Weird Problem Sig & Quality but No Pic

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nautical28

Original poster
May 25, 2010
NC, USA
Ok, so I have an Nfusion HD, Hotdish 90 and am using Invacom QPH031 Quad LNBF.

I am trying to get AMC9 which is my True South Sat since I live on 83 degrees W Longitide. And, the only reason I bought this gear is to get that sat as I want to watch RTV Network.

After getting my Dish pointed to what should be the correct position (186.1 degrees, Elevation 49 degrees) and scanning the Transponders (I have the TP's listed below) I finally started getting Both a sig strength(18-25%) and quality(high 90's), but, can never get channels to download.

I thought maybe I just needed to tweak the dish some more, but then I noticed by something odd by accident.

I accidentally changed from where I have everything set up, as desribed above for AMC 9 which is on 180.0E User 1, to the Telstar12 at 35W which has the settings preprogrammed in my box and hit channel scan.

When I did, I started getting similar sig and quality levels on several of the tp's listed under that sat. This is really confusing me because for one, I do not have my dish pointed any where near that sat (not even sure I can point to it, it may be below the horizon from where I am) and in addition, the LNB setting on that sat is set to Universal 9750/10600.

Any ideas as to what may be happening? I really want to get RTV, but no matter what I do I just can't. The box works fine when using the Terrestrial. And even on Terrestrial, the sig strenght is low in the 18-25% range and quality is high 85% plus range.

This is what I added for TP's on the 180.0E User 1 setting in my box. As I scan these, I do get both sig and quality as listed above for a few seconds on each, but no channels are downloading.
TP - 11734 SR - 4440 POL - H
TP - 11735 SR - 4444 POL - H
TP - 11775 SR - 4232 POL - H
TP - 12140 SR - 30000 POL - V
TP - 12160 SR - 30000 POL - H

And a few others I have found on different forums which ppl say they are using to watch tv on. And, yes I do know the 12140, 12160 are jsut data and I believe the 11775 is just a color bar, just have those in to try and get anything.

I'm surprised that you're getting such a high quality reading with such a low signal, but then, I'm not familiar with the Nfusion.

You're using a linear output on the LNB, right?

I'm surprised that you're getting such a high quality reading with such a low signal, but then, I'm not familiar with the Nfusion.

Yeah, I am using a linear LNB, i'm surprised too. Works fine on the terrestrial side. Just cant figure out why not on the sat side.

nfusion receivers are known to show much higher readings than they really are,

these receivers are not very well suited for true FTA, they were manufactured for one reason only and that is to hack DN,

another problem is the HD i dont think has a blind scan option, if this is true you are going to need to manually enter in the TP info for RTV and then scan that TP,

nfusion receivers are known to show much higher readings than they really are,

these receivers are not very well suited for true FTA, they were manufactured for one reason only and that is to hack DN,

another problem is the HD i dont think has a blind scan option, if this is true you are going to need to manually enter in the TP info for RTV and then scan that TP,

No, these units do not do blind scans. I did however add the tp's manually and when i scan i get sig up to 25% and quality over 85%. I'm still puzzled as to why I even get any quality showing at all on a preprogrammed sat. Especially since the preprogramed sat is no where near the area my dish is actually pointing and it is set for a universal LNB with 10600. My lnb is standard. Just weird to me, maybe it's time to buy a different receiver. All I want is AMC9

Nautical,
My guess is that you might be locked on to a bird, just not the one you want. Some boxes display what bird or service they are locked on to, does yours show anything like that in your setup menu? How is your LNB skewed? If you're looking for your TSS, your skew should be 0. Can you add pids manually on your box? If you have 85% Q, enter the pids and if you don't get the channel, you might be looking at the wrong bird. Since those sats are so far away, an error of only one degree on earth puts you hundreds of miles away from your target in space. By the way, the pids for RTV are: V= 0035 A= 0036 P= 0035. Are you going to set up a motor? If you are, you will want to add your location into the motor menu so that your setup reads "83.0 W" instead of "180.0 E". Not familiar with your LNB, is that one of those that reads circular and linear? If it is, is your coax connected to a linear output from you LNB? Is your LNB universal or standard? What's your LO freq?

Nautical,
My guess is that you might be locked on to a bird, just not the one you want. Some boxes display what bird or service they are locked on to, does yours show anything like that in your setup menu? How is your LNB skewed? If you're looking for your TSS, your skew should be 0. Can you add pids manually on your box? If you have 85% Q, enter the pids and if you don't get the channel, you might be looking at the wrong bird. Since those sats are so far away, an error of only one degree on earth puts you hundreds of miles away from your target in space. By the way, the pids for RTV are: V= 0035 A= 0036 P= 0035. Are you going to set up a motor? If you are, you will want to add your location into the motor menu so that your setup reads "83.0 W" instead of "180.0 E". Not familiar with your LNB, is that one of those that reads circular and linear? If it is, is your coax connected to a linear output from you LNB? Is your LNB universal or standard? What's your LO freq?

