what angle does signal come in from sky to the dish?

jaschier

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I am going to be adding dhpp soon (to get the free dishmover) to see if I can get signal in the new apartment. It will be third story, has balcony that has a roof, and railings come up about 3.5-5 feet (guess). There are trees (pine that won't lose their needles) about 20 feet straight out from the building, and go about 20 feet higher than the balcony. If I stand on the balcony looking straight out, directly south is about 50 degrees. Basically, i'm not sure if i can get signal because the balcony has a roof, my last one didn't, and the trees may be a problem. I understand that the signal comes in something like 15 degrees above the center of the dish or something like that?

Build one of these if you don't have one already. Look through it at the specific azimuth and inclination with your eye at approximately where the middle of the dish will be mounted, and make sure nothing's in the way.

The signal comes from exactly the inclination angle for the particular satellite. There are several online tools for determining what this is.

Pepper is right - the elevation numbers given by the receiver or any of the aiming programs are "correct", or "absolute". Azimuth numbers may (Dish Point Dish screen) or may not (most programs) be corrected for magnetic declination.

For the record, though, the Dish500 has a 22 degree offset.

Since it's very near sun outage time when the sun lines up behind all satellites you can use the sun to tell if you have a clear line of sight to the satellites. The first couple of days in October I believe will be the most accurate for this test. If you can see the sun above the trees in the Southerly direction to your satellites you will be OK.

SimpleSimon said:
For the record, though, the Dish500 has a 22 degree offset.

Is that why some people get signal with the dish seemingly pointed downwards towards a roof or ground and still get signal?

Also, when I setup the dishmover, I plan on telling them I won't have a tv or anything there, but just want the guy out to see if he can get signal and if he can reschedule. That will give me time to figure out alternatives, because install appointments are almost 2 weeks out from whatever date you call the cable company, and I don't want to be stuck 2 weeks without college ball. Should I tell them that or just not mention it?

Lorenzo said:
Since it's very near sun outage time when the sun lines up behind all satellites you can use the sun to tell if you have a clear line of sight to the satellites. The first couple of days in October I believe will be the most accurate for this test. If you can see the sun above the trees in the Southerly direction to your satellites you will be OK.
Right - but remember, we don't know where he is - it might not be southernly, but more westerly.

jaschier said:
Is that why some people get signal with the dish seemingly pointed downwards towards a roof or ground and still get signal?
Right. A sat elevation of 22 will have the dish appear to be looking horizontal. Note that the dishes you are looking at that look WAY down are probably not satellite, but terrestrial wireless. They are aimed basically horizontally, but because of the offset, appear to be looking into the ground.

jaschier said:

Also, when I setup the dishmover, I plan on telling them I won't have a tv or anything there, but just want the guy out to see if he can get signal and if he can reschedule. That will give me time to figure out alternatives, because install appointments are almost 2 weeks out from whatever date you call the cable company, and I don't want to be stuck 2 weeks without college ball. Should I tell them that or just not mention it?

dont waste my time...uh can you drive out here on your on dime, tell me if its gonna work and come back when im readdy....um no.

pack out a tv...the smallest one you have. and dont forget the remote.

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)