What am I looking at (C-Band Dish)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

partyharty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Hello everyone,

I have got a line on a nice "C" band dish. I was able to go by and look at it today (from the road). House is in the process of being sold and when the deal closes the owner has said that the dish is mine. I am pretty well versed in setting up KU equipment now but I really have no clue on C band equipment.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to move this dish (what do I need to take with me? I am thinking about a recripicating saw with a metal cutting blade (I am thinking about digging into the ground and cutting the pole below the ground line). Do these fiberglass style dishes come apart or are they 1 single piece? I have a full size truck (long wheel base with an 8 foot bed) so I should be able to get it home. Any hints from those who have gotten dishes in the past as to what I need to take?

Thanks,
Chris

I have edited it to include the pictures now (I forgot to put them on the first time)

Attachments

• satdish1.jpg
    satdish1.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 277
  • satdish2.jpg
    satdish2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 258
  • satdish3.jpg
    satdish3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
most dishes are in pieces. I know the 10 footer (mesh) I got a year or so ago was in 4 pieces and the 6 footer (solid) I have now was in 6 pieces

Thats good, I am trying to figure out how I can get it in the truck :>
I figure it will be a week or two (before the house closed) but I had to go look at what I was getting myself into

Looking at the East side of that dish's arc gives me flashbacks of the 'Cascade Belt'.

It's hard to tell from the pics but the dish looks like one big piece to me (no flanges on the back). Bring help to pick it up ;).

I'd take the dish off of the mount and then take the dish apart if possible. Take the buttonhook off if you have to. I'd try to sererate the mount from the pole but it may be stuck as it looks like a healty amount of rust on the mount / pole.

Worst case lay the dish across the top of the bed of your truck and drive slow :).

I'd bring penetrating oil and a good size collection of wrenches. Don't forget the crecent / Vice grips just in case. You may need a wire cutter for what's left of the ribbon cable.

Thats what I was expecting (lots of rust). I hope I dont have to drop it across the back of the truck (will probably tip one end in the truck and let the other ride up a bit on the side). I live about 15 miles from where the dish is at so driving slow may not be an option (either way I go I have to go through fairly populated area's).

Not sure if I can get help (but I am sure going to try). Seems like many of my friends suddenly develop the medical condition (acute personas disapperias :>). This is a serious medical condition which usually persists until I get the job completed. These are the same friends that have no problem getting me to load full size upright piano's for them.

I'd expect that to be one heavy mofo. Don't underestimate the weight of that thing! There is a reason that mount looks like part of a tank.

I took down and put up my 8' mesh dish by myself and I was barely able to get it on the mount. Besides the weight, a dish this size is just plain awkward to pick up.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
I'd expect that to be one heavy mofo........... Besides the weight, a dish this size is just plain awkward to pick up.

Shawn

Yeah I hope that I can get some help with it. I did notice the mount looked pretty heavy duty. I am guessing but it looks like its about an 8 foot fiberglass (all I saw it from was the road so I am not positive as to the size). I dont expect it to be light.

That is a single piece ODOM dish, it is about 200 lbs w/out mount. I have one just like it. If you remove mount, make sure you mark it to get mount back in same place.
Do not change any mount setting, when you get it back up a home all you need to do is rotate on post to get it realigned.

oljim said:
That is a single piece ODOM dish, it is about 200 lbs w/out mount. I have one just like it. If you remove mount, make sure you mark it to get mount back in same place.
Do not change any mount setting, when you get it back up a home all you need to do is rotate on post to get it realigned.

Thanks Oljim, I will have to get some help with it then. 200lbs (without mount) is way to much for one to handle on their own (given the shape of the dish).

My neighbor has a dish identical to this one. It's one solid piece and it sure is heavy. He keeps going through cheap actuators because he goes too far east and dumps the dish. Then, when he tries to move the dish back to the west with the actuator , the thing is so heavy he chews up all the gears. He's been through 3 in the past year.

Do you live far? you may be able to just lift it off the pole and lay it down in the truck, red flag and slow driving with rope would hold it.

tdti1 said:
Do you live far? you may be able to just lift it off the pole and lay it down in the truck, red flag and slow driving with rope would hold it.

I live about 15 miles away (over old hwy roads), its less than 5 minutes away from the house via interstate (but I am not even going to try that).

Being as heavy as it is I am not sure what I am going to do (esp if I have trouble getting help).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)