Welcome Pack and AMC -- Did it just disappear (for real this time)?

rufwork

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Southeast US
Had Welcome Pack before the NBA playoffs started this year on April 20th, iirc. AMC was on the Welcome Pack up until the playoffs.

Switched to Dish America during the playoffs to get ESPN and TNT. Obviously no AMC on DA.

Switched back to Welcome Pack today. No AMC.

I know the Welcome Pack was supposed to have lost AMC when AMC returned to Dish last year, and dug up a post on that just to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

But it seems AMC was on the Welcome Pack for a while anyhow this year and was taken away sometime between April 20th and today.

Can anyone confirm that? Was I somehow grandfathered in on Welcome Pack to keep AMC and screwed it up somehow? Or was there a free but SD only preview of AMC for April? (I didn't watch AMC before Mad Men came back on, but certainly did catch the first few episodes in SD [sic] glory on the Welcome Pack up until the 20th.)

:confused:

AMC is not include in the Welcome Pack. Not sure why you were receiving it before because it was not recently in any free previews.

Thanks; I didn't think there was a preview. Definitely was on the Welcome Pack, though -- have the DVR'd episodes to show it. ;) I noticed a fellow in the thread I mentioned, above, also received it slightly after the Nov preview cutoff.

Did anyone else see AMC up until at least 4/20? Or was I just really lucky -- until I swapped to DA and back?

Who was that that said provider mistakes are never in favor of the consumer? :D

I had it up until about a year ago & it very much WAS included...but when AMC (& all the other AMC nets) were dropped by DISH & came back, it was NOT returned to WP.
Here is a post back from late last year where they WERE previously in it:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/300119-Current-Channels-that-come-with-the-Dish-Welcome-package

Yep, I know they were supposed to cut it off. I can tell you with 100% confidence that, in at least one case, they didn't cut it off until after 4/20. Just wondering if I was alone in the luckiness.

I knew I shouldn't've switched to DA. ;) Daggumit. If you've still got AMC in your WP, don't switch!

I have the Welcome pack and had AMC until yesterday 6/11/13 and today when I go to ch 131 I get the message that I don't subscribe to that channel. If DISH removed it for good from my package after having it for so long then I will remove DISH, I am so tired of this company.

I have the Welcome pack and had AMC until yesterday 6/11/13 and today when I go to ch 131 I get the message that I don't subscribe to that channel. If DISH removed it for good from my package after having it for so long then I will remove DISH, I am so tired of this company.

Maybe it will be replaced with something else. ;)

I don't want something else, I want AMC, it has been part of my package the last 5 years, and DISH raised the price on the Welcome pack this year. I am chatting with a DISH rep now who doesn't have a clue on what is going on.

Last edited:
Do you really think Dish cares one bit about a subscriber to the Welcome package who threatens to leave? How dare they raise prices when no one else is. I totally understand wanting that channel, and trying to find out if you can still get it, but I think you have to be realistic you have a package that most likely gives Dish no real profit.

Do you really think Dish cares one bit about a subscriber to the Welcome package who threatens to leave? How dare they raise prices when no one else is. I totally understand wanting that channel, and trying to find out if you can still get it, but I think you have to be realistic you have a package that most likely gives Dish no real profit.
It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so quick to defend this company. FYI, I pay DISH a lot more then $20/mo as I also subscribe to premiums. I am planning to leave and I know they don't care. No, I will not be going anywhere else, I am done with pay TV altogether.

I had AMC yesterday, 6/11, and today I don't. Last year DISH dropped AMC and replaced it with HD Net. Since Feb 2013, they have raised my programming costs $7.00 p/m and removed BOTH AMC and HD Net. Wonderful way to treat a 17 year customer. For the first time ever, I'm seriously considering dropping DISH. There are some many options out there today. I already have FIOS internet so it would be an easy transition to add TV. There also is cable and DIRECTV. Or maybe just use streaming for my TV fix. I just bought the latest ROKU and it is lightening fast. So DISH shouldn't ignore the potential cord cutters as they are increasing each day.

The problem isn't a price increase, although 33% is rather pathetic, it's a price increase and losing two channels. During the AMC dispute, Dish replaced AMC and WETV with two channels that were later removed when the dispute was over. I'm sure Dish is making a decent profit on this package. They could at least restore the two channels they removed.

Last year, we provided a free preview of AMC to all customers. This preview ended in November 2012, however, some accounts did not have the preview removed. On June 12 we removed AMC from affected accounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)