Weird OTA signal strength issues...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ucsbgaucho

Original poster
May 20, 2004
I live in an apartment complex, with my DTV satellite out on the balcony and the Terk TV44 clip-on. I know I know, but its done pretty well for me, considering I can't put up anything else. Anyways, I'm switching around channels today and my local digital channels are pretty blocky, audio goes in and out, picture freezes, etc. I go into the setup menu on my Hughes E86 and check the signal strength for the local digitals, and the 3 that I get are all in the 90s, high of 100 and lows of like 86. Shouldn't that mean a perfect picture?

Second question, how do you add an amplifier to my setup, when I have the OTA and satellite signals combined through the Terk diplexor, so only one coax cable is running to my Hughes box? I have the Winegard 2000 preamp, its a two-piece thing with the pre-amp and then the power source, and using this actually made the OTA reception worse. I had the terk going into the pre-amp, then the out from that going to the power source, then the out from the p.s. into the hughes box. Is there a better way to do it?

anyone? now I have the clip-on antenna hanging upside down, off the dish itself, and basically dangling from the cables, and I'm getting great reception! very strange, but I'm not going to move it as long as it gets the channels I want!

The Terk44 has an amplifier built in so adding another amp and inducing more noise to the line would/should only make things worse.

Unless you have both parts of the Winegard amp hooked near the dish/antenna up BEFORE you diplex the signal back together, you will need to run a separate coax to whatever antenna you use. But as I said above, it is not a good idea to amplify an already amplified signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)