Western NY Locals

jwolf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 19, 2007
Niagara Falls, NY
How many people out in WNY are experiencing issues with local channels?

I just got off the phone with tech support at intertech digital, the local dish store, regarding the pixelation and audio drop out on the WNY locals. There appears to be an issue with the satellite at 61.5.

WNY gets locals from transponder 13 on 61.5, and the spot/conus beam has either 'slipped' or been moved by dish resulting in lower signal strength levels. Starting last week, I have noticed pixelation and audio dropping out on the locals. If I watch the same station on split screen with one from my OTA and one from dish, the dish picture will pixelate, but the OTA won't. Intertech told me that dish is aware of the issue and hopes to have it fixed SOON(I think I've heard that one before).

Anyway, if folks in WNY are having issues, that's why.

Last edited:
Assume you mean HD locals for Buffalo? Yes TP 13 on 61.5 is awful. Rochester is on Conus so you will have strong signals there. I really hope they are fixed soon! They are almost unwatchable.

I am only getting a signal strength of 30 on TP 13, 61.5. I watched a bit of my locals this evening, Saturday, and they seemed better. I agree with you, the past week they have been almost unwatchable. I hope that it's fixed now.

This has been going on for a while...

If you look at the coverage of tr13 sb4 you will see it is easier to get the Buffalo DMA channels in DC. As a northern (actually SW of Buffalo) subscriber, I had not had a lock on these channels since the Olympics last february. I have a dedicated 20" dish on 61.5 and can not get them at all (with a 1000.2). I have only marginally better signal on a 1000.4 at our place in Holiday Valley. We have not taken the receiver back yet this fall to see if anything has changed there. I really hope they swap to a new transponder soon (even on 72), mind you the Bills have not been worth watching anyways.

Steve

That is for sure with respect to the Bills. I'm happy that at least they can't lose today, although if anyone could find a way to lose on a bye, it would be the Bills. I was told that the conus beam for my area has moved, either by design or there is an issue with the satellite. It happened in May, but dish hasn't fixed the issue. People in the northern edge of Niagara county are only getting a signal around 12. That is what the field service manager for intertech digital told me.

At least that is a lock @12. My current readings for sb4 are ZERO here in SW.On. The most I could get was about 18 at the beginning of the year.

As an aside- I bought my first DN system at Intertech - there were a lot of people interested in my purchase at the bridge Qw-Le. That was about 1998. Back when you had to pay for 1 year up front.

Steve

Where in Ontario?

I've been with them since '98 as well. Who knows, we may have run into each other at intertech.

I purchased my system there too!! Let's hope they fix the issue SOON. :D

Buffalo HD locals on 61.5 have deteriorated in the past month. Most of the time, I get the internal message "we are working on it..". The levels on the transponder are seldom above 30 when it's good.

At least the SD locals are OK.

I'm using OTA for HD locals with the occasional dropout.

In fact, the Philly locals come in better - a good 10 points higher on SB4, TP11 and I might "move" there.

We live near a small town called Woodstock...

It is about 90 miles west of Buffalo - halfway between Toronto and Detroit. Mostly known for farming until Toyota dumped about $1B into the local economy a few years ago. The signal level on my receiver is still 0 for tp13 while 14 is 65.

Steve

I've noticed the blips on Chs. 2, 4 and 7. They appear on my DVR'd version of 30 Rock but I watched football (CBS/NBC) and baseball (FOX) over the weekend and didn't see the problem.

TP13 is a spot beam, TP14 is conus and not a spot. TP11, TP7, etc are spot beams.

The conus beams are high.

Yea I know 14 is conus - just used it as a comparison to show I am getting good signal on other tr.

Steve

The spots are on E12, the other signals are on E15 or E3.

E12 is now the oldest of the 3 sats on 61.5

The spots are on E12, the other signals are on E15 or E3.

E12 is now the oldest of the 3 sats on 61.5

Is there any plan to fix this issue, like shifting to the sat @72?

I'm just concerned about losing my locals when the snow starts flying around here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)