Well, it's up!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drboyddrboyd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
US
My good friend who can build or fix anything came over this morning at 8:00, and I took the day off work. Together (me holding the ladder more than anything) we finally got this thing up on the roof.

The supporting framework is Unistrut, painted to match the house (this is the back of the house) and the pole itself was bent for me by some friends at work. The purpose of the bend in the pole is to get it back over the roof, so I don't need a parachute when I'm tinkering with it -- seeing as how this is a two-story house.

I've got the dish pointed south, but I don't have the elevation tweaked in yet, This weekend - I just ran out of gas and time today.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched about how it came out, and I wanted to share it with ya'll and give y'all a big "THANKS!" for all the help and encouragement!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 253
Thanks, all! One of the things not shown on these photos is that the fascia boards are now tied in to the roof supports with steel angle brackets and lag bolts; I don't think the fascia boards were tied in well enough as they were before.

My good friend who can build or fix anything came over this morning at 8:00, and I took the day off work. Together (me holding the ladder more than anything) we finally got this thing up on the roof.

The supporting framework is Unistrut, painted to match the house (this is the back of the house) and the pole itself was bent for me by some friends at work. The purpose of the bend in the pole is to get it back over the roof, so I don't need a parachute when I'm tinkering with it -- seeing as how this is a two-story house.

I've got the dish pointed south, but I don't have the elevation tweaked in yet, This weekend - I just ran out of gas and time today.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched about how it came out, and I wanted to share it with ya'll and give y'all a big "THANKS!" for all the help and encouragement!!!

DrBoyd,

Very nice job! I have to say that I hadn't thought of the problems one might encounter with a tile roof. Not too many folks have a tile roof here where I live. Most all roofs (99.99%) are asphalt shingles around here. Having a tile roof would certainly limit your installation options.

RADAR

drboyddrboyd, that's quite impressive and very clean looking, the unistrut seems to blend right in. now you can paint the dish blue to blend in with the sky :)

Ha! I actually have been thinking about painting the dish pale blue slash flat white to fade into oblivion.... :D

Yeah, anything built here in pretty much the last 15-20 years is tile roof. And this one is a 5/12 pitch, so let's just say most of the sphincter muscles in my body get clenched pretty tight on the way up to the dish and back down.:eek:

DrBoyd,

Very nice job! I have to say that I hadn't thought of the problems one might encounter with a tile roof. Not too many folks have a tile roof here where I live. Most all roofs (99.99%) are asphalt shingles around here. Having a tile roof would certainly limit your installation options.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)