Coolsat 5000 Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

johncomp99

Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Alexandria, LA
I just got a 39" dish with a linear lnb that says L.O. 10.75. I hooked it up to my coolsat 5000 and went into the dish setup screen. when I set the lnb type to single, and the lnb freq to 10.000 I get a level of 75% and a quality of 6% with the dish not aimed. when I change the lnb freq. to the 10.750 like the label says on the lnb, the level and quality bars go away and wont come back even when scanning the sky. I tried aiming with the lnb freq. set to 10.00, but the indicator bars never change they stay 75% and 6% no matter what I do. I would appreciate any help fixing this problem.

Do you already have a dish set up and aimed that you're using? If not, it sounds like the dish isn't aimed at an active satellite frequency.

sounds like the frequency loaded in the receiver is below 11700 so that is why it shows something when you load 10000 as the LNB LO

What satellite are you trying to aim at and what satellite shows in the receiver?

I am trying to get AMC 1, or Horizons 2. I have a DSF120 Satellite Signal Meter Finder that will read about 5 satellites, but the receiver dosen't respond to anything. I tried doing a blind scan when the dsf120 found a good signal, but I only got 1 satellite and that was amazonas 2 (no free stuff there) so I know that the lnb works, that box will blind scan, but only successfully on that one satellite. this is getting very frustrating, but I would still really like to find AMC 1. I used dishpointer.com and it looks like I should have a good shot, and the signal meter did spike at about 103W. the really odd thing is that the receiver in the dish setup menu shows full top bar red, and 6% red bar on the bottom, even when the signal finder says 95% signal! I'm hoping to get a hold of a friends FTA receiver and see what that does. thanks for the responses.

AMC1 will be west of due south , you're not that far from me, remember that the skew on AMC1 ku is really off compared to other satellites, so adjust accordingly. That shouldn't keep you from finding some signal on 103 though. If you can locate a nearby satellite signal, try turning the dish on the pole tiny amounts at a time , and blindscan again. The distance between satellites is a fraction of an inch of a turn, on most fta setups, like 1/8" of an inch to the next bird. If you want ONN or something on 74W that is an entirely different direction. I suggest you pick one satellite and keep at it until you locate it, you can mark on the pole/mount with a pencil when you find something. Then check lyngsat or The List (here on satguys) OR post again. Somebody will be able to help figure out what you've found. Finding that first good signal takes a lot of patience.

Thanks all again for the help. the latest is that I get good readings on my small satellite signal meter as I move the dish left to right. quite a few good full level signals on my scan. my procedure since the coolsat levels won't respond was to find a good signal with the meter, then do a blind scan with the meter connected between the box and the lnb. when that didn't work, I would then find a good level, and then unhook the meter and do a straight cable run from the lnb to the box. Then repeated the process for the something like 7 satellites that the meter got a good signal, but got nothing on the blind scans with or without the meter attached. Also tried auto scan on each. I then brought the coolsat inside and flashed it back to the factory bin. This made no difference. from all the experience out there, does anyone think the coolsat is damaged in some way? it worked a few years ago on 119w , but its been on a shelf for 2 years. From what I've read it shouldn't be this hard to get SOMETHING on the dish. I just can't understand why the meter will pick up the satellites, but the receiver will not. If its your opinion that the coolsat is the problem, will someone please recommend a cheep box with blindscan just so that I know what I am able to receive. I had hoped to upgrade to a PCI card, but can't put up that money not knowing what satellites I can even receive.
-Thanks in advance for the replies.

hi johncomp99. i read your thread. i don't have a coolsat so i can't help with that. however i just wanted to say as a newbie that finding a specific satellite can be very tricky. since amc1 is at 103W you might be seeing 101W which if memory serves is a directv bird. don't give up! good luck!

Beavs

your local oscillator frequency needs to stay at 10750 if you are using a standard ku lnb
changing the frequency to 10000 will not work.

Johncomp,

Ynnedibanez is absolutely correct with the statement above. If your LNB has a L.O. frequency of 10.750 GHz, then you MUST set your parameter in the receiver to match this.

