WGN HD...why bother????

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK maybe its me but the whole WGN HD is a joke.

Other than the ball games, I have seen very few things are in HD....so tonite I tune to Smackdown (since its tape delayed and I missed it on my local CW)...tune to HD channel to get

FRICKIN BLACK BARS!!!

Why does WGN bother to say they're HD when they don't show HD channels in **gasp** HD???

I dont know as TBS isn't allowed in Canada. Peachtree TV is though :)

Is TBS mainly stretch-o-vision or just "black bar central"?

Most things on FX HD or just sd stuff with bars. Whooo Hooo!! Seem like a popular way to attract subscribers.

"Hey we have 1,0000,000000,000 HD channels.... (Fine Print -As a pizza pan provider all content may not be true HD or HD at all for that fact. We have you under contract and you will be stuck watching whatever limited bandwidth crap we send your new 3000.00 tv. We are sorry for any dissapointment as when you contract is up we will have 20 of our customer service reps call you and try to talk you out of dropping us by offering free tivo's and reduced premium channels for your first 6 month.)

ICE, you can catch two and a half men in hd around, 5 or 6ish. Thats in hd. I also have noticed that WGN has upgraded to HD graphics between shows. I think they have plans on showing alot more hd, but for what nots they havent.

I think the issue is WWE Smackdown IS in HD...but WGN decides not to carry it on their HD channel

Maybe their syndication contracts don't allow it?

WGN does show Smackdown in HD. Atleast I have seen it on WGNHD before Locally.

I think what happend is Smackdown got prempted by the Sox game last night. So they ended up tapeing the feed and not showing it from it's distribution feed from the network. thus when they showed it it wasnt in HD. Now the way to get around that in the future would be to tape in both sd and HD and when they replay play both tapes.

WGN does show Smackdown in HD. Atleast I have seen it on WGNHD before Locally.
OK...Canada gets the local feed.

I think what happend is Smackdown got prempted by the Sox game last night. So they ended up tapeing the feed and not showing it from it's distribution feed from the network. thus when they showed it it wasnt in HD. Now the way to get around that in the future would be to tape in both sd and HD and when they replay play both tapes.

possibly. Guess I'm use to seeing it on at the normal time didnt think about the pre-emption and them not getting the HD feed

I'll have to check next week :D