Westinghouse "30 LCD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsh1885

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I was looking at the Best Buy wed site and they had this "30 Westinghouse LCD on sale for 1200.00, The description lists it as a Widescreen HDTV monitor, but the specs lists the aspect ratio as 5:3, I have never heard of that type of aspect ratio. Does anyone have any info on this. Thanks!

If you evaluate the better-known wide screen aspect ratio of 16:9, you will see that it will boil down to 5.33:3, so I suppose that 5:3 is just a simpler approximation of 16:9.

5.3 isn't 5:3 its a misprint. Many of the Chinese plasma manufacture advertise SD plasma as HD plasma look at the resolution. If its 852X480 its SD. If its 1024X768 or greater and the set's 1200 bucks get an extended in home warranty and go for it. Just checked the site, it's listing the set at 1268X768. Make sure it has HD component, VGA, or DVI,HMDi inputs. I've seen several 1268X768 sets that have non HD component inputs only.

The other thing you might check on the set is response time. Oftentimes response on computer moniters is 15 milliseconds or worse, which is okay for computer moniters but bad for gaming and terrible for video. The price of LCD is dropping like a rock the JVC 16x9 HD moniter (23") just dropped to 999 retail.

I saw that 30" W at BB a month ago and was really impressed with it.
It was next to a Panasonic 26" with the same program and the Westinghouse looked really great.
When I plunge for my second (smaller bedroom) HDTV I will look at the W again.

fred

I ended up buying the Westinghouse set and I have had it about 6 weeks now. It has performed very well and I have not had any problems at all.

Thanks for following up with your experience. It looks like a nice set. Anyone know which manufacturer is marketing under the Westinghouse brand name?

BTW: The set really is 5:3, since it's 1280x768. 1280x720 is 16:9. This set will need a little stretching to use the full vertical resolution for true 16:9 content.

I've got the 27" Westinghouse LCD...bought it for my bedroom. It is a pretty decent set as well!

Westinghouse 30" LCD TV

Has anyone been able to use a univeral remote to operate the Westinghouse 30" LCD TV? I have bought and returned many including the learned remotes.

Thanks

John

The 37" Sceptre does 1080p and priced just over $1500 at Costco. I've read a long review over at AVS and other than some of its built-in OTA ATSC tuner-related issues, the owners are liking it. Some 37" Westinghouse units, on the other hand, have severe banding issues.

plachta said:
Has anyone been able to use a univeral remote to operate the Westinghouse 30" LCD TV? I have bought and returned many including the learned remotes.

Thanks

John
I have the 32" Westy and am using the RS Model 15-2138, similar to lsh1885's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma and LCD Duke It Out As Prices Slide

Hitachi 57s500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts