What antenna, amp, splitter to use.

johann12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
NC, USA
What would be the best antenna to use for 60 mile distance. What about a amplifier with an low noise and not to forget a splitter for 3 TV.s
Any recommendations? My home is located in a hole below surrounding ground level and I have trees around me. My current antennas are 35 feet up and pointed in the same direction and it has a rotor.
I'm thinking of getting a 13 foot antenna and a $60 amp. I already have the whole house wired with RG6 quad.
I still would like to get some recommendations since my TV signals are breaking up every few minutes.
Is it possible that my chinese 36 db amp is breaking my signal up.

Post your tvfool

Tvfool.com

we can't make any suggestions until we at least we know what we're working with. it's like going to your car mechanic and saying the car don't work fix it. it's hard to give good advice when we have limited information

As Iceberg said, post your TV Fool report.

Instead of a splitter to go to the three TVs, use a distribution amp. A splitter will lose 3db or so and the signal will drop splitting to the three TV's, a distribution amp will stop the drop from splitting to the three TVs.

This is the distribution amp I use, they're available with different #'s of outputs :

Amazon product ASIN B002M1EPL0
Just pay attention to what you get, some are pre-amps also and may not work well if you already have a pre-amp.

Here is my tv fool link for my locaton.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8e03d49bdb7710
I was trying to copy and past it here, but I do not know what I am doing wrong for not able to do that. At least the link is working.

Thank you for the solidsignal link and their info there. I need to go and find out how many splitters I have now and how the cable is run.

I think the link for the distribution amp is missing.

Also to note here when I said in the original post above '' My current antennas.....'' I have three 4-foot UHF antennas pointed in one direction and they are hooked up parallel with an 300 ohm cable and then a matching transformer ( can't remember the proper name for it) and then a RG6 down lead to the amp and then to a splitter or splitters which I need to investigate.

Thank you so much for your response.

Last edited:
Here is my tv fool link for my locaton.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8e03d49bdb7710
I was trying to copy and past it here, but I do not know what I am doing wrong for not able to do that. At least the link is working.

Thank you for the solidsignal link and their info there. I need to go and find out how many splitters I have now and how the cable is run.

I think the link for the distribution amp is missing.

Also to note here when I said in the original post above '' My current antennas.....'' I have three 4-foot UHF antennas pointed in one direction and they are hooked up parallel with an 300 ohm cable and then a matching transformer ( can't remember the proper name for it) and then a RG6 down lead to the amp and then to a splitter or splitters which I need to investigate.

Thank you so much for your response.

Can you clarify your current antenna setup It sounds like you may be creating an impedance miss match which will actually reduce the antenna reception. Also are the 4 antenna all the same models?

I have three 4-foot UHF antennas pointed in one direction and they are hooked up parallel with an 300 ohm cable and then a matching transformer
Picture? and maybe a hand drawn diagram of the wiring (phasing harness), maybe?
Your locals are strong enough to rule out most pre-amps**.
Think I'd use two 4 bay antennas*, one aimed WSW the other SE.
If on the same pole, couple them together with equal length RG6 and a 2 way spllitter(in reverse) see How it works (before committing to this set up) and maybe re-aim one or both to see if it can be improved. If not to expectations:
Each antenna to a distribution amp(2) to 'feed' to A/B switches at each TV.
No headaches with one antenna interacting with the other negatively. No "Z" mismatches.
* their 'coverage' is around 60+ degrees. I easily get one channel that's more than 30 degrees to the side of where the 4 bay is aimed.
**Would have liked for Solid Signal to also list the overload spec on that page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts