Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcycle_rider

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 8, 2004
Northeast Michigan
It started off when I noticed $22.00 for Ringtone and Joke text alerts on my cell phone bill. Broken down as follows.
$5.99 Poly Ringtone Club Subs
$5.99 Poly Ringtone Club Subs
$9.99 Text Alerts - Jokes.

I called up my cell provider (Alltel) to complain. My daughter does use custom ringtones but she makes her own and uploads them via the datacable for her phone so I know she did not subscribe to the ringtones. She did say that she did recieve a text for sexchat and replyied to stop to end it. Alltel states its a third party provider and they cannot reverce the charges and I need to contact the company. Well the 800 number for the company only allows to add a number to subscribe and the E-mail only autoresponds. So there is no real way to contact this third party company.

I then asked if they could block all charges to my account from third party companies and they stated that they could not but they could shut off my texting capabilities. This to me is not acceptable I feel that a third party company should bill me directly and not be allowed to bill my phone account. This would get rid of the damn unauthorized charges.

I feel your pain. I have T-mobile and I get spam text messages, and of course I get charged for them. I call T-mobile and they say theres nothing they can do. I even asked to have texted messaging blocked and they told me they couldn't do that because it was a "phone" feature therefore they couldn't do anything, but I could sub to there "unlimiting" texted package for $5.00/month, I laughed at them and hung up. I wish they would pass laws like they did to land phone to stop bull $h!t like this from happening.

I feel your pain. I have T-mobile and I get spam text messages, and of course I get charged for them. I call T-mobile and they say theres nothing they can do. I even asked to have texted messaging blocked and they told me they couldn't do that because it was a "phone" feature therefore they couldn't do anything, but I could sub to there "unlimiting" texted package for $5.00/month, I laughed at them and hung up. I wish they would pass laws like they did to land phone to stop bull $h!t like this from happening.

Well at least Alltel did tell me that they could disable the text function on the phones. That would be my last option. Also I can block specific numbers/emails from being able to text me. Problem is the lady admited that these companies would just find a way around the blocking of their text address's. That was the point where I was ready to go balistic so I politely ended the call and will continue to try to get charges reversed tomorrow when I am a little more calm.

I really try not to blow up at CSR's as I know that they are bound by a set of rules. I can altho make it a point to call and complain about it till the cost of me complaining outway's the cost of them reversing them.....err i hope

On another topic related to this. How would I form a letter to send to my representitives to inform them that I would like legislation written to protect me and others from situations such as these.? Altho it is the first time it has happened to me coworkers have stated simular issues.

I am not very good at expressing myself in writing so I would like to get my point accross in a civil manner.

M_R - Get the names/addresses of your representatives from your local newspaper, then just copy/paste what you had in your OP into the body of the letter as a solid start. Add at the end that you want some legislated protection from this kind of unsolicited third-party misbehavior that is costing you and potentially thousands of other constituents (i.e., voters!) considerable money.

PS - I cruise on a LowRider - What's yours?

I believe it is now illegal for them to send you unsolicited text messages. That certainly doesn't stop it. You can put your cell on the do not call list now. And I don't believe they can't back out the charges. I believe Cingular does.

I had something like this happen with Sprint last year, I called them up and they were able to remove the charges from my account. It sounds like Alltell just doesnt have the option set up to address your problem, I wonder how much Alltell gets from these companies that go through they're service to run these less than reputable businesses.

Also can you post the name of the company and its website if it has one?

I have U.S. Cellular, and all incoming calls, including incoming text messages are free.

bhelms

I no longer have my motorcycle. It was a Honda Shadow but other responsiblies required me to sell it. I will pick another up in about 4 more years :).

Van.

I can only post the information from the reply message from when Alltel told me to message them to stop. I checked that domain and its registered in Australia. But When I called Alltel back they all the sudden had a different e-mail wich was also registered in Australia. I will post the exact company when I get a chance, tomorrow.

Bogy
The problem is that I am being charged from a 3rd party company for ringtones err jokes or something that I never asked for. My actual bill from Alltel for their services is correct but the additional "third party" are what I have issue about. Also in my area there are only 3 cell providers available to me. Alltel, Nextel, and Cellone. As I am now cell only and Alltel has been good to me for the last 5 years we choose to stay with them when we went straight cell. I had Cell-0ne for about 4 years or so before we switched to Alltel and there was alot of service issues. Nextel is new to my area and have few towers here so not a viable option in my mind.

Bottom line is I probably will just pay for the charges but I want insurance that this cannot happen again.

And finally. I will do a rough draft of a letter I intend to send out and post it here for critism before I send to my representitives. As you can tell my punctuation and spelling ARE terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts