Welcome Package + Blockbuster@Home Poll

Who else would pay an additional $10 a month to add Blockbuster@Home to the Welcome Package?

• Total voters

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I currently have the Welcome Package which is no longer available. I would gladly give Dish an additional $10 a month to add Blockbuster@Home which is not available when you subscribe to the Welcome Package.

Who else would pay an additional $10 a month to add Blockbuster@Home to the Welcome Package?

I currently have the Welcome Package which is no longer available.

Since when????

Agree that subs of the welcome pack should be able to add-on any of the ala carte options, but also feel that NO sub should be denied the HD counterpart of channels in ANY package. Apparently, Dish seems to feel otherwise...............

I'm on the welcome pack for the very reason the rest of the packages are way overpriced & our main viewing comes from content off the internet. However I would pay the $10 fee for blockbuster because I do feel it's a good value for the money. If dish changes this rule, I'm in.

For a very small time you could get it with Welcome Pack as I had it up until my upgrade to HD when I was forced to go with a DA or above package. I was fine with that as I wanted some sports. That said, if PAC-12 ever became available a la carte and you could add it to Welcome Pack I'd be all over it (and voted yes in the poll for BBMP as well). I think it's unreasonable to have so many restrictions on what we can (or can't add) to our packages anyways. If a person wants to pay (for example) $7 a month for Epix why should DISH care what their package is? (Epix isn't available to WP subscribers last I heard).

Welcome Pack is still available

You USE to be able to add BBpack to it but then Dish yanked that away from the WP customers.

On the topic of Welcome Package, what did they replace the loss of AMC and WE with? Anything?

They did add something, but don't watch enough to remember what it was. However I do recall several folks, including csrs stating that amc was never on the welcome package. The wife complained profusely when it disappeared, that's how I knew it was on the welcome pack to begin with.

What is confusing is that if you look at your My Programming page at my.dish.com it will show "Package No Longer Sold" under Core Package if you are in the Welcome Pack.

As for adding the Blockbuster pack I am on the fence as you do get a lot of additional channels if you go to HD but I only have time in the winter to watch movies. If you could test drive it on the welcome pack I would try it for a while. Dish probably won't change their policy unless you can get them to charge more for the Blockbuster pack on a Welcome Package. I think $15 might change their minds.

BabaLouie said:
AXS and HDNet Movies (at least I'm getting them).

Thanks for the info. Still trying to get my parents to move over to this and the Encore package (for the westerns).

Dish probably won't change their policy unless you can get them to charge more for the Blockbuster pack on a Welcome Package. I think $15 might change their minds.

You hit it exactly right.

I would say the Blockbuster package is not making much money per subscriber. $10 in today's prices is not bad for channels we get, and in our house watch often. So I think what is happening is, Welcome pack makes very little profit, BB makes not much profit per sub. Even less if people make use of the free movies by mail. They can offer the BB package at that price for people that are providing them profit, meaning in a bigger package. And once again, Dish does not really want people to stay in the welcome package, so I'm not certain they want to make it more attractive. If people leave Dish over the welcome package I doubt they care much. Their hope is people with it will eventually want more, not want to switch providers and get a larger package. I'm not certain the Welcome package would exist right now if the economy was better. Remember customers with the welcome package can have the same customer service costs as someone with a higher package, Dish can absorb those paying more, but can they for someone barely making them money when Dish has to replace receivers, with shipping etc... or send a tech out.

And just to point out Dish did replace AMC with two very decent channels in this package.

Last edited:
The BB package was available to Welcome Pack customers for only a few months - DISH then pulled the availability without notice. I called a week later to add it but they would not. Being a 15 year customer, I tried to explain that I could spend $10 with DISH or give it to Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime but DISH wasn't interested. Given the chance, I would add it.

Welcome Pack is still available

You USE to be able to add BBpack to it but then Dish yanked that away from the WP customers.

The Welcome Pack is still available on their website for new subscribers, but when I log into my Dish Network account it is listed as a package no longer available. I thought I was grandfathered and if I upgraded to another package such as Dish America that I would be unable to return to the Welcome Package.

I assume they want you to call in to switch back to the WP if you do move away from it
The fact that the website still shows it for new subs (just a different number to call) shows its still available

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts