West coast BEV subscriber

jgard1786

Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Hello, I'm in California and as you know many stations on BEV are unavailable, for example, the Boston locals, LeafsTV channels 406 and 408, 205 and many others.

I understand they switched satellites last year taking me out of the footprint for these stations and even a larger dish will not reel them in.

I have been told a new satellite has been launched that BEV will be utilizing. It will restore all these lost stations.
Can you verify this and when it might happen? I'm losing an awful lot of programming because of this.

Thanks

ok understand the reason for moving to this thread. Will the new satellite in 2008 solve the problem of missed channels?

I imagine Star Choice customers have no such problems, is that correct?

SC has no issues because they use 2 satellites (one for each bird). ExpressVu uses 2 satellites per bird. One covers pretty good and the other is a crappy old DirecTV satellite that when they shifted the footprint north for Canada, they cut off the southern US

The OP's question re: missed channels still hasn't really been answered. I guess any answer at this point would be pure speculation anyway. Any educated guesses?

Being a Dish subscriber, I would love to go with BEV because of my familiarity with the equipment. Having lost my distant nets, the only reason I would want to go Canadian is for the East Coast distants in HD. Are the eastern HD nets available to me on BEV (I live in Southern CA - LA DMA) or are they among the missing channels? If they arent available, I presume *C is my only Canadian option?

I am going to AZ at Christmas. I have evu set up there, but only 91 slot. I'll post what I get down there. It should mirror Socal.

as far as i know to the folks in california and arizona, boston will be unavailable. seattle nbc,cbs and anc are available but fox and pbs out of seattle are not. Question for anglodan , will the satellite to be launched in 2008(I heard earlier) solve this problem of lost stations here in the west and south?

The OP's question re: missed channels still hasn't really been answered. I guess any answer at this point would be pure speculation anyway. Any educated guesses?

Being a Dish subscriber, I would love to go with BEV because of my familiarity with the equipment. Having lost my distant nets, the only reason I would want to go Canadian is for the East Coast distants in HD. Are the eastern HD nets available to me on BEV (I live in Southern CA - LA DMA) or are they among the missing channels? If they arent available, I presume *C is my only Canadian option?

If you go with BEV, the East Coast HD nets are available in all of the US on the 82 bird. As far as what the new satellite footprints will look like, I've heard that reception in the South and West US will be improved. But I've also heard that BEV will aim the new satellites further north and cut out more of the US. So who knows.

As far as Star Choice goes, it is not difficult to get familiar with the equipment.
It is user friendly with a good manual.
For eastern network HD signals, Detroit is available. Also, Rochester,NY- Fox and Buffalo,NY - CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS are there on SD. From the west Spokane or Seattle is another choice.

Star Choice signal is good for all of North America with the 75cm dish. (approx. 25") A larger dish is also available.

If you go with BEV, the East Coast HD nets are available in all of the US on the 82 bird. As far as what the new satellite footprints will look like, I've heard that reception in the South and West US will be improved. But I've also heard that BEV will aim the new satellites further north and cut out more of the US. So who knows.

Carl - Thanks for the response. When there were some transponder moves a little earlier this month that obliterated access to ABC-DT East, I decided that I wasn't willing to make the investment in BEV. I ordered a *C system through KuSat as a Christmas present for the family.

As far as Star Choice goes, it is not difficult to get familiar with the equipment.
It is user friendly with a good manual.
For eastern network HD signals, Detroit is available. Also, Rochester,NY- Fox and Buffalo,NY - CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS are there on SD. From the west Spokane or Seattle is another choice.

Star Choice signal is good for all of North America with the 75cm dish. (approx. 25") A larger dish is also available.
Thanks Clancy - Yep, I just received (yesterday) the *C system I ordered from KuSat. I'm sure I and my 10 year old daughter will have no problem getting used to the new 530 PVR... My wife may have some issues though. It took awhile for her to know her way around the Dish 622 - now she's got a new machine to learn. I think I would have preferred the Boston nets as opposed to the Detroit nets (WGBH in particular) and the more sophisticated PVR that BEV offers, but as I stated in earlier posts, the main reason I wanted Canadian TV was East coast nets in HD. *C seems to be the only choice (for a Californian) for a dependable source of that programming.

If you like sports, you will be impressed with the Canadian sport packages.
Especially the pricing for MLB or NFL Sunday Ticket. Although these two are just about out of season.
Make sure your broker puts you in the time zone you want for the guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts