Well, my new PC is an XBox 360

dmendenjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
The keystone state
I wanted to build a new computer, but through a long convuleted chain of events, I am now sitting here with a X-box 360. I also picked up GTA4 and Bioshock to start (and ended up with a Lego Indy/Kung Fu Panda double feature still in shrink wrap - is there any trade-in value on that I wonder...)

Anyways, I am thinking of adding a few more titles and would be looking for suggestions... I want to grab Fallout 3, but am gonna wait for one of the boxes to put it on sale first. In the meantime, I was looking at VF5 (if I could find it) and Mass Effect. I was thinking about picking up the original Saints Row, but with GTA4 decided against two of the same games. Was there much of a difference between this years Madden and last years? I know a lot of y'all have a few year head start on me, so seeing what I have listed here, would there be a title I should look at?

depends on what type of games you like.. I'm into the rpgs, rts, some shooters..

blue dragon was a great game
oblivion was amazing (someone said fallout was similar?)
I loved the lego games (star wars & indy)
bioshock is one great game..
halo obviously.. though I've stopped playing it (I dont do well with 1st person shooters)
fable 2 was fun.. short but fun..

I'm sure there are others.. but those were off the top of my head.. :)

Here is what I would pick up just off the top of my head.

Fallout 3
Gears of war 2
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Saints Row 2 in my opinion is a much better game then 1 and GTA4

Madden 09 is a lot better looking then 08 but feature wise its just more of the same.

I'd also pick up the original Gears of War.

I was never a fan of Halo and didn't like Halo 3

depends on what type of games you like.. I'm into the rpgs, rts, some shooters..

blue dragon was a great game
oblivion was amazing (someone said fallout was similar?)
I loved the lego games (star wars & indy)
bioshock is one great game..
halo obviously.. though I've stopped playing it (I dont do well with 1st person shooters)
fable 2 was fun.. short but fun..

I'm sure there are others.. but those were off the top of my head.. :)

Sci-Fi RPG's, Madden (every once in a while), Mayhem games (ala Saints Row/GTA - helps to blow off steam), and easily accessible fighters are my cup of java.

Fable 2 is on my short list, but I think I will grab Fallout 3 before then...

Here is what I would pick up just off the top of my head.

Fallout 3
Gears of war 2
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Saints Row 2 in my opinion is a much better game then 1 and GTA4

Saints Row 2 is on my "when I find them on sale" list. Right now, it's more about the price; I'm cheap. That's why right now I am looking at Mass Effect (at $30-$40) likewise the original Gears of War (if I can find it - been sold out at the places I've been checking lately); when the Christmas Bonus money comes in, Fallout 3 is on my short list.

Not that I frequent it, but saw an ad for Toys R Us in the sunday paper - buy one Wii, PS3 or 360 game at regular price, get $10 off of a second (priced 29.99 or higher) Which is why I'm trying to find a couple of decent titles that I might be able to walk away with for around $50... Mass Effect, Gears of War 1, and VF 5 are on that list (if the store stocks 'em)

I'd spend a weekend enjoying the demos the system has to offer. Unless you're a VF fan, im not sure what the appeal is of the title tbh (just has never been 'my cup of java' :)) but there's a demo to make sure.

You've got the benefit of jumping into a system with a lot of good older titles. If you havent played Halo 3, COD2, COD4, Fight Night 3, Gears 1, GRAW among others you're in for a treat if they're your kind of games.... and those are just some of my favorites for offline single player experiences.

If you're a sci-fi guy, I'd skip Oblivion and go Fallout 3. Havent played Fable. I'd also poke through the meta critic list, and play the hell out of demos on Live to find older cheap gems you can grab used at a Gamestop - Xbox 360 Game Reviews from Metacritic

My wife enjoys the fighting games as much as I do and was looking for a good two player fighing game that wasn't DOA (she is not really a fan of half naked women kicking the snot out of each other....). I'd rather wait til next fall for Tekken, but have had some decent luck with VF in the past.

My wife enjoys the fighting games as much as I do and was looking for a good two player fighing game that wasn't DOA (she is not really a fan of half naked women kicking the snot out of each other....). I'd rather wait til next fall for Tekken, but have had some decent luck with VF in the past.
There's SoulCalibur 4 (as well as the classic original on XBLA), the recently released Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix for XBLA, VF, MK vs DC universe, not to mention the numerous classic arcade/SNK games on Arcade and the upcoming Street Fighter IV.

There's no lacking of fighting games on the 360. There may be a lacking of a good fighting PAD for the 360, but that's another story.

There may be a lacking of a good fighting PAD for the 360, but that's another story.

Amen. Though as a result I just never use the thing and don't really miss it till I try to play something that has memories attached to acquiring 'Nintendo Thumb' as my dad once put it... the soreness as a result of using the DPad a ton over an extended period (fighting games usually).

Last edited:
Just bought a batch of games for me/my son/my daughter from Best Buy (My mom buys a game or two off of me to give to me as she refuses to buy socks and other boredom inducing gifts for me)

Coming to my household this Christmas:

Gears of War 2
The Orange Box ($20 at Best Buy)
Dance Dance Revolution 3
Scene It! Box Office Smash
Turok ($15 at Best Buy on Black Friday)
Call of Duty: World at War

I'm still playing Fallout 3 mostly right now..... Finished the main storyline, but went back to an earlier save to see all the side quests and chase more achievements....

Well, ended up exchanging the Lego Indy/Kung Fu Panda double feature disc (OEM from the 60GB HD Model) for a Sega Tennis/Live Arcade sampler (OEM from the Arcade system) at a local gamestop (like to think I came out ahead on that one). I decided to take the $20 plunge on VF5, the issues with the D-pad on the x-box controller are no worse than what I ran into playing VF on the PSP.

Still want to grab Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Oh, I am completely stoked that they are going to release The Witcher for the consoles next fall (that was one of the few reasons I was originally going PC instead of 360).

I would have traded you the Lego Indiana/Kung Fu for tennis and something else. Anyone else want to trade that combo for something? My kids really want those games.

Gamestop around here has been pushing their buy 2 used games get 1 free deal. Picked up a few the other day. Really like the Gears of War 2!

I would have traded you the Lego Indiana/Kung Fu for tennis and something else. Anyone else want to trade that combo for something? My kids really want those games.
Sorry about that, my wife did me that "favor" while I was at work. But, doing a quick scan of the stores over the weekend, I think it will be a safe assumption that your local gamestop will have a few used copies sitting on the shelf (and if the price isn't right now.... check em out a few days after Christmas ;)

yeah I'll do that. I don't think Gamestop will sell the combo pack used either. They'll take the 2 new discs and put them in their own black packaging and sell them for like $25 - $30 used. Unless a game is like 2 or 3 years old they seem to charge way tooo much for used games.