Weird Problem with RCA DTC-210

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Basket_Case

Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I have been having a bizarre problem with a new RCA DTC-210. One or two times a day, I find that certain stations will lose signal partially or completely, specifically on the Disney stations in the 290's. I connected the STB to another TV in aonther room, and the problem goes away.

To rectify this I have tried:
1) using 3 different coax cables from the dish to the STB
2) adding a signal amplified
3) plugging the STB into a different outlet, and using a surge protector
4) replacing the STB

BTW, this problem did not occur using the old, non-HDTV Sony STB.

The one thing that does seem to work is (I am not kidding) turning on all the lights in the room, and rebooting the STB.

Does anyone have ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

I lose HD channels 509 and 78 in the evening. I would bet that we both are suffering signal loss but only observe it on the channels we watch more often (i.e., you don't see the channels you don't watch drop out).

I don't think it's your LR lights or anything else weird. It could be dish alignment. It could be the the 210. What city are you in and what is your signal strength?

Don't think the dish is misaligned. When the Living room lights are turned on, all of the transponders read 82% or better. Turn off the lights and the signals drop on several transponders. At the same time, the other TV, running off of the same dish, shows 80% signal strength or better on all transponders.

I have tried to diagnose this thing every which way, and the lights, which work off of a dimmer, are the only constant. There must be some sort of electrical interference, but for the life of me I cannot fiugre it out. It is especially weird that turning the lights OFF causes the interference.

I am wondering if I should try some sort of power management device. Any other ideas?????

Well, you should have a good quality surge arrestor for the A/V eqiupment (not the coax). As for whether a UPS is needed, that's questionable. I guess if the $50 is no matter, try it.

Is this a single family home with modern wiring, apartment, other?

I think there is so much going on inside the box with channel tuning, transponders, etc, that the lightbulb correlation is probability, not the real cause.

Assuming the STB is plugged into the same circuit as the lights, perhaps when the lights are turned on it causes the house wiring to act as an extra antenna in some wierd way. Just a guess.

Same problem with RCA DT-210

I have the same problem with a few channels (mostly in the 240 range) that drop either the sound or part of the picture some of the time. I have an old Hughes Directv receiver that works all of the time with no dropouts. The RCA is plugged into a UPS so I know it's not a power problem. The picture does clear up when the old Hughes receiver is on at the same time. As for the signal strength, all the transponders show a signal strength of 80 or better except for 4 12 and 20. Transponder 4 and 20 are in the 60's but 12 only show a strength of 35 to 45 on both receivers. Does anyone have a solution or should I call Directv and see it they can help?

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

any luck with HD locals using indoor antenna?

No Indy 500 in HD?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)