Well, bought the BD30 today

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Cant wait to try it out, picking it up later.

If it impresses me more PQ wise than the ps3, ill prob sell the 60gig.

While I love the ps3, i am just not using many of its features and prob am not going to buy any games.

1.1 is the most Ill care about, so Im hoping the BD30 does excel over the PS3 in PQ on BD and DVD upconverts.

What receiver do you have?

SonyStyle.com | Home Theater A/V Receiver (6.1 channel)

Does not do the high end audio formats.

Ive sold a bunch of stuff I dont use because of my upcoming move and decided to run with the 30 becuase of all the positive comments.

Im planning on a Aquos 1080p lcd sometime after my move and figure the bd30 ought to offer a pretty stunning pq.

Im also interested in upconverting. Ive not been impressed with the ps3 upconverting as opposed to the A2. If the BD30 equals the A2, Ill prob drop the A2 and ps3 to get to one unit.

I can't remember, does the 30 only bitstream the DTS MA and TrueHD while the 10 decodes it and sends PCM? This player(the bd30) is the only current one on the market that would consider besides the PS3.

Not sure on the 10, but the 30 does NOT internally decode TrueHD or Master. Its speculated they did this so it'd perform faster/better.

SonyStyle.com | Home Theater A/V Receiver (6.1 channel)

Does not do the high end audio formats.

Ive sold a bunch of stuff I dont use because of my upcoming move and decided to run with the 30 becuase of all the positive comments.

Im planning on a Aquos 1080p lcd sometime after my move and figure the bd30 ought to offer a pretty stunning pq.

Im also interested in upconverting. Ive not been impressed with the ps3 upconverting as opposed to the A2. If the BD30 equals the A2, Ill prob drop the A2 and ps3 to get to one unit.

This review really panned its upconversion capabilities. You'll have to tell us how you like it.

Hardware Review: Panasonic DMP-BD30 | High-Def Digest

Jeff

Just watched a few minutes of Spidey 1 and The Fellowship of the Ring.

Looks pretty sharp to me. I tested both of these on my Sony 75h upconverter and my Samsung BDP1000, BD30 is better. I did not however test the PS3 or A2. The PS3 has always looked soft to me on upconverts, but those two titles appeared sharper, like what Id expect when I threw a dvd into the A2.

My only complaint right now is the fact the open tray button is on the opposite side of the player from the tray. They put the power button next to the tray :mad:

Well if you put it in most peoples homes you will not see the difference.
If you are complaining about the sharpness, you could try your tv settings.
I have a Sony TV (HDTV) also a Panasonic (HDTV) and both of them have the sharpness settings, they work.

Well if you put it in most peoples homes you will not see the difference.
If you are complaining about the sharpness, you could try your tv settings.
I have a Sony TV (HDTV) also a Panasonic (HDTV) and both of them have the sharpness settings, they work.
IF you have to play with sharpness settings you are in need of a calibration.

I can't remember, does the 30 only bitstream the DTS MA and TrueHD while the 10 decodes it and sends PCM? This player(the bd30) is the only current one on the market that would consider besides the PS3.

Yes the 30 only bitstreams the advanced codecs. No the 10 does not internally decode MA (only HR). As of today, no player will decode MA internally. The upcoming BD50 is slated to as is the $2000 Denon and possibly the Pioneer 05F (haven't looked at the specs for thaqt one yet.

S~

Rescue Dawn looks amazing too. Im gonna pop in a couple of titles Ive already watched, but at this point I have to say the BD30 PQ surpasses the PS3.

Damn nice unit so far.

IF you have to play with sharpness settings you are in need of a calibration.
No need, I was just quoting the TV menu has the sharpness settings, I don't need my settings to be messed with, they are fine.
It was an answer elwaylite.

Rescue Dawn looks amazing too. Im gonna pop in a couple of titles Ive already watched, but at this point I have to say the BD30 PQ surpasses the PS3.

In what ways exactly? I'm just wondering how the PQ could possibly be any better than what I'm seeing with my PS3! But I'd hate to be missing out on something better!'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)