What anoying and crazy things happen with your FTA set-up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Things dont always run smooth when i turn on my receiver and heres a few things that go wrong once in a while!
1-Do a blind scan one day getting lots of tps and the next time the scan picks up nothing on the same satellite.
2-Go to a channel you know is there but no Q!Reboot the receiver and presto a 70+ Q.
3-Motor stops short or long slightly when going to a programmed satellite.
4-Signal Q peak varies on two different ku tps on a satellite (slight motor tweaking needed) I find this mostly on 30 w.
5-Motor not always moving at the same speed!picks up speed at times.
6-Hear little clunking noises when i get my dish down low <40w.
7-A great sig one minute and zero the next.
No birds nests or bees nest yet!maybe they havent found the dish yet:).Noted!!These are all things that have happened to me but not on a regular basis.Most of the time my system behave.Im sure others have storys to tell about weird things that happen!Lets Here it.

TP overload is always a pain on the pansat here. It really does wonky things like assign tp 99999 to things, not add channels when they are found in blind scan, etc. It's all a memory leak junk.

The variance in tp signals is on 30w is probably because of L vs V or the fact that there's a Hispasat 1 and 2, so you are seeing two satellites in the same location, and one may be giving slightly better signals then the other, but you never know since they both sit at 30w... Weather over the ocean also plays a big role with 30w.

Usually if I lose signals quality fast it's because motor is off a little. Sometimes my motor does better going one way instead of the other - I can't remember which is better east to west or west to east, but especially in winter it's noticible that one direction is better then the other. Think ice must collect on it or something? Also, over time wind changes the dish's location. I'm currently 2 degrees off on the entire arc, and have to compensate by subtracting two degrees from every bird in the receiver.

My first motor screwed up royally one time for some reason, so I had to get a second one about a year and a half after I got the first - just got a new one since the price of sending in the original for repairs was only a few bucks cheaper then buying a new one on ebay. When I installed the second one I made darn sure to handle with care, and actually added some extra guide wires to to the pole to make darn sure the thing does not move up or down. The wind still moves it east to west in bad storrms sometimes, but it's still on the arc as far as elevation goes, so it's an easy fix in the software of the reciever without manually changing anything on the roof. I think I have about 3-4 extra "guide wires" on the pole since the original motor shifted down in elevation over that year and a half I had it up. The guide wires keep that from happening. Basically just ran some copper wire from the pole to several different locations further up the roof and made them stay put with some scews in the roof, all of which was later topped with some tar to keep it from causing leaks. Some say to never put dishes on the roof, but for us, it's the best place to do it since roof faces south, and apartment is across the street that's fairly tall on the south side, and with it on the roof idiot kids in the neighborhood aren't tempted to come and mess with it like the mess with other junk in our yard - stupid city had our front yard as a bus stop for kids a couple of years ago, so they were always messing with everything.

Most annoying thing for me right now is that my 241 cband lnb doesn't work on the H TPs after the lnb gets warm.

It does work on the H's if I stick it in the freezer for awhile & then reinstall it or I put an ice pack on it.

Most annoying thing for me right now is that my 241 cband lnb doesn't work on the H TPs after the lnb gets warm.

It does work on the H's if I stick it in the freezer for awhile & then reinstall it or I put an ice pack on it.
Just the opposite here. I've got a GeosatPro-C2 on my 7.5ft, that the vertical side craps out whenever it wants to...BOTH outputs! :eek:
This time of year around here it's either 100+ degrees out or torrential downpours, :rant: ....so it's gotta stay this way for now. :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)