Welcome Package Help

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I will be signing up for this soon and would like some help in knowing which receivers are available and which is recommended for my non DVR application. I own a VIP311K, Can it be used in my application?
The person I spoke with did not have any answers.
THANK YOU,
NZB324

We do not have any VIP311K model receivers. There is a 311K receiver and a VIP211K, I'm not sure which of those two you are referring to. The 311k is older and is being phased out as obsolete so in time it will need to be upgraded as it will no longer work. The VIP211K is still being used by many customers and we haven't heard and news of it being obsolete in the near future. Either will work with the Welcome Pack.

I will be signing up for this soon and would like some help in knowing which receivers are available and which is recommended for my non DVR application. I own a VIP311K, Can it be used in my application?
The person I spoke with did not have any answers.
THANK YOU,
NZB324

There is no specific receiver needed to get the Welcome package. Any receiver that can be activated by DISH will work. If you are specifically buying a receiver then it is important to know what receivers are no longer being used by DISH, as Israel points out.

I have a 211k I purchased from a local authorized retailer last month and am using it with the Welcome Pack. One of the bonuses is you don't have to pay receiver lease taxes on your bill (if those apply in your state). So, it's just a flat $20 for the welcome pack. You mentioned "non-DVR" application, but just so you know, you can add an external hard drive to the 211k and make it a DVR with no extra monthly fees.

Reactions: pattykay
I have a 211k I purchased from a local authorized retailer last month and am using it with the Welcome Pack. One of the bonuses is you don't have to pay receiver lease taxes on your bill (if those apply in your state). So, it's just a flat $20 for the welcome pack. You mentioned "non-DVR" application, but just so you know, you can add an external hard drive to the 211k and make it a DVR with no extra monthly fees.
There is a one time $40 charge for the DVR software.

DISH doesn't do away with fees , they just roll them into the additional receiver fees . That's what happened in 2010 with the Tv 2 fee and the Dvr fee. It was rolled into the additional receiver fees & depending on what class of receiver you had is what you paid. Now with the Hopper fees , it has gone up 4 times in the last 4 years. From $7.00 -to $10.00 ,then $12.00 and now $15.00. But the joey fees are still $7.00 ,except for the super joey at $10.00.

DISH doesn't do away with fees , they just roll them into the additional receiver fees . That's what happened in 2010 with the Tv 2 fee and the Dvr fee. It was rolled into the additional receiver fees & depending on what class of receiver you had is what you paid. Now with the Hopper fees , it has gone up 4 times in the last 4 years. From $7.00 -to $10.00 ,then $12.00 and now $15.00. But the joey fees are still $7.00 ,except for the super joey at $10.00.

$15 seems high, but from what I understand DirecTV now charges $25 for DVR fees!

Actually its essentially $22
$15 for the DVR fee, and $7 for the receiver.

Old customers prior to 2014 are paying $23-25 depending on their sign up date.

Holy cow, that seems high! I mean, I guess it just depends on what people need/want. But back to what the OP is trying to do, the Welcome Pack is definitely the cheapest way to go with Dish!

Reactions: pattykay
$15 seems high, but from what I understand DirecTV now charges $25 for DVR fees!

For Directv Customers signing up now or from July 24th 2014 pay a total of $22 for a Genie, $15 DVR fee and a $7 receiver fee because Directv charges for the first receiver, then $7 for each additional receiver, mini etc. DISH is $15 for the Hopper because they charge no first receiver fee. Joeys for the Hopper 3 cost $7 each. If a prior Hopper and a Super Joey then $10 for that Joey. (It isn't compatible with the Hopper 3)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)