Well, we just lost KTIV Channel 4/NBC from Sioux City, IA

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
The warning banners only were up for a short time, but at 5:50 PM CDT our local news on the NBC affiliate, KTIV-4, was replaced by commercials by Dish telling viewers why the local affiliate is evil, and why changing to another provider won't work.

We can't get a good over the air channel here. After a $30 increase last week when my two year deal ran out, I'm fed up. I know Congress won't do anything, and I know we can go back and forth on whose fault it is. All I know is I can't watch the shows I want to watch. The whole "They want to charge for something you can get free over the air" argument - does Dish only pay what it cost them for locals? Do they make a profit on what they charge for locals?

docdaddy you are also comfortably within the spot beam for Omaha. I would suggest “moving” to Omaha. Use an address in Council Bluffs so you get both Nebraska and Iowa PBS and more MLB teams. You’ll likely be much happier :)

A76F1829-771B-43CD-B575-D4461A380C1C.jpeg

I’m happily “moved” to the Omaha market. The other advantage is this puts me in MLB’s “sweet spot,” which means I get to view Cards, Cubs, Royals, Twins, Brewers and Sox games :)

The only problem with moving is we do really like getting our local news and sports and weather.

But just out of curiosity, does "moving" just mean going into your account and changing your address?

The only problem with moving is we do really like getting our local news and sports and weather.

But just out of curiosity, does "moving" just mean going into your account and changing your address?

You will have to either initiate a Chat or call them and tell them you want to update your service address ONLY.

Reactions: pattykay
We lost our NBC and ABC affiliates (owned by the same company) in Fort Wayne, IN yesterday. That same company also owns the CW station, which has been "removed" for the past two months. I pay $12 for locals, which figures to be $2.40 per channel for each of the five locals I should receive. Considering that I can also pick those stations up on our antenna for free, local stations are extorting cable and satellite systems.

We have a 722K, and I had the OTA module in it for years. After the last software update, the receiver was flakier than ever. I pulled the OTA module, and all problems were solved - except that I can't record OTA channels, obviously.

Because the FCC allows locals to hose cable/sat customers, this will continue. If I were a business advertising on a local in a dispute, I would be ticked that my message wasn't reaching as many customers as it should.

We lost our NBC and ABC affiliates (owned by the same company) in Fort Wayne, IN yesterday. That same company also owns the CW station, which has been "removed" for the past two months. I pay $12 for locals, which figures to be $2.40 per channel for each of the five locals I should receive. Considering that I can also pick those stations up on our antenna for free, local stations are extorting cable and satellite systems.

We have a 722K, and I had the OTA module in it for years. After the last software update, the receiver was flakier than ever. I pulled the OTA module, and all problems were solved - except that I can't record OTA channels, obviously.

Because the FCC allows locals to hose cable/sat customers, this will continue. If I were a business advertising on a local in a dispute, I would be ticked that my message wasn't reaching as many customers as it should.
So you drop locals and save $12/month since you can get them OTA. Oh wait, Dish "messed up" your ability to receive OTA. Yup. It's the station's fault. Evil bastards.

Get a different receiver, add OTA dongle. Or “move.” Plenty of options here that don’t include endless whining :)

Reactions: Brussam and glynnp
Just curious, by my calculations, assuming (and I know this isn't perfect) about 11 million subscribers, not counting Sling, and assuming about $12 per sub for locals (and I know not everyone subscribes to locals but I've seen statistics that almost everyone does), Dish pulls in about $130 million from what it charges for locals. I do wonder how that compares to what they pay for retransmission rights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)