Western arc dish vs Eastern arc dish worth switching?

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
I currently have a Dish 500 and a Dish 300 at 61.5 is it worth switching over to a eastern arc dish? Would I gain anything by doing it?

Bob

Why do you want to switch? Are you having problems or is money burning a hole in your pocket and you want to help the economy?

The only thing you really gain is a one dish solution and smaller file sizes from the mpeg 4 SD.

What you will lose is signal strength, SD mirrors of HD locals offered by dish (EA drops the SD version once HD is avail) and option of distant nets.

I actually just took down a 1K4 and replaced with a 500 110/119 300 61.5 setup same as what you have.

While I never had an issue with the 1k4 I was moving my setup from the backyard to out of site on my garage roof. The 2 smaller dishes were easier to hide from view and gave me a much stronger signal (especially on 110/119 vs 72/77).

It also depends on where you get your local channels from, you may lose some by switching.

I get my locals from Burlington VT. My thinking was here in New England maybe I'd get an even better signal on eastern arc. Not that there is anything wrong with what I have now the system works fine for me. (knock on wood) :D

I get my locals from Burlington VT. My thinking was here in New England maybe I'd get an even better signal on eastern arc. Not that there is anything wrong with what I have now the system works fine for me. (knock on wood) :D

I think you may loose your Locals if you did that, but I might be wrong. You will loose signal strength for sure, which will increase you Rain Fade. Two the Easter Arc satellites do not cover this area very well.

Easter

I think you may loose your Locals if you did that, but I might be wrong. You will loose signal strength for sure, which will increase you Rain Fade. Two the Easter Arc satellites do not cover this area very well.

So do the Easter Arc sats only work during the Christian holiday of Easter? :D

I currently have a Dish 500 and a Dish 300 at 61.5 is it worth switching over to a eastern arc dish? Would I gain anything by doing it?

Bob
nope...Leave it alone. If you have aesthetic objections then to go with EA. However your equipment MUST be mpeg 4(612,211k,222k or 722k) to receive Eastern Arc signals.
One thing, Dish will battle with you over this. They consider this an upgrade and MAY attempt to charge you.
One thing you can do is attempt to convince Dish of a ;loss of line of sight or objections of a homeowner's association.
I would consider those scenarios to be a hardship and as such Dish MAY switch you to Easern Arc at no charge.
Try musical CSR's to get the answer you want.

I have gotten a customer a free upgrade (after they wanted to charge) to switch to EA setup due to an issue they had with getting 129 in and the work we had to do to get it to work. After we had another problem and I just couldnt get the singal in for some reason I said it would easier, simpler and cheaper to get Dish to swap it all out for EA setup. No problems since.

Nope...Burlington/Plattsburgh locals are off the 61.5

I too would like to switch fromWA to EA because that is where my hd locals are. I get the sd version of the locals, but want hd, but I don't want the 2nd dish. Not having much luck getting switched.

So, is it possible to switch from EA to WA? if I replace the dish myself, do I have to notify Dish network? any issues with authorizations or programming upgrades?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)