Thanks, and no my box does not show what bird. With mine you pick from a list or just add the tp's manually to one of the user defined which is what I did. It won't let me change the name from 180.0E. It has five of them, lol and you can't change the names only the settings.

Also, you can not manually add pids, just transponder frequency, SEC and polarity. You can change the lnbF type also, which I have correctly done. The lnbf I use is one that has both linear and circular; INVACOM QPH-031 QUAD. I have my coax on the linear side. According to Iceberg in his tips section these lnbf's are standard. So, I set the LO to 10750. On the product label it says the freq's are 10750 and 11250.

If I was locked onto another bird, why would I get any quality at all? The reason I am asking is that the box only appears to scan the TP's that I have manually entered. Another bird wouldn't have those same TP's so far as I can tell. I checked on lyngsat for other birds that are close like Brasilsat. There TP's and SEC rates are different. That is why I don't think it is another bird, but I am new and still learning. So, if my logic is bad by all means edumacate me lol.

thanks again

Did you try this one= 11774H, SR4232 on AMC9? That is an nbc news feed channel, is almost always on, and transmits enough power to hit Pluto. A blind-scan capable receiver is almost a necessity these days, as different lnbf may 'see' the signal at a slightly higher or lower frequency, as above might read 11775 or 11774, etc on your receiver. Play around with the given tps from the list, and you may be successful. But I'm beginning to think you might be on the wrong sat also, 83W is a pain sometimes to find.

edit: OK I see from re-reading that you have tried that one. Pick a TP or two off the List for 87W and try those, in case you are aimed slightly off. Finding that first tv channel can take time, but you have to be very close!

I'm still puzzled as to why I even get any quality showing at all on a preprogrammed sat. Especially since the preprogramed sat is no where near the area my dish is actually pointing

it doesnt matter which satellite you select, if it has a TP that is the same as the one your looking for then you will still get quality, it doesnt matter what the name of the satellite is, you can name it anything you want

I have my hands on a NFHD.
Do you have the 8PSK board installed? (I realize it is a Turbo-coded 8PSK board but that's another discussion.)

I get a large amount of loss using the 8PSK board since it is just looped-out and they provide a weak excuse of coax for a jumper

I usually cannot get above 34%Q on the NFHD
So to confirm your settings:
LO: 10750
11735 H 4444 QPSK Auto

I have my hands on a NFHD.
Do you have the 8PSK board installed? (I realize it is a Turbo-coded 8PSK board but that's another discussion.)

I get a large amount of loss using the 8PSK board since it is just looped-out and they provide a weak excuse of coax for a jumper

I usually cannot get above 34%Q on the NFHD
So to confirm your settings:
LO: 10750
11735 H 4444 QPSK Auto

Yes, my box has the 8PSK board. I can get high quality, but only for a few seconds. It seems as though it just isn't long enough to "locK" and download the channel. I'm gonna keep trying to adjust the dish. It still seems odd that it would tell me I have quality when I set the sat choice to other sats. The other sat choice that it scanned had an lnb setting of 10600 and as I mentioned the frequenies and sec rates were different. But, everyone thinks I am picking up another bird who am I to argue. Like I said I am pretty new at this. Thanks to everyone for helping.

Nautical,
If you are on the right bird, it could be your box has trouble reading the low SR. My box is slow to display that channel because of this, and I have an old cheapie that freezes on low SRs.
Sky

this is a good point, some receivers take a while to lock on a low SR specifically when the FEC is high

and if your only using this receiver for true FTA then take out the 8psk board, it doesnt do anything for true FTA purposes

PROBLEM SOLVED :( SORT OF ANYWAY

Well, thanks again to all for the advice. So, I took the box and a small TV up on my extrmely hot roof to see if I just needed to do some tweaking.

After a miserably hot hour or so of nothing, I got frustrated and dropped kicked the box down to the patio! No, just kidding, but I should have.

What I did do, was just for giggles I unplugged the Lnb from the box and then re-scanned. Guess what? I still get both signal and quality!!@!!!!!!

Fricka Frackin Stupid Box!

Anyway, just guessing here but if the box shows sig and quality when not attached to an lnbf I assume it's defective.

Thanks again to all, I guess I have a really expensive digital convereter now. At least it records, not that their is really anything on regular TV I wat to record, but it records none the less. LOL

Sorry about the delay.
I had a similar experience with the NFHD

I have it on hand since I was helping out in trying to return the box.

Anyway, I got better results disconnecting the 8psk board and only watching the regular qpsk stuff.
It was approx. a 5% boost to the quality meter

The box would be tolerable if it didn't have really funky problems pumping out widescreen mpeg4 through the s-video and composite outputs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)