Welcome Pack and AMC -- Did it just disappear (for real this time)?

Looks like we have people complaining about losing a channel that they were not suppose to be receiving in the first place. Regardless of if you were suppose to get it or not, channels and packages are subject to change at any time. Channels come and go all the time but people only care when it's a channel they watch. I know I sound like I'm defending Dish but this is just how the industry is. The same could happen to you when you drop pay TV and try watching it online. The content providers could pull their shows from there too or raise prices more if they see more customers watching it that way.

Last year, we provided a free preview of AMC to all customers. This preview ended in November 2012, however, some accounts did not have the preview removed. On June 12 we removed AMC from affected accounts.
That is pretty lame telling people it was a free preview which should have ended. A chat rep told me the same thing, she couldn't understand how I happened to have AMC for the entire 5 yrs I have had the welcome pack.

That is pretty lame telling people it was a free preview which should have ended. A chat rep told me the same thing, she couldn't understand how I happened to have AMC for the entire 5 yrs I have had the welcome pack.

So rather than hearing the truth, you'd rather them say, what?

AMC and WE were part of the original Welcome pack . I still have the DISH email that was sent to me in in February of 2008 that told me about the Welcome pack and the 20 channels in that pack were :

AMC
Boomerang
Bloomberg
CMT
Comedy Central
Discovery Kids
Food network
Hallmark
HGTV
History channel
HSN
MSNBC
MTV2
Oxygen
QVC
Shop NBC
TBS
TLC
WE
Weather channel

AMC & We were removed in the big dust between DISH and these channels over price hikes.

I still have the brochure from that promotion too, it's there. Like any other package though, channels get removed and placed in different packages all the time.

As others have stated, AMC was originally available in Welcome Pack. When AMC was restored in October 2012, it was removed from the Welcome Pack.

The Package cost 14.99 per month and AMC cost a average of .50 per sub. Is just(right) that this there??. i think that if Dish not offered a good or decent number of channel in this package, Drop and then reinstall the access fee for $7.00 per month.

I pay 84.99 a month to dish for top 200. I had 120 but it didn't have bravo which my wife wanted to have. I think it's total crap that its not in the lower packages. Overall I've been happy with dish but their lack of full time rsn's and no Disney jr and espnu in hd has me rethinking my choices for tv. I was told the next month Disney jr will be added but that was just said to me to keep me from canceling I'm sure. Dish is making millions off their customers so why should they play the price increase game just because everyone else does?

Your complaint is totally different than the OP. If I really wanted Disney JR, ESPNU in HD and full time HD RSN's I too would be looking for another provider. And you can get those channels and depending on set-up pay more. If you can pay less and get everything you want elsewhere, I would hope you would do it. But I have no sympathy at all when people single out Dish for price increases. If Dish is so out of line, why aren't all other providers less. (I never include promotional costs) Most all of us think fees are out of control, but even at that, the bottom line is from my choices, Fios, Brighthouse, Charter, Direct TV, only Direct TV would be in the running for costs and what you get.

Any of the providers play the price increase game because the content owners play the price increase game. Both Dish and Direct have about a 9% profit margin from what I've read before. If you want to blame anyone for the price increases, make sure your finger is pointed in the right direction.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so quick to defend this company. FYI, I pay DISH a lot more then $20/mo as I also subscribe to premiums. I am planning to leave and I know they don't care. No, I will not be going anywhere else, I am done with pay TV altogether.

What does getting premiums have to do with the Welcome package? Because you get premiums Dish should give you AMC? Does everyone get additional packages when they have the Welcome package? (The answer is no....) I echo Scherrman, after the new contract I would guess AMC was too expensive for the little profit Dish is making on that package. Being so upset at Dish, just go to another provider that has that package, that will charge you less and that has AMC, and be happy.

I'm sure it has to do with the new contract requiring amc to be in a certain base package along with certain other amc nets.

Easiest solution quit paying for tv until all these programming groups stop diluting their content with 20 different niche channels that don't have enough programming to fill the day without looping repeats.

What does getting premiums have to do with the Welcome package? Because you get premiums Dish should give you AMC? Does everyone get additional packages when they have the Welcome package? (The answer is no....) I echo Scherrman, after the new contract I would guess AMC was too expensive for the little profit Dish is making on that package. Being so upset at Dish, just go to another provider that has that package, that will charge you less and that has AMC, and be happy.
I never said premiums have anything to do with the welcome pack. Please reread my post. I was responding to your comment about welcome pack stubs being of no value to Dish. Just saying I pay as much as someone with a standard package and they should value all subs. I learned from Dish during the AMC dispute I could order AMC shows on Amazon the next day on my Roku, this worked pretty well so I know I have options. I do not plan to stay with Dish or any TV provider.

I never said premiums have anything to do with the welcome pack. Please reread my post. I was responding to your comment about welcome pack stubs being of no value to Dish. Just saying I pay as much as someone with a standard package and they should value all subs. I learned from Dish during the AMC dispute I could order AMC shows on Amazon the next day on my Roku, this worked pretty well so I know I have options. I do not plan to stay with Dish or any TV provider.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

AMC, rip........

Well, my experience is as follows;
I've been with them for approx 10 yrs. Had the lowest tier subscription due to personal budget settings, not a big fan of TV, but do have some shows I like.

I had it until they had a price increase that put me over that which I was willing to pay, something to do with a pas along cost increase.
At around the same time TV stations and we, were forced to go Digital.

It turns out that we are located approx. 30 m, as the crow flies, SW of Chicago and are sitting in a very low area and that the digital signal comes in sporadically, constant loss of the locals. Most not watchable. Outside high quality ant., mature landscape, re. trees, trees and more trees. So i requested if they would give me the locals (I watch them mostly) so I could then keep a subscription, else I would have to cancel.

The CR (very nice person) said they didn't do that but she could give me the Welcome pkg. The cost would be 14.95 plus the 6$DVR fee. It happened to include a number of channels / shows I did like to watch, it also included AMC. I believe that at that time it showed mainly old movies and lots of commercials.

I've had it since then. It was then taken off the air, as you all know.
When it came back they indicated the packages it would be in. The Welcome pkg. was not one of them.

But I had been getting it until two days ago. :( Darn I had gotten into that stupid Walking Dead :rolleyes: and my nostalgic Mad Men.
Oh well they are just TV shows aren't they, so so long.

If they still increase my rates though, I will then give up and put up with the OTA problems.
No hard feelings toward them, I have been treated fairly by them and I have no complaints. Just lucky I guess.:D

rAY.......

Had AMC last 5 years on welcome package until yesterday

We've had AMC for last five years until yesterday.

Although I'm not a big AMC watcher I was upset to see it gone from my guide. When the 33% increase hit I almost felt it was ok because it seemed like we were getting two movie channels and then HDNET movies went away. At that point the $5 increase felt hefty just to meet the new AMC contract. Now I guess we are suckers for believing the Welcome Pack would stay with AMC. Its kind of pathetic that there is not even one crappy movie channel in the package. I'm sure some lame post will come next from a 250 high roller filled with schadenfreude that is cloaked in profound statements of how we should be so lucky that we get what DISH gives us for our measly $19.99.

If you're a high roller and can't handle the venting from us penny pinchers just click the next topic.

I like the term "schadenfreude". You have educated me. I'm also pleased to be a "high roller". ;)

Yep guess I'm a high roller too. Sounds like package envy.

You weren't duped into anything. Packages do change from time to time for the better sometimes and depending on what channels you watch for the worse. Again just drop Dish and go with another provider that will give you AMC in a package for the same cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)