Setting it to any other frequency is totally meaningless, even if you appear to detect a signal level/quality. It is a bogus reading and you should not pay any attention to that result.

Certainly I assume that you would like an explanation of why you detect a reading with an improper L.O. frequency setting (10.000 GHz). With a lack of the precise reason, I can only surmise that it (the receiver) is detecting background noise from the amplifier's own internal circuitry (within the LNBF). Setting the LNB frequency to an incorrect value within the receiver's menus might allow you to detect some sort of oddball harmonic that is NOT associated with any satellite signal.

I know that it looks good to you to see a positive reading on your receiver's meter scale, but it isn't reading anything that is valid. You must ignore this as it is not useful information. It is a bogus reading.

Do NOT try to change the LNB 's L.O. frequency. If it is listed on the LNB to be 10.750 GHz, then you must set it that way in your receiver's menu. You cannot change its "spots".

If it is a zebra and has stripes, then you must tell the reciever that you have a zebra. If it is a leopard and has spots, then you have to tell the receiver that it is a leopard.

I know that sounds a bit silly, but it is just the way it sounds. It is either this or it is that, there is no in-between. The L.O. or Local Oscillator within the LNBF is preset to one frequency and it CANNOT be altered. Whatever frequency that is, (10.750, 9.750, 10.600 or other) you have to tell the receiver what it is so that the receiver knows to look for the appropriate "beat frequency" or the result of the difference between the L.O. frequency and the incoming satellite signal frequency.

This does not matter (regardless of the receiver make or model that you have). It is dependant soley upon the LNBF that you are using.

RADAR

Last edited:
New Receiver same problem!

Just to recap, I have a 39" ku dish with a linear 10.750 lnbf mounted on a 5' tripod. I use a Digital Satellite Signal Meter to get the satellite and then blindscan on the Coolsat 5000. In the coolsat 5k I select the sat I want, set the lnb freq to 10.750 and received a 100% red strength bar, and a 0% quality bar. after not getting anything from the blind scans, i input an active feq. on the satellite I was trying to receive, scanned the sky again, got a 99% reading on the small signal meter, but nothing from the coolsat. So, I found a really good deal on a SonicView 360 Premier and hoped that the coolsat was just broken and thats why I was getting no signal from it. Unfortunately the SonicView is doing the same thing! I have tried 4 or 5 different coax cables, blind scan with and without the signal meter hooked up between the lnbf and the receiver, and still I get only 100% strength and 0% quality on everything I try. Am I just flat out not doing something right? I used dishpointer.com to calculate my elevation and look angle. with those things and a clear view of the southern sky (which I have) I thought that I have everything I need to start getting FTA channels. The whole thing is very frustration as I have spent weeks trying to get anything from any satellite. at this point, I dont care about getting one specific satellite, I just want to see something to show me I haven't wasted my money on this equipment. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
-Thanks in advance,

A signal meter will not help you get good signal quality.

Take a TV and receiver out by the dish and use them to aim with. Set the receiver to a specific transponder. When your aim is close, the strength will be highest.

Then when you have aimed well, the signal quality will register. Aim the dish until the strength is best.

Then, after you get quality, do a blind scan.

Try using this search box technique to find the satellite:

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I do have a tv out with me, and the strength stays at 100% even if I aim the dish at the ground, both readings never change, thats why I'm so confused, shouldn't the strength go away if I'm not anywhere close to the satellite?

no
signal strength means there is signal to the LNB...disregard what it says
QUALITY is what you are looking for

ummm

When connecting the coax to your receivers make sure you are using the right connections. Some receivers have more than one connector and you can easily connect to the wrong port. Had that happen once a few years ago...in my haste to watch some tv, I connected my coax to the wrong port and proceeded to waste the next 2 hours. I knew better! Simple things are often the problem, things that people over look because it's so simple. Trees or buildings can often be the problem...Wrong settings in the setup...using the wrong satellite or tp... Skew on the lnb. The lnb itself...I have seen people think they had the right lnb for FTA and then discover oops...

You're not wasting your time or money it just takes time and a learning curve. Hopefully both your receivers have current factory bins installed with a current sat list...Don't give up, just dig in your heels and keep trying. It's well worth the time!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts