Welcome to the Awaited New High Definition "DVDs"

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
We would like to welcome all those HD Enthusiasts that are 100% for Quality. Maybe just maybe this will be an outlet for 100% Quality. Welcome all!!!

When the first DVDs arrived on the market, everyone was shocked how good the SD picture can look! I truly hope that the same will happen with HD when the first HD DVD arrive in less than 3 months from now!

Welcome ot our new forum!
:welcome

Ilya said:
When the first DVDs arrived on the market, everyone was shocked how good the SD picture can look! I truly hope that the same will happen with HD when the first HD DVD arrive in less than 3 months from now!
I think it will, not just becuse of the higher resolution, but because the studios will go to great lengths to make these first titles the absolute best HD they can do. The launch titles are some of the biggest movies of the past 10 years, and they will go out of their way to make them amazing. Personally I can't wait to see what they do with The Matrix ... this was one of the movies that really catapulted DVD onto the scene, and it will be interesting to see if it can do the same for HD-DVD.

With standard DVD's shown on my 73" Mitz. there was a MAJOR difference in quality between my old Toshiba player, which was one of the first, and my later much more expensive Denon. Part of this, I'm sure was the progressive scan in the latter and not the former, but I wonder if the same rules will apply with HD DVDs? In other words, will Denon, et al come out with a four thousand dollar player that's measurably better than the first Toshiba HD player due out in a few weeks?

Also, rule of thumb: no matter what the resolution of Mpeg is, the telecine process of 35mm print to HD tape is majorly important in whatever quality one gets with current DVDs, so I'm assuming the same will apply with the HD variety. An indifferent technician can ruin a perfect 35mm source print. Or, as with the recent release of the Sam Arkoff Cult movies from the 50's a lot of us have been waiting for for years, they can be released in the wrong damn aspect ratio!!

puck71 said:
The launch titles are some of the biggest movies of the past 10 years, and they will go out of their way to make them amazing.

I don't know what list are you talking about but the launch lists are rather unimpressive for me...

Cool! Now maybe a dumb question, but will the HD DVD players also do progressive? Like will display 1080i and 1080p??

Sean Mota said:
We would like to welcome all those HD Enthusiasts that are 100% for Quality. Maybe just maybe this will be an outlet for 100% Quality. Welcome all!!!

Fgsilva said:
Cool! Now maybe a dumb question, but will the HD DVD players also do progressive? Like will display 1080i and 1080p??
The first HD DVD players will do 720p and 1080i, but not 1080p.

charper1 said:
and Bluy-ray will have 1080p players

True, but as I understand it HD DVD is 1080i at 60fps and when Blu-rey outputs 1080p it is at a much slower frame rate, 24 fps. Because Blu-rey samples less images I think the end result will be almost the same image quality. Action scenes will look better on HD DVD and still images may appear sharper with Blu-rey technology.

-Robert

T2k said:
I don't know what list are you talking about but the launch lists are rather unimpressive for me...
I think The Matrix trilogy, Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Harry Potter are impressive launch titles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)