what a deal I just got.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

terpfanatic

Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
I had a comcast guy come by the house and gave me their new offers (the triple play with free HBO/SHOW/STARZ). So I called and asked about cancelling my service. I ended up getting a free HR20 ($20 shipping fee), $10/month off my bill for a year, free HD service for a year ($10), free HBO/SHOW/STARZ for three months, and I had them relocate my old R15 to another room. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, especially considering I was planning on getting the HR20 pretty soon anyway.

How does this compare to what other people have been getting lately?

They've always been good about giving away things to retain people. They have done things for me that TWC wouldn't even consider!

In fact, when I told TWC I was leaving, their arrogant asses made sure to tell me "You'll be back" "Most customers who leave for D* come back"

Now you would think that they would try to get me back, but I've been gone from them for close to a year, and nothing. Not at the time of closing the account, and not after.

D* on the other hand has thrown freebees at me left & right, and I'm not going anywhere!

Good Luck!

They've always been good about giving away things to retain people. They have done things for me that TWC wouldn't even consider!

In fact, when I told TWC I was leaving, their arrogant asses made sure to tell me "You'll be back" "Most customers who leave for D* come back"

Now you would think that they would try to get me back, but I've been gone from them for close to a year, and nothing. Not at the time of closing the account, and not after.

D* on the other hand has thrown freebees at me left & right, and I'm not going anywhere!

Good Luck!

He is staying with Directv.

I wish E* would give deals like this when people call to cancel. They just tell you "don't let the door slam you rear end while you leave".

Nice deal. Folks that are on the fence with D*, it doesn't hurt to try even if you are not seriously going to cable. D* has taken great care of me over the years. I give them a good amount of money on time and they don't mind throwing me a bone or 2 every year. Its a good relationship.

Nice deal. Folks that are on the fence with D*, it doesn't hurt to try even if you are not seriously going to cable. D* has taken great care of me over the years. I give them a good amount of money on time and they don't mind throwing me a bone or 2 every year. Its a good relationship.

Yeah I never had any intention of actually switching. I've had comcast before and between their service outages and their ridiculous customer service, I have vowed to never go back.

Just make them think your leaving. It probably helped that I was quoting the comcast offer and explained that it would save me $40 a month (but that didnt include the extra cost from comcast for HD and DVR). The comcast offer I was quoting was $99/month for digital cable with HBO/SHOW/STARZ, 6MB? internet, and unlimited phone service.

Yeah I never had any intention of actually switching. I've had comcast before and between their service outages and their ridiculous customer service, I have vowed to never go back.

Just make them think your leaving. It probably helped that I was quoting the comcast offer and explained that it would save me $40 a month (but that didnt include the extra cost from comcast for HD and DVR). The comcast offer I was quoting was $99/month for digital cable with HBO/SHOW/STARZ, 6MB? internet, and unlimited phone service.

Yep. Mentioning a competitor and specific deals triggers certain deals on their end. Its like a roulette wheel of offers depending on what you want, how long you have been there, how many hearts you have, what you subscribe to, do you pay your bills on time, etc. A good deal also depends on how nicely you ask and how good you are at negotiating. I've actually called up pretending to be my brother and friend under their account to get them stuff. I'm actually pretty good at working it.

I wish E* would give deals like this when people call to cancel. They just tell you "don't let the door slam you rear end while you leave".
Yeah Dish tells you when you come back you will need to pay them $25 to turn back on your service. :)

When I was with E* I was resetting my receiver daily (I had a 522 in the living room a 510 in the bedroom and a standard receiver in the office. Well when i calle dhtem and complained about resetting the 522 constantly they told me there was nothing they could do. well i moved it to the office but wanted a dvr for the living room. it took me contacting the ceo office to get a 510 for the living room.. and i was a lease customer. after all that they audited me and cut my service off (I had all receivers plugge din to the same line but they assumed since i had gotten another receiver that i was stealing service) when i calle d the audit dept back i jsut told them to cancel and called robert at VE

I got a great deal on the equip.. did my own install... then the only time ive called retention is when they were having the HR10250 for 199. and i called retention direct, never treatened to cancel.

i may have to to get the HR20 and AT9 for free but ill try other ways first.

Depending on the customer care rep that you get, you don't have to say that you are cancelling service. Ask for the installation department(you will get the best deals here without going through retention). I just got off the phone with the installation department and here is the deal that I received. I received another HR20(3rd HR20 on my account) for just $20 shipping fee that will be billed to my account, 6 months of Showtime for free, 3 months of Cinemax for free, 1 year of HD Access and DVR service for free, and Superfan for next years NFL Sunday ticket for free. It may take you a few calls to set things up without going through the retention department but it will help you in the long run with the hearts program if directv is still using it.

Last edited:
Depending on the customer care rep that you get, you don't have to say that you are cancelling service. Ask for the installation department(you will get the best deals here without going through retention). I just got off the phone with the installation department and here is the deal that I received. I received another HR20(3rd HR20 on my account) for just $20 shipping fee that will be billed to my account, 6 months of Showtime for free, 3 months of Cinemax for free, 1 year of HD Access and DVR service for free, and Superfan for next years NFL Sunday ticket for free. It may take you a few calls to set things up without going through the retention department but it will help you in the long run with the hearts program in directv is still using it.

I went through Installation Department and got 3 HR20's for $300

It took me four calls to directv to get all of that stuff. The first call got me Cinemax and Showtime for free. The next call got me the Superfan for Sunday ticket. I got everything else on the third call but they wanted me to pay $100 for the HR20 plus $20 for shipping. The last call I got the rep to give me the HR20 for free and the $20 shipping charge for the receiver will be billed to my account. It took four calls in all to do it but as soon as I hung up from one call I dialed the next one. I as on the phone for a total of 36 minutes for all four calls.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)