Weighing A Potential EchoStar-DirecTV Merger

I just dont see the point of this merger, from a consumer standpoint. We arent going to get more channels, what else is there out there that isnt already carried for God's sake? There cant be all that much. Plus, if Dish (using them as an example) could get MPEG4 figured out, and convert all programming to MPEG4, they have enough bandwidth at 110 and 118K/119 alone (only counting the CONUS TP's) to carry something on the order of 100 HD channels and 250 SD channels (alloting 10mbit for HD and 1.7-1.8mbit for SD). The Spots arent even included in that count, they could easily add many (if not all) of the missing SD channels in a market, and then they still have all the bandwidth on 61.5, 105, 121, 129 and 148! (Note: all bandwidth numbers were computed using current symbol rates and FEC and modulation type.)

I personally do not want a merger because I want a choice in my programming, not to be forced to 1 decent provided (assuming that a combined D*/E* would be decent?) or having to pay into the cable monopoly for crappy picture, limited channels, etc. I just dont see where a merged E* and D* would be in the consumer interest. But thats just my opinion, what do I know.

I would like to remind everyone of a big negative that occurred during the last merger attempt. During the time after the announced agreement until it was rejected.

Directv completely stopped any development.
Echostar slowed other development while concentrating on looking at what new combined equipment and channels might look like.

It took some time afer the agreement was terminated for new equipment to be released and for new HD channels to be offered.

I hope this happens. I believe there is enough competition out there this time around. There is still cable and now Verizon's FIOS. Prices won't be an issue as long as FIOS is around. Remember, Murdoch helped stop the first merger so he could buy Directv. He has a lot of pull in Washington, especially with this administration. This would have to get done quick. It makes sense. Both companies have spent millions on new birds, new hardware and software to beat each other, when in fact they should be killing cable. Who knows, Maybe Charlie sells to Murdoch and then starts an other company with the emphasis on HD even more. There will be alot of empty birds up there.

I doubt FIOS will be available anywhere near my location in the next 5 years. Maybe more. I think its a bit incorrect to be including FIOS as a viable alternative when they have such a small installed area, opposed to standard cable and satellite. What are the coverage percentages for the whole USA for cable and FIOS? Satellite is an easy one at 100% coverage, I'm guessing that cable would be over 50%, and FIOS? Maybe 1%? Really, I'd like to know.

".... But what this is saying to me is if this is true this could be satellites last real grasp at trying to stay alive. ...."

Then what happens to SatelliteGuys? A Grand Renaming? Maybe a merger.......

Kirby Baker said:
I doubt FIOS will be available anywhere near my location in the next 5 years. Maybe more. I think its a bit incorrect to be including FIOS as a viable alternative when they have such a small installed area, opposed to standard cable and satellite. What are the coverage percentages for the whole USA for cable and FIOS? Satellite is an easy one at 100% coverage, I'm guessing that cable would be over 50%, and FIOS? Maybe 1%? Really, I'd like to know.

I believe cable is around 80%. But your number on FTTH is correct. FIOS or whatever name it goes by won't be a viable alternative for the majority of US households for many years to come.

http://www.telecommagazine.com/Americas/Article.asp?Id=AR_910

U.S. Availability

Even with Verizon’s aggressive pursuit of FTTH, along with the pioneering efforts of both independent operators and municipalities, the number of homes passed by FTTH in the United States remains insignificant. According to recent statistics published by Render, Vanderslice & Associates, more than 1.6 million homes are passed by FTTH.

This represents FTTH availability at just over 1 percent of all U.S. households (see table). This is in comparison to cable modems available to about 85 percent and DSL available to nearly 80 percent of all households. At this current rate of deployment, it will be 2050 before the entire U.S. in on a high-fiber diet.

NightRyder

If direct buy echostar, would us dish customers have to get new equiptment including the lousy dvr that D uses.

Scott Greczkowski said:
There will bumps in the road no doubt about it.

But what this is saying to me is if this is true this could be satellites last real grasp at trying to stay alive.

As of now they dont have the bandwidth or transponder space to effectivly compete, especially with the threat of IPTV on the horizon.

Who would need Satellite when you could have ANY channel or ANY program at your fingertips matched with the fact that you can watch what you want when you want. (We are just at the starting point now for this technology, but I can personally see it getting better every day)

The way things are looking now without a merger in just a handfull of years Satellite once again might just only be a way or transmitting video from one point to a broadcaster for rebroadcast.

Take a look at AT&T's new HomeZone. The is the first piece of the pie. Sure it has a Satellite Tuner in it but effectivly as IPTV advances they could shut off the Satellite Tuner and go strictly IPTV, and in addition why do you think all the new Dish Network receivers have Ehternet ports, even Charlie recognizes that IPTV is the future.

Couldn't agree with you more Scott,D* & E* may wind up going the way of C-band if they can not keep up with all the new tech coming about,look at where all this was 15 years ago and where TV,Internet,Fiber,Powerline Internet,cell phones are today

[Q

This represents FTTH availability at just over 1 percent of all U.S. households (see table). This is in comparison to cable modems available to about 85 percent and DSL available to nearly 80 percent of all households. At this current rate of deployment, it will be 2050 before the entire U.S. in on a high-fiber diet.

NightRyder[/QUOTE]

While I agree with the numbers on cable(85%) I would be inclined to think that DSL is alot less than 80%.Prior to moving form the DC area to the beautiful,quite, relaxed,no traffic,english speaking Shenandoah Mountains,I had DSL through Speakeasy,my neighbor 75 feet away was 27,000' out from the CO while I was only 10,950'-making his only option for HSI cable

navychop said:
I was in favor of the previous merger attempt. Now, I'd hate to see a merger. If such a merger somehow resulted in Charlie running the show, fine, I guess. But I don't trust Darth Murdoch and would hate to see him in charge.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I would much rather see a single company under Charlie than Rupert.

If Charlie sells out for around $10B, I wonder what he will do with his time and money? Probably start up a new company in some communications field. And probably would still have Jim DeFranco and others right in there with him.

Charlie is a rather low-key multi-billionaire as opposed to people like Buffett and Cuban.

Charlie might make some stipulations to selling his company, to be able to remain president or have some sort of control of the company or be involved somehow. Maybe Charlie could startup a nationwide wi-fi or startup his own chocolate factory.

Stargazer said:
Charlie might make some stipulations to selling his company, to be able to remain president or have some sort of control of the company or be involved somehow. Maybe Charlie could startup a nationwide wi-fi or startup his own chocolate factory.
Never happen, these 2 cannot stand each other

navychop said:
I was in favor of the previous merger attempt. Now, I'd hate to see a merger. If such a merger somehow resulted in Charlie running the show, fine, I guess. But I don't trust Darth Murdoch and would hate to see him in charge. I'd have to go out back and start digging trenches to help Fios come to my neighborhood.

My sentiments exactly!

While I don't think a merger would be approved, I wouldn't be surprised if either E* or the new merged entity was required to either give (or sell under very favorable terms) Sky Angel a satellite or a very long term contract for the use of one (and I don't mean the ailing E*3).

My idea of terms might be something like either a reduced transponder lease agreement (such as SA* getting the use of 4 out of 8 TPs) or a long term payment plan with low payments and low/no interest on a satellite.

Last edited:
Dish-Direct Merger? I'm a "Swanni" too!

I have gazed into my mirror, and Swammi-Troll says:
This time because if Rupert wants it to happen, it will happen--and darn quick before his good-buddy Republicans in Congress, who really do influence the FCC and Justice Department, are out of office if the Dems should stumble into power. A shame Rupy can't have *E buy *D, that would be a lot cheaper, but that would be a true repeat of what failed. "This time, Mr. Regulators, it's the other way round, and those nasty, once-hacked to pieces telcos are re-animating again."
As for the supposed Charlie vs. Rupy feud, they really are two of a kind. Massive cost cutters who really do manage to squeeze blood out of turnips (Murdoch actually inventoried ashtrays) and who’ve never seen a cost-cut they didn’t like. As much as people talk about the "bad blood" and the fact that we know how Charlie has to be numero uno, there really is no other person in the world Rupert Murdoch would want more to run the--speculatively--newly merged Sat Co than Mr. Charles Ergan himself.
As for Ergan? Can he really just "go down the road" as he once said about selling Echostar? Me thinks not. Dish is too near and dear to him, and he is far too young to walk away from it now. No, I have no doubt that the only real hurdle for Rupert Murdoch is finding some way to persuade Ergan to stay on. After all, Charlie and *D execs have used the word "Merger" not buyout. And although Murdoch is the ultimate micro-manager (even personally approving news anchors at his L.A. Fox station, and known for repeatedly calling his various top execs several times a day), Rupy is just dying to let loose the Echostar hounds, Ergan top dog, through the fat-laden halls of Direct TV headquarters. Can you hear them trembling in El Segundo above the din of the landing jets at LAX across the way? That can be arranged, allowing Ergan quite of bit of control while agreeing in the near future Murdoch absolute control upon Charlie's retirement. As for Ergan often being cited as "feisty"? Well, it resulted in a big savings for Dish regarding Lifetime channels, so much so that Direct TV sued Lifetime for daring to give Dish a better deal than Direct got. And that is what Rupert really wants: more $$$$. "I'll handle the politicians, mate. You go on and get those rates down from those @%$#* programmers, mate. Cheers."
No, it wouldn't be bad blood. Ergan really is the son Murdoch never had: a corporate soul-mate, the bare-foot boy from Tennessee who sleeps in his spreadsheets and views corporate perks as bleeds from the spreadsheets. Ergan has proved, without a doubt, that you don't have to pay execs $35 million a year to create a powerhouse of a DBS service that did what all his detractors said Dish could never do. And Ergan, ever the tortoise, changed everything--even giving the dawdling, desperate hare, Direct TV, renewed value, causing Murdoch's sudden re-interest in DBS in the USA after he initially fled the scene leaving the poor "bare-foot boy"--business school grad, financial analyst, and son of an engineer--holding the bag. Only Murdoch can tell us how that move ranks among his greatest corporate "Dooohh" moments. While *D execs use words to describe the benefits of acquiring Dish, it is Ergan who uses the language of numbers, communicating the concise $3 billion dollar figure statement. And that is the Siren's song to Murdoch's never ending quest for Imperial dominance, and that is why Rupe will be compelled to do almost anything to co-host, along with Ergan, a welcome aboard corporate tea party in El Segundo: a Charlie Chat followed by a Charlie Slash of Direct TV’s alarmingly high operating costs, overweight passengers included.
The only piece missing to make this a perfect corporate trifecta, in the view of some, is the subsequent union with DBS cousin Sirius Satellite Radio to beget the equally maniacal cost crunching Mel Karmazin. Then, it really would be a triple-slash: Freddie, Alien, and Predator. Cast the roles as you see fit.

Last edited: