Well, my CM4228 arrived, but...

before going to a preamp, it is best to address your 25 signal strength issue in your current set up.

need more information please so we can diagnose your setup.

zip code

-construction materials of home surrounding the attic area....aluminum siding, stucco, wood, metal ductwork, type of insulaion on the walls. etc.

-length of coax and type of coax from antenna to the tv tuner...rg 59, rg6

-if you are connecting to an older prewired set up...condition of the connectors...observation of what the inside of the connecter looks like.

-Antenna aiming...getting the impression here that you are trying all sorts of different directions during the antenna peaking process. The only best direction is aiming the bowties on the cm4228 to the direction of the towers. Enter your exact address at antenna web, get a compass heading, and aim the bowties in that direction.

-experiment with heigth off the floor.

I am going to mention it again.

Peak your antenna on your weakest uhf channel between 154 and 157 degrees on the compass if that is the heading with your exact address. We are not talking large movements. A few degrees at a time.

Since you are having difficulty with digital, take a look at analog pictures to get your bearings. Notice if there is any ghosting (multipath) or snow (weak signal or attenuation caused by connection or cable issues) in the analog picture.

Move the antenna in small movements a few degrees at a time. step away and look at the picture. Touching the antenna and close proximity of your body to the antenna will affect signal and your results. Be patient.

Adjust the ghost out of the picture if you notice some.

Once you clean up the signal on analog then go to digital and peak the antenna slightly there.

To be honest with you...the towers are only a few degrees apart. The cm4228 has a beamwidth of much more that that and you should not need to move the antenna much to improve the situation there.

subject of note...multipath
Multipath tends to be frequency specific...If the tower is at 154 degrees...and the picture is best at say 165 degrees (since you are peaking on a refection with multipath) its going to screw up the results of the other channels...and this can drive you NUTS!

But you also need to examine the other issues mentioned...cable, connectors, connection, splitting.etc.

If you turn the antenna more than 10 degrees or so to lessen ghosting, you have severe multipath in the attic environment and need to get the antenna outside.

It is always a good idea to install a rotor to get yourself out of a jam on bad signal days even if the towers are just a few degrees apart. This is much better than going on the roof or in the attic everytime.

You turn the antenna from your couch while looking at a picture and/or signal strength meter...lnstead of going to the roof, dragging out the ladder, getting insulation all over you, sweating your ass off, using walkie talkies, asking your honey, getting aggrevated, etc.

Interesting concept isn't it.

Last edited:
I used a new cable - it didn't make a difference.

My zip is 76051.

angle up or experiment with heigth off the floor...

you should NOT have the results you are seeing ... 25 signal...with these antenna web results.

* yellow - uhf KDTN-DT 2.1 DAY DENTON TX 159° 27.9 43
* yellow - vhf WFAA-DT 8.1 ABC DALLAS TX 160° 24.9 9
* yellow - uhf KXAS-DT 5.1 NBC FORT WORTH TX 159° 25.0 41
* yellow - uhf KXTX-DT 40.1 TEL DALLAS TX 159° 25.0 40
* yellow - uhf KTVT-DT 11.1 CBS FORT WORTH TX 157° 25.7 19
* yellow - uhf KTXA-DT 21.1 IND FORT WORTH TX 159° 28.0 18
* yellow - uhf KSTR-DT 49.1 UNI IRVING TX 159° 28.0 48
* yellow - uhf KPXD-DT 68.1 i ARLINGTON TX 159° 24.5 42
* yellow - uhf KUVN-DT 23.1 UNI GARLAND TX 159° 24.7 24
* yellow - uhf KDAF-DT 33.1 CW DALLAS TX 159° 28.0 32
* yellow - uhf KDFW-DT 4.1 FOX DALLAS TX 160° 24.9 35
* yellow - uhf KERA-DT 13.1 PBS DALLAS TX 157° 25.7 14
* yellow - uhf KFWD-DT 52.1 IND FORT WORTH TX 158° 24.7 51

Enter your exact address on antenna web and point the bowties in that direction and follow my suggestions.

keep in mind the following...home construction materials, poor connectors, corrosion etc. can severely degrade signal

If construction materials are the issue ...aluminum siding, foil back insulation, stucco...the antenna will need to go outside for best results.

peak on analog first to get your bearings...check for ghosting (multipath) and snow (weak signal) and go from there after you check your connectors, etc. This will offer your first clues of why you are having poor performance issues on digital.

Last edited:
I installed my CM 4228 in the attic and have had terrific reception (broadcast facilities about 20-25miles away). But I was prepared to put up outside if my reception was crappy (I have a Dish 622). You do have to aim the antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)