What Am I doing wrong? Noobie Questions!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cegarrett

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Shreveport, LA
I won a StarBox USB FTA Receiver from the SatelliteGuys Birthday Blowout so I'm trying to get it working. I got a 36" Fortec Dish and an Invacom Universal Single KU 0.3 dB LNBF along with a cheap signal kit. According to the Signal Kit I found a sat somewhere to the west of E* 5 (which is where I gave up yesterday) I think I'm on G10R but I can't seem to Scan anything in. Is there a way for me to figure out just what bird I'm pointing at? I'm new to this and not very happy with my experience so far. Also when I'm scanning the Meter (when connected to the Starbox) jumps up and down. So I don't know whats going on. But when I found this "new" Sat (I found it by dropping my elevation by accident) I was plugged into the battery pack and the signal didn't jump.

Any help at all is appreciated,
Cegarrett

P.S. Should I buy the Quad Invacom LNB so I can have the Circular and Linear in one LNB. I didn't catch the difference before I bought the Single.
Thanks Again, Cegarrett

I went thru the same problems until the following:

The satfinder worked well, but when the signal was at its highest, I got no quality. So I brought out the old TV and receiver whre I could see them.
Providing that the pole is well mounted, adjust the elevation angle for your location. Then adjust the tilt and secure it. Finally rotate the dish until you get maximum signal on the finder. Don't forget to account for magnetic deviation.

Then look at the TV screen (make sure you have the right LNB and TP chosen for the bird you're looking for) and look for quality while rotating the dish 1/4 inch at a time. You should get quality.
Then adjust the elevation and tilt to peak that quality on the screen.
You should then be able to get chanels.

Good Luck! :D

Thanks, but I still need help :)

Thanks for the info!

I'm using a Starbox USB and but can't seem to find a Quality/strength Meter. I've thought about looking into a set top box but until I get a chance to "see what's up there I don't think the wife will go for that.

Thanks Again,
Cegarrett

more info

Could somebody post there experience or best methods for linning up dishes to these birds. I am a veteran to dish alignment and let me tell you its no cake walk. I have the bird dog meter and the Spaun meter and niether works well. It must be a Brain Fart on my part, i'd like therapy but can't afford it.

Cegarrett said:
Thanks For the info. At least I'm Beginning to think it's not all my fault.

Cegarrett

Pick up a universal LNBF , they are pretty cheap . Now , figure out what is your due south sat & try to find it first .

Wyr

O.k. Im trying again

I recently traded scupmando my Starbox for a Satwork 3688 receiver. I don't have a line of site for my True south Sat. But since this is a fixed mount (for now) I want to point at G10R. I'll be using the Receiver to "Tune" the Dish on the roof.

What "Channel(s)" are the strongest that I can use to point the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)