you should be receiving

Well I guess will see what happens in the next couple of weeks. I am getting all the HD channels now so everything is good!

I'm glad you are getting the hd channels now, but Hutch is correct, your dish still needs aligning. It will work fine in good weather, but you will lose channels quickly when it starts raining hard.

Raoul5788, that is exactly what I told him this morning by email.

It's working great at the moment because it is sunny & clear.

Once we get rain on Friday into Saturday, he will see what we are trying to tell him.

Yes, go back to my post (where I suggested you were missing HD access!) Those signal levels (or close to them) should be achievable in Toronto.....
and the red x indicators don't apply to spotbeams, they are telling you your signals from the CONUS (national) satellites are too low..